Progressive Solemnity and the Dominican Liturgy
  • Perhaps some might be interested in this article which has just appeared in Sacred Music.

In this paper, I examine Dominican perspectives on progressive solemnity as expressed by Thomas Aquinas, Humbert of Romans, and Jerome of Moravia. These sources help us to understand the nature of solemnity in itself as well as the pastoral and theological considerations that led the early Dominicans to celebrate the liturgy with brevity on certain occasions and with greater solemnity on others. The Dominican liturgical and theological tradition offers a practical and pastorally sensitive approach to progressive solemnity.

https://www.academia.edu/35530836/_Progressive_Solemnity_and_the_Dominican_Liturgy_Sacred_Music_144_4_2017_42_53

best,

fr Innocent Smith, op
  • God bless you, Father, and all your fellow Dominicans, who have done so much to enrich the liturgy of the Church. May this upcoming New Year provide you more opportunities to do so.
  • May this upcoming New Year provide you more opportunities to do so.

and less need to do so!
  • More solemnity in the liturgy is like Jell-O, Chris: there's always room for it!
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Yes Stimson, there's always more room for it, but I long for the day when there is less need for adding solemnity. Perhaps that means I'm hoping for a 4th Typical edition, or a mass conversion of the bishops or..... something.