Feature request: muting
  • We all have people without whom our Forum experience would be more enjoyable. I may even be one of those for someone. We know which threads they'll weigh in on, and what they'll say. It would be so nice if there were a time out chair that each person could manage for themselves, allowing them to not have to deal with certain members, and to begin again when we're stronger. I've seen such a thing in various forms of social media, and it's worked out well.

Certainly, that's just one more thing for our blessed Admin to admin. And one might argue that one SHOULD deal with difficult people, to offer up our challenging interactions. But if it's technically possible, I think it would be a good move, and certainly worth discussing.
  • Kathy
    Just to discuss,

Wouldn't that tend to make conversations unintelligible, in some cases? People might be responding to someone whom I've muted, and then I wouldn't fully understand what they were saying, because of lost context.
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • Personally, I think it is a mistake to go in that direction for a variety of reasons. Granted, some may posit their views with a less-than-civil expression... but it can still be valuable to "hear" something that provides a different context than we might have imagined on our own, regardless of the tone.

It may give us opportunities to practice greater charity in our own posts, by refraining from the scathing rejoinder we might have made otherwise.

Perhaps even more than that... it feels very much like giving into the modern mentality that we must shield ourselves from everything that is unpleasant...

Finally, don't we possess the power to a degree by ourselves? If Incardo has been rude or is demonstrating incredible stupidity - don't we have the ability to simply ignore his posts without relying on some function that prevents them from showing in our screen? Poster names appear at the top of the comment... so if someone is determined to ignore my posts they can skip to the next with fairly little effort.

Just my 2 cents.
  • CharlesW
    Just my 2 cents.

I like your 2 cents. I saw a cartoon the Christmas after the election with a kid standing outside his house holding a sign that read, "Not my Santa." It seems we are awash in a multitude of eternally butt-hurt people who live to be offended. I think they need to toughen up and get their feelings off their sleeves.

It is pouring rain and the wind is howling as I write this. I am not only offended, but will have to go out in it soon to get to my first mass of the day. I think I will march in front of the church with my sign that reads, "Not my weather."

My 2 cents.
  • Oh, Jeffrey, get over yourse... [MUTE]
  • Carol
    Jeffrey, I am fairly new to the forum and don't believe you have ever offended me with a post. I agree that some comments are expressed in an extremely acerbic manner and surprisingly forcefully at times. Some attempts at humor can fall flat or seem a tad "off." There have been a rare few discussions that are so technical that only a few can chime in because they alone possess the requisite knowledge to comment. One or two discussions of a theological in nature were beyond my "ken." None of this bothers me. Read the posts (or not) and move on. The overall forum is (in no particular order) informative, cathartic, supportive, humorous, and spiritually helpful to me. I try to be helpful in all my comments and enjoy checking in each day.
  • dad29
    Seems to me that Chonak and his Remarks Police have done a good job so far.

I'm a bit more age-advanced than CharlesW, therefore have even less time than he to get points across, so I do a lot less word-salad of niceties before I use the old 2X4.

Only cost me one or two posts in 10+ years....
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Dad29, I am 70 years old. I suspect you are younger.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen igneus
  • dad29
    By 6 months. Close enough.
  • I regularly try to goad people on here. Don't take it personally if I do.

And thanks for the reminders, Chonak.

It seems we are awash in a multitude of eternally butt-hurt people who live to be offended. I think they need to toughen up and get their feelings off their sleeves.

Oh, Charles. We may be separated by our rites, as well as numerous decades, but I can't help feeling that the two of us are cut from the same cloth. Also, I believe the politically-correct term is "rectally devastated"?

Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen Carol
  • chonakchonak
    Oh, I don't do nearly enough to rein in the drama-mongers!
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Carol eft94530
  • eft94530eft94530
    Perhaps Thanks needs company.
    I propose Signal and Noise.
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • Liam
    Perhaps another way to phrase it would be to put an onion dome over someone/something?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81vKnhTbEYL.jpg
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I so miss the Onion Dome.
  • I propose Signal and Noise.

I propose Sound and Fury.
    That would signify something, right?
  • Signal and Noise

Sound and Fury

Hendiadys! Oh my!
    Thanked by 1MarkS
  • CharlesW
    Haugen and Haas signifying nothing.
    Thanked by 2Carol CHGiffen
  • francis
    I propose we should require them to send their messages in morse code instead of sitting in a chair.
  • Haugen and Haas signifying nothing.

Now you've got me thinking about Haagen and Dazs... :)
  • Liam
    you mean D.Hazs.
  • I thought only lefty-snowflakes needed safe spaces?
    Thanked by 2Carol CharlesW
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    You haven't noticed what happens when anyone uses singular 'they'?
  • Liam
    The need for safe spaces is not restricted to one ideological ghetto.
    Thanked by 3Carol CHGiffen CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Coloring books and therapy animals for all.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I thought only lefty-snowflakes needed safe spaces?

Silly me, I thought snowflake was a term describing white right wingers. :-0

Thanked by 3Richard Mix Liam Carol
  • CharlesW
    BH, you need to get out more. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • >> Now you've got me thinking about Haagen and Dazs... :)

probably because it's Lent.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    probably because it's Lent.

Speaking of a similar phenomenon - does anyone else find themselves tempted to hum songs featuring the "A" word more than usual during this season? This is the second year in a row I've noticed this . . .
  • >> does anyone else find themselves tempted to hum songs featuring the "A" word more than usual during this season?

sort of. Sicut Cervus has been in my head on and off for a week now. And before you know it, we will be singing that.... I know I am getting old, when even Lent seems to go quickly!