Can Hymns replace propers
  • a1437053a1437053
    Will start a Schola one day!
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    I have 10-15 copies of the Tieze book of entrance proper hymns that I can send someone. just write me privately with your address.

In my view, his book is a wonderful idea but my own problem with them is as follows. He uses conventionally known traditional hymns and sets the proper texts to them. But the people know these hymns with other texts. That's more or less the way these hymns work. Each age, each country, each denomination has certain entrenched expectations of text associations with certain tunes. To change them so dramatically struck me as an unviable project, strangely ahistorical, like singing Sanctus Sanctus with Veni Veni -- it is just not a comfortable fit. I'm a believer in proper texts, but the texts are not magic in the sense that they can be plugged into any musical setting. So the spirit of the project is just great. He is right to have undertaken it, but the final results just point to a problem with disregarding the unity of text and music.

Gavin, we are all doing what we can to work toward propers in everything we can influence.
  • In the interest of further reflection, I've come up with a few questions of my own regarding the de facto replacement of propers with hymns.

Feedback welcome; perhaps with some refinement it can serve as a basis for discussion at the local level.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I think there is yet another reason to sing the propers instead of hymns. Traditionally, the Church interprets the psalms as prayers of Christ: by praying and singing the psalms, we direct our prayers to Christ, who speaks of Himself in the psalms, or we pray with Christ in unison to the Father. As the texts of the propers are chiefly drawn from the psalms, the one voice of the Church in the liturgy is therefore the voice of Christ. Singing the propers, the voice of Christ Himself sounds forth through our lips to the Father. I do not know of any modern hymn which has the same spiritual depth. By replacing the propers with hymns, we remove Christ from Mass - and gradually from our minds and hearts.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • miacoyne
    I'm adding English Propers (strating with communion antiphones in English). I found 3 from CMAA front page; Fr.Kelly, Fr. Weber and Richard Rice.
  • Kathy
    We use the Rice Introit before the opening hymn at the "high" OF Mass.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Jeffrey, I agree with you only partly on hymn tunes and texts being locked in. It really depends on the parish's overall repertoire. If the only know about 100 hymns (and I'm counting Christmas carols here) then surely texts and tunes are equated. Once a congregation is really exposed to the depth and width of hymnody, including mixing of texts and tunes, this is not nearly the case.

Another point occurs to me, especially in Catholic liturgical circles. If only 2 verses are ever sung of any hymn, including all of those beautiful Christmas, then you're getting very close to sort of hymn "incipits". But, if there is ever a chance to sing ALL OF THE VERSES, people will catch wonderful phrases in a variety of all those verses.

Tune commonality is also a very useful tool. If you have a hymn text that is only good for St. Stephen's Day, then you only get to use it annually. If you're stuck with whatever tune it is set to in your pew worship aid, you will probably skip over it, and just sing some more Christmas carols. But if you set that very special text to a tune the every knows, voila. The congregation at Our Lady of Walsingham seemed to really like "Abbott's Leigh", so I ended up setting almost a dozen feast day texts to it!
  • Pes
    How to move forward with Propers, hmm...

Latin in EF, done. (English in EF done in simple polyphony by Richard Rice.)

Latin in OF, done. The Graduale presents its own schema, which sometimes differs from the Roman Missal's.

English in OF presents problems. Introit and Communion antiphons from the Roman Missal are printed in (e.g. GIA) missalettes, but these are intended for reading, not singing. If you want to sing English propers in the OF, you've got options. Roughly:

- American Gradual, adapted Graduale schema and melodies with 1979 BCP (American) and RSV translations
    - Anglican Use Gradual, adapted Graduale schema and melodies with older BCP (e.g. Coverdale?) translations
    - Complete English Propers by Paul Arbogast, Roman Missal schema, new melodies (modern notation, good beaming), Confraternity of Christian Doctrine transl. of psalms, not sure about the transl. source for the antiphons
    - English Propers by Samuel Weber, Roman Missal schema, new fauxbourdon-like melodies (modern hand-written notation), various translations (ICEL, Douay-Rheims, RSV, etc.), organ accompaniment
    - English Propers by Columba Kelly (incomplete), Roman Missal schema, new melodies, ICEL translations
    - By Flowing Waters, schema/melodies from the Graduale Simplex, which follows the Graduale's schema, NRSV translations

Corrections to the above are greatly welcome.

Our moving forward with English OF propers is not an obvious decision. Schema, translation, and melody are all factors still in play.

In my view, an ideal a collection of English OF propers would have the following features:

- harmonized schemas of Missal and Graduale
    - English translations that are more accurate, elevated, and musical
    - neo-Gregorian melodies representing organic developments of those in the Graduale.
    - modal organ accompaniments
    - fauxbourdon settings of psalm tone verses.

By next week, if possible.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks, Kathy. ( I found RR propers match the current missale. )

"Will start a Schola one day!" a1437053

Can a regular choir or even a cantor sing a short antiphone in English? I think communion antiphone is easy to start , like when the priest receives the communion, usuallly there's no music or just organ. And more verses can be added gradually and eventaully no hymns until the communion finishes?
  • miacoyne
    "English in OF presents problems. Introit and Communion antiphons from the Roman Missal are printed in (e.g. GIA) missalettes, but these are intended for reading, not singing."

I'm getting very confused again. You mean the propers of Fr.Kelly, Fr. Weber and Richard Rice don't match with those from Roman missal? I just checked with the missalette I have and our parish uses (Celebrating the Eucharist by Liturgical press), the antiphones seemed to match. Or you mean the texts have to be modified to set to a music?
  • Pes
    Mia

The propers of Frs. Kelly and Weber do match those in the Roman Missal (1970). They have composed music for them, though a good argument has been made that they were intended to be read, not sung. I'm persuaded by that argument.

I'm not persuaded that the set of texts represents an excellent job -- think of the time it would take to compile a new set of antiphons for a brand-new three-year lectionary! They rushed to get something out there, that's my guess.

RR's polyphonic propers follow the 1962 schema. RR's communion propers (Communio) follow the Graduale's schema.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks, Pes. I'll start with whatever is available now, until we can really do the latin Propers in the future.

I was looking at the communion antiphone of the 3rd week of Easter season from 3 different missals; Daily Roman missal, missalette, Gregorian missal. They all have different communion antiphones. (Fr. Kelly and RR match with the missalette) The communion antiphone in Roman missal is the Alleluia verse after the first reading in Gregorian missal, and it is the communion antiphone of year A (according to RR and Fr. Kelly), but this is the only communion antiphone provided for the 3rd week of Easter seaon in Roman missal. My head is spinning. Don't understand. I wonder the new translation is going to fix these problems.
  • eft94530eft94530
    miacoyne: "3 different missals; Daily Roman missal, missalette, Gregorian missal. They all have different"

The Extraordinary Form is simple, with one set of propers everywhere you look.
    What you find in the Daily Roman Missal
    you should see as text adorned with music in the Graduale 1961 at (62 MB, right click, save)
    http://www.musicasacra.com/pdf/graduale1961.pdf

Vatican Two reforms included calendar modifications.
    A three-year Sunday cycle (A,B,C) and two-year Weekday cycle (I,II) was created.
    Days were renamed (e.g., "Third Sunday AFTER Easter" became "Fourth Sunday OF Easter Season").
    Texts were moved according to the cycles and additional texts added.
    Propers were moved to comply with the new arrangement.
    Additional recitation texts were dropped into the Missal at Introit and Communion.
    Make sure you are accurately mapping between the old-to-new and new-to-old calendars,
    and distinguishing between sung versus spoken texts.

The Ordinary Form is more complex.
    The Graduale Romanum 1974 has the propers arranged according to the new calendar
    http://www.musicasacra.com/pdf/propers1974.pdf
    The Gregorian Missal 1990 puts them within the context of the Mass (25 MB, right click, save)
    http://www.musicasacra.com/books/gregorianmissal-eng.pdf
    Vatican Two Missals and missalettes have texts that are to be spoken.
    See GIRM-2003 # 48
    http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1719&page=1#Item_8
    and read article "Graduale or Missale: The Confusion Resolved" by Tietze (3 MB, right click, save)
    http://www.musicasacra.com/publications/sacredmusic/pdf/sm133-4.pdf

miacoyne: "I wonder the new translation is going to fix these problems."

Singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider"
    when the cake appears at a birthday party does not get fixed by
    singing "Really Tiny Arachnid".
  • miacoyne
    Thanks, eft94530. I really appreciate your info on this. I'm going to work on it. I'm fighting a small battle in an area where most churches never heard of something 'called 'Propers' (or at least they 'forgot' about them. No EF in this area) I have to be well equipped, otherwise I can lose.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    One other quirk of the new Kalendar is "Good Shepherd" Sunday, which is one Sunday later than in the old Kalendar. I.e. it was last Sunday in the EF, next Sunday in the OF.

The EF Missal, since all the Propers were fixed for every Mass, used a short-hand of the Latin incipit of the Introit to define the entire Mass.
  • Kathy
    The Meinrad introit for this coming Sunday is super, btw.
  • Richard R.
    "RR's polyphonic propers follow the 1962 schema. RR's communion propers (Communio) follow the Graduale's schema."

What polyphonic propers are you referring to? My Simple Choral Gradual uses the texts from the 1985 Sacramentary.

Furthermore, Communio follows no liturgical schema, but lists the antiphons alphabetically; it contains liturgical indexes for both ordinary and extraordinary forms of the Rite.

I do try to make this all clear in various prefaces...
  • Pes
    RR

Right, so I was shooting from the hip about this -- http://musicasacra.com/books/simplifiedgraduale1962.pdf -- those aren't polyphonic, but simplified ones.

Sorry about the confusion re: Communio!
  • miacoyne
    I was confused at first too, until I saw RR's "Choral Gradual' under choral music in the front page of CMAA site. I hope people notice that there are two different collections by Richard! Thanks Richard for all your work.
  • Pes
    Mia

I should append a little footnote to all my posts that says, "there is an x% chance that this post is accurate." For that one, I should've put it around 80%. :-)
  • miacoyne
    Pes, I really appreciate your info. You already said in your post "Corrections to the above are greatly welcome." I believe this is implied in all other posts in this forum.
    I do worry that these are confusing. Even I get confused about all the material up here. Tons and tons of it! Can you imagine what it must be like to be new to all of this?
  • miacoyne
    I just have to believe we can only do our best, and no efforts are wasted.
  • Pes
    I worry about this too, since it would be a mistake to forget that most people are still new to this entire landscape of references. A single webpage of links organized by Mass type would be helpful. Imagine:

Holy Mass in the Extraordinary Form (High Mass, Latin)
    - Missal (1962)
    - Psallite Sapienter
    - Graduale (1962), Communio (RR's)
    - Polyphonic Propers
    - Parish Book of Chant
    - (other resources)

Holy Mass in the Extraordinary Form (Low Mass, Latin and English)
    - Missal (1962)
    - Psallite Sapienter
    - RR's Propers in English
    - Parish Book of Chant
    - Suitable Hymnody
    - (other resources, eg. Sancta Missa for rubrics, Fortescue, etc.)

Holy Mass in the Ordinary Form (Latin)
    - Missal (1970)
    - GIRM
    - Gregorian Missal (x), Graduale (1974), Graduale Simplex (x), Communio (RR's), etc.
    - Polyphonic Propers (leading to a liturgical index with links to cpdl)
    - Parish Book of Chant
    - (other resources)

Holy Mass in the Ordinary Form (English)
    - Missal (1970)
    - GIRM
    - sung Ordo Missae booklet
    - sung readings tutorial
    - Chabanel psalms et al
    - on a separate page, all the available resources for chanted propers
    - Polyphony page
    - (other resources)

Divine Office (Latin)
    - oy...

Liturgy of the Hours (English)
    - oy...

This would be a page that lays out links to all the resources so that how to move closer to the ideal is made easy and people know what goes with what.

The Musica Sacra sidebar is great and has tons of stuff, but it's a sidebar.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • G
    Superb idea, Pes.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Richard R.
    "Holy Mass in the Extraordinary Form (Low Mass, Latin and English)...
    - RR's Propers in English..."

Dag gummit, Pes! No English Propers never, Low Mass or High, in the Extraordinary Form.

So let's try this one more time...

Resources prepared by R. Rice available on CMAA website:

- Communio: contains Latin Communion chants with verses for both Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms
    - Simplified Graduale (1962): contains simplified settings of the major Propers (Gradual, Alleluia, and Tract) for the Extraordinary Form
    (can be used for corresponding chants in the Ordinary Form)
    - Offertory Verses: contains Latin Offertory chants with verses for the Extraordinary Form
    (again, can be used for corresponding chants in the Ordinary Form)
    - Simple Choral Gradual: contains settings in English of Entrance, Offertory, and Communion chants for the Ordinary Form

and of course...
    - Parish Book of Chant: selectively useful for all occasions... makes a great gift... etc.
  • Pes
    Sorry, Richard!

This little snafu demonstrates, by the way, that it could be easier to have all this material presented in one place in a tidy, accurate manner.
    Well, this type of organization is great if you want materials for only one form of Mass but as Richard suggests, most EF materials can be used in the OF but not usually the reverse.

What we really need is a good database that can organize everything according to how people want it. EF/OF, English/Latin, Author etc. etc.