Joys and Sorrows of the Triduum
  • ghmus7
    On Easter Sunday, I played in a wonderful parish that had a beautiful organ, with professional brass players and singers with additional tympani.
    Later that day, I took my kids to Mass at another parish. The music there consisted of three guitars all out of tune with each other and a few awful singers. It was actually painful. The church has a 35 rank beautiful organ that hardly is ever played!
    Why does this happen in the Holy One and Unified Catholic Church?
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • a_f_hawkins
    For the Vigil I went to my small parish church. Priest past retiring age, organist in her eighties, four servers of whom lead is in his seventies and recovering from a stroke and the others are clueless schoolchildren. It went well.
    Main Mass of the Day at the same church, with the same principal cast, disaster. Everybody missed their cues, starting with the entrance antiphon and hymn long before the procession had formed in the sacristy. When the celebrant finally arrived at the altar, there was no charcoal in the thurible; and it went on like that!
    I suspect that at the Vigil people knew that they did not know what they were doing, so looked to the celebrant for cues. But Mass of the Day is Mass, they think they don't need to check! And the congregation at the Vigil had an order of service, with all their parts in it, for the Day they had a commercial newsletter with the antiphons, prayers and readings, but needed the hymnal as well.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Things were reasonably smooth for us, except for the lighting of the fire which was attempted without an accelerant in a brisk breeze. Some volunteers ran to collect dead ivy twigs while others returned from the restrooms with paper towels. These did make a bit of a blaze before the wind swept them away towards the front row of children, who screamed with delight.

My wife reported a near riot Sunday morning when it was announced that only children who had brought their own baskets would be allowed to hunt for eggs; only a few nervous laughs followed the "April fools" disclaimer.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • KyleM18
    Sorrows: At the cathedral where I sing/play, the main organist is deaf and relies on an earpiece in order to play. Holy Thursday, he didn't have it in, so the organ was a measure behind all the other instruments, when it was even played on time. Easter Vigil, he had it in, and still never came in on time. The microphones also were going in and out, so you could only hear the Bishop/Cantor/Choir about a quarter of the time. Some music choices were asked for by the bishop that probably won't happen again (Mass of Creation).

Joys: Father & Bishop decided it was time to update the sound system, as well as possibly get a new main organist (I was asked to be an assistant organist as of Divine Mercy Sunday). The cantors were spot-on, and the Exsultet on Easter Vigil (sung by me) was lauded by the bishop as the best he had ever heard. Most of the music choices were pretty good. Hired a violin and flute for Holy Thursday, and Brass Quartet for Easter Vigil/Day.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • I sang several Masses. The Vigil was nice, as it always is. Our priest is also Vicar General and takes his job seriously, so (perhaps) needless to say, things are well-run in these parts.

The other Masses were packed to the gills with a lot of people who we pray will return before Christmas.

I was braindead by the last mass. I'm a baritone bordering on bass, who fakes being a tenor as needed. By the end I was a toad who was faking being a singer.

Sorrow: Brass players playing games on their phones. I was a paid musician once (before there were cell phones). I get it. Still, there's such a thing as decency.
    Thanked by 2CCooze Carol
  • ghmus7
    Yes, there was a timpanist doing crossword puzzles during the homily.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • CharlesW
    I covered all this under the thread, "Burn-Out," so I wont repeat it. Things turned out better than they should have with my multiple problems.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Sorrows: Husband had a gig for Saturday vigil so we went with him. Lovely church, nice organ, instead their director used guitar and some really awful brass players, and my husband on violin trying not to get snarled up in the brass follies lol. I have no idea what Mass setting they used but it sounded like mariachi music. Maybe it was just the guitars. Either way, awful. My ongoing battle with vertigo also made this weekend interesting, had an attack on the way to Mass Saturday night which lasted through Easter Sunday and most of today. I got called to play a funeral today, as if Holy Week wasn’t long enough. I finally collapsed this afternoon and slept for three hours. My accompanist’s 85 year old mother is also ill with pneumonia and is having serious trouble swallowing. She was with her in the ER for ten hours on Saturday and I just got a text saying they’re back in the ER again. I might be on my own for this week but it’s okay, I don’t have anything especially difficult planned for April and can run rehearsal on my own if I need to.

Joys: My own service for Sunday went perfectly, and it was also my first time directing our little handbell choir! The choir sounded beautiful, everything fell into place even though there are MANY things going on with me, with my accompanist, with many choir members and their families, that could have sent the day in another direction. I’m learning to live with whatever condition I have, and it didn’t totally ruin the weekend for me. My physical strength is often lacking, but this Easter I feel like my faith is strengthening and I am reminded that I don’t have to suffer alone. I continue to pray and to seek answers, and I have a follow up this Friday with my doctor.
  • davido
    - Crux Fidelis was pretty rough. Apologies to God and good King John of Portugal

- Gregorian alleluia for the vigil used for first time in this parish, and went pretty well!
    18 kids showed for the choir in the morning sang like angels!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Carol
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Prayers for you, FidemInFidebus, especially for your physical strength/vertigo ... and also for the mother of your accompanist.
    Thanked by 1FidemInFidebus
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Sorrows:
    -3x Alleluia's Gregorian verse went terribly. I don't know why that happened.
    -our Vigil was a bilingual Mass, but the recessional was only in Spanish. I heard some complaints of feeling left out, that we couldn't have at least moved to the English version with the same tune, or simply have had a Latin hymn, since that is a respectable (and, for basilicas, arguably the correct) compromise. Our church was completely packed, too, so, it's unfortunate if a lot of people felt this way.
    -the offertory did not go as well as expected, either.

Unneeded stresses:
    -I'm having terribly allergies, right now, and was sure that I was going to lose my voice before all was said and done, but I'm in semi-decent voice still
    -I was asked to sing (sightread) the alto part for some of the Triduum, since some were taken ill/unable to attend specific liturgies. I'm a good sight-reader, but still...

Joys:
    -the vast majority of our Triduum and Easter went very well
    -approx 65 people were confirmed on Saturday evening, with over 20 first being baptized
    -He is Risen!! Alleluia! (Boy, were my boys glad to get to hear the word "Alleluia" again, on Sunday!)
  • canadashcanadash
    approx 65 people were confirmed on Saturday evening, with over 20 first being baptized

@ CC: This is outstanding! Wow! I'm sure the saints and angels were singing that threefold Alleluia perfectly in heaven knowing this was coming up!
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen CCooze Carol
  • Sorrow: discovered on Wednesday night that I had made a typo on our calendar last June and told the choir to show up a half hour later than I should have for Holy Thursday call, oops. I think Thursday was our weakest service singing-wise and I’m worried it was because we didn’t have a long enough rehearsal and everything is my fault.

Joys: honestly this was such an amazing Triduum for my church. Everything was so beautiful. And I maintained my “no cracking on the Allegri high notes” streak for another year.

• melofluentmelofluent
    Joy: not responsible for directing music for Triduum first time since 1973.
    Sorrow: priest on Easter Sunday literally directing congregants to take out cellphones at Mass in order to text "Easter Greeting" to someone. "Hit....enter......NOW."
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Oh my goodness... =(
  • ViolaViola
    Sorrows: Bit of a disaster at candlelit Compline; the lighting was so dim that the basses couldn't see their music, so 'O Vos Omnes' was, er...interesting.
    Joys: Good Friday's unaccompanied chant went v well, and many people commented on the prayerfulness. One of the basses (them again!) was so overcome with emotion that he was seen to be in tears at one point.
    Vigil went well, though a heavy downpour meant that the Holy Fire had to be inside the church in a brazier just underneath the choir loft. Fortunately someone had disabled the smoke alarms.
    Capacity congregations at all services, hurrah.
    Thanked by 2StimsonInRehab Carol
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Sorrows: (Well, besides the ones I've already mentioned on this forum recently . . .) I drove two hours back from the Good Friday service to the Holy Saturday Tenebrae service at the local Newman Center.

We were using Hellreigel's 'simplified' version used by Cantius - which, unless I'm mistaken, just re-uses Holy Thursday's Tenebrae booklet with a different cover. Same psalms and everything. So we had to switch everything around to make it work, as well as try to include a bit more Latin in there than SJC does.

I get there to find that one of the students has re-edited everything I've done in the booklet and printed them off into new booklets so small that reading them in a dark church is virtually impossible.

The same student then tells me he doesn't want me chanting any of the lessons, not one, because he wants this "to be a student-led affair". So they proceed to celebrate Tenebrae, not having even an hour to rehearse some very difficult chant (we're talking Mozarabic version of the Lamentations) and with not practice of the rubrics whatsoever.

Here I am, fighting the sickness that would culminate in throwing up throughout Easter evening, and witness to one of the most frustratingly oblivious and heart-wrenchingly awful liturgies I have ever seen (or heard!).

So - ostracized from the group I founded, and now it's up in the air whether or not that group will survive even through next year.

Joys: Outside of Tenebrae, I was able to spend all of Holy Week in pre-'55 Land. And it was MAGNIFICENT.
  • CharlesW
    I hope you at least gave your illness to the arrogant little snot. ;-)
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Chant is infectious, I always say.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • @StimsonInRehab: perhaps it may bring you some strange comfort to know you were not alone in throwing up on Easter! Sorrow: actually throwing up after eating a nice meal I’d made. Joy (?): none of my cheesy potatoes had time to stick to my thighs LOL. I wish my vertigo was infectious, I sure know some folks that are more deserving of this awful affliction.
    Thanked by 2Carol StimsonInRehab
  • PaxTecum
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Carol
    Joys- Choir did well on the Easter Vigil and enjoyed the singing. Sorrow- a missing measure in the Hallelujah Chorus and it was my fault. Momentary lapse of concentration on my part and the train came off the rails, but got back on and finished creditably!

New Cantors for psalms sang well and were proud of the jobs they did. Jesus Christ is Risen Today was truly joyful! Not a bad showing for choir that is entirely volunteer and only 2 can really read music.

Personal favorite moment- the organist singing bass and playing on "Jesus Christ is Risen Today."
  • canadashcanadash
    Sorrow - The only thing that was a surprise and not well thought through was that someone (and I don't know who) decided that we were going to be in the dark until the Gloria. I quite liked it, but singing SATB chanted psalms was difficult for the choir. Luckily people had phones and little candles to light their way, but it would have been much better to have been warned about this change.

Joys - Pretty much everything! My parents came to celebrate with us from another diocese which is desolate when it comes to music and liturgy. My father was absolutely elated. He said he didn't remember such beautiful liturgies since coming from Eastern Europe sixty years ago! What joy!
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • My sorrow was absence from church and presence in hospital due to heart rhythm problems. I went in on Maundy Thursday afternoon and just got out today, Easter Tuesday. It was painful missing out on Holy Week observances for the first time in my life.

I had been engaged to play Maundy Thursday and the Easter Vigil at St Basil's Chapel, UST; and was supposed to have chanted the propers and a lesson at Walsingham's high mass on Easter Day, plus play for the six o'clock evening mass. Ne'erthless, the music and liturgy at Walsingham were reported to me to have been wondrously beautiful.

Missing out on all this was no fun at all. As an Indian holy man once said, 'we are made holy not by what we do but by what happens to us'. However, if I'm any holier it isn't apparent to me! I did, though, have plenty of meditation and prayer time, and mentally recalled and memorised (without benefit of the scores) all the organ repertory that will be on my 29th April recital at Walsingham.

Private joke
    -
    Greg, um, would you say that the music at the second church you attended was 'banal'.
  • CharlesW
    Jackson, be careful with that. Heart rhythm issues are nothing to take lightly. Prayers for a speedy recovery.
  • Mark K
    Sorrows:
    • Unseasonably cold – not one day above freezing (prairie Canada)
    • Too windy & cold for the Vigil bonfire (minus 23 C with wind chill)
    • Our noisy forced air furnace ran a lot (poorly insulated 100 yr old church)

Joys:
    • Our small rural parish had good attendance for the Triduum liturgies - for us that is
    about 60 - it's a tiny church :)
    • We waited until 9PM to start the Vigil
    • We hosted Good Friday Tenebrae (3rd year in a row). I sing with an
    ecumenical choir in our neighboring city, and they traveled out for this. We use Fr
    Weber’s Tenebrae setting with 5 additional choral pieces. We sang from the loft :)
    • For the Triduum the psalms and canticles were from CBW II (nice settings imo)
    • Good congregational singing
    • I had the privilege of singing the Exsultet
    • Triple alleluia went well, with our pastor intoning. He’s in his eighties and has a
    good and powerful voice. I sang the verses
    • Great teamwork from all involved in the liturgies :)
  • Andrew_Malton
    +1 CBW II
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen