Summer breaks

• so as not to derail an earlier thread I thought I would start this one

do you folks schedule a summer break for your main choir?
    for your schola?
    for your organist?

if so, could you say what that looks like,
    and what's your experience, if any, with people deciding not to come back afterwards?
  • A summer recess (if there is one) should not begin until after the last solemnity, namely, Corpus Christi, and should end in time to prepare for Assumption and Transfiguration. The recess could then be 'resumed' until September or so - if this seems needful.
  • :) Good thought! I was already taken to task for wandering far afield from original topic!!

I won't go into the full-blown history of the origin of our groups... but I will say that what was formerly known as a Latin Mass Schola (formed about 10 years ago) and the Latin Mass Choir (formed about 30 years ago) are for all intents and purposes synonymous at this point. There is a slight difference - we have members from other parishes in the schola - but practices and Masses almost always combined. The biggest difference is how I track attendance for schola-only members... but largely we use the terms "choir" and "schola" interchangeably.

This means ALL members are equally responsible for chant and for polyphony... Five books of chant and polyphony for our ultimate repertoire and a supplemental book of hymns. We typically sing mixed chant - perhaps alternating if appropriate - although I also build-in Masses where we do men-only or women-only propers.

For us, the season runs from typically the 2nd week of September through the end of June. Usually we end with the feast of Ss. Peter and Paul, but if that falls on Saturday we would also sing the Sunday Mass the following day. We have an end-of-year meeting and then the choir is largely off through the summer. The exceptions are weddings (voluntary); Assumption (mandatory); and weddings as I mentioned previously.

The organist plays through the summer (getting a substitute as needed when she is out) and I sing the Masses for the 10 weeks or so that the choir / schola is off.

Very interesting that you relate the break with whether or not people come back!! Obviously there is turn-over in every endeavor. I've never had it happen (that I'm aware) because of someone taking the break... There are perhaps some that would prefer to sing through the summer... but they typically recognize my point about having a chance to pray and contemplate, to be with family, to set aside the challenges of singing for a period of time while batteries recharge.

I do a couple of things that I hope alleviate the chance of losing people from the break. One of the biggest is the end-of-year meeting. We go out to a restaurant - somewhere with a private room typically so we can actually meet. We enjoy a nice dinner (provided for the choir). We recognize the efforts that they make - the time they invest, the miles driven, the practices, the liturgies. I think that is important - they need that acknowledgement of what they do. The meal is not compensation - but it is a gesture that expresses an awareness that they make sacrifices through the year.

The major part of our meeting, though, is trying to develop a deeper understanding of WHY we do what we do. Why we make the sacrifices, why we ask the commitment. We talk about the nature of the liturgical choir - that we are not in the choir simply because we like this style of music in particular or because we have good friends in the group... that we have a privilege, an honor of contributing to the greater honor and glory of God through our efforts; that we have a chance to draw souls to Christ through the medium of our music. In that context, what we do is not only a privilege - it carries with it a sense of responsibility and duty. (Not trying to preach to the choir here, just being specific about what we discuss). I jokingly refer to this as a mini-retreat (but only somewhat jokingly).

From that discussion, I ask them to evaluate their participation in the group. Does that still resonate with what they want to do? If yes, I ask them to renew their sense of commitment. Part of that is expressed through attendance - so we talk about our attendance goal (85%) and why that is so important. I also ask them to draw action items for themselves. What will we do differently in the new season? What will we do the same - what will be build upon?

Most of the time I find that I've been blessed with choir members that "get it". People that make the connection between the spiritual nature of what we do and the need to use terms like "commitment" and "duty". So I've never had people leave because of the break per se. There are people who in the course of the season decide that the effort is too much or the "ask" is too strong, but that would happen regardless.
  • Here is our 2018-2019 base schedule so you can see the break.

There is a meaning to my color-coding, but it is mostly for myself.

This doesn't include things that are mostly done by some of the men - Tenebrae and weekly vespers. The solemn vespers are for the choir as a whole.
  • Liam
    Not to answer the question, but to offer context: it can matter if you have a church with climate control or not. Where I live, there are still plenty of churches that have windows sealed to conserve winter heating costs but on the flip side can't be opened to provide air circulation in the summer. Those places tend strongly to have a summer break. And it won't typically end until schools are fully back in session around Labor Day.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • canadashcanadash
    Our choir is off in July and August. Sundays are very precious, especially in the warm weather and Mass at 11:30 cuts into Sunday family time.

Our organist does not take time off except for a few Sundays through the year, where I will cover for him.

There is always a cantor singing for Mass, so there is always music.
  • The two main TLM choirs I've sung with have been year-round, with the implicit understanding that not everyone would be there for the summer. (We usually posted a list after Corpus Christi asking to sign up for Sundays when they would be available and planned music accordingly.) Now that my regular schola is starting to take off we'll probably have the same sort of set-up. Use it or lose it, always been my theory!
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Every Sunday, with a break from Thursday nights after Corpus Christi until the Thursday before Assumption. With June 24 on a Sunday I'm really looking forward to K.72/74f, Inter natos mulierum.
  • One of my criteria for choosing a parish is that the music ministry is year-round. That doesn't mean every group is year round, but the overall team provides that level of service. Why - because scripture doesn't record Jesus taking the summer off, so I don't see any reason for us to do so.

In my current parish, people take breaks when they need them. summer or any other time. This works because on average a team-member is serving approx once a month. That said, mostly breaks are due to health reasons, and so it's not really up to individuals to even choose when they need a one.
  • Carol
    Interesting, parish "shopping", I have been in the same parish since I was ten. I know I am fortunate not to have had to move. I was confirmed, married, had my children Baptized, First Communion, Confirmation. and one son married in this same parish. I fear if I start parish shopping I will always be disasisfied. Pastors come and go, but the congregation here stays the same, unless they die. Some times are better than others. kind of like a marriage. I am in it for the long haul. I don't think it's laziness, I like to think it's faithfulness to the Church Universal. Same with the music at Mass- some times its better, sometimes its worse, but it's still Mass.
  • CharlesW
    We don't "break" for the summer, but take semi-breaks instead. After Pentecost, we go to an every-other-week rehearsal schedule. Someone will always be on vacation during summer, but we work around them and without them, if necessary. In mid-September, we resume weekly rehearsals.

I once tried the summer long break, but found the choir forgetting too much of what they had learned. Also, their skills seemed to diminish. So now, it is every other week. We rehearse two weeks worth of music at each rehearsal and also work on a few other pieces for longer range use.
  • Intended as a philosophical discussion, not a debate.

I know there are some who - for a variety of reasons - insist on having the choir involved year-round. For some it might be the intent to elevate the liturgy throughout the year, for others the concern that taking an extended break might cause the choir to lose focus.

On the other hand, there are likely some who see a value to an opportunity for the choir to take a step back, to avoid being on-call year-round.

In that light, there is more involved than simply "taking a break". For example, through the season, I encourage choir members to take part in the full extent of what we do as Catholics - to receive candles on Candlemas, to receive ashes on Ash Wednesday, to receive palms on Palm Sunday, to adore the cross on Good Friday. It isn't a mandate... it is an option that they are free to exercise. The singing is always covered. If necessary, I'm the sacrificial anode, although there may be others in the loft as well.

A break in the summer is much the same (although here it IS a mandate). It is an opportunity to be with family for Mass, to have a chance to pray more reflectively. It depends on the pastor as to whether we do that in the construct of a low Mass or a sung Mass. If a sung Mass, I and the organist can cover that. There is value we can derive either way independently of whether the Mass is sung or not, even musically as well as spiritually.

Likewise, there can be a value to restructuring rehearsal time to offset the effects of the break. As with so many things, music follows a cycle of development... a period of growth, followed by a plateau, followed by a period of growth, etc.. (Sure, there might be valleys too, but ideally, over time, it is primarily increasing.)

When returning from an extended break, there are ways of adjusting the music schedule so that you can spend more time working fundamentals in the first part of the season. This isn't only valuable in the context of more rapidly regaining ground from a break - it can also be a valuable way of integrating new members, as well as a way of ensuring that there is periodic review of things that are more basic.

The last group I had, there was a definite improvement at the start of each successive season - the drop-off was less and less pronounced. We still used more time in rehearsals for fundamentals - more extended use of sol-fege for example, more review of the Kyriale, use of shorter Propers (which can be used to instruct on forming psalm-tone from the Propers based on the mode and needed termination), etc.. But with less and less drop-off, that allowed ramp-up in other areas - starting more advanced polyphonic Masses, working on more advanced repertoire while implementing things like count-singing and polyphonic sol-fege.

We usually do shorter Propers (typically full Introit, Offertory, Communion, psalm-tone Gradual and Alleluia verse) until either P XXIII or Christ the King (whichever comes first), then mostly full Propers for much of the remainder of the season... by which point we are typically in "standard operating mode" for most of the remainder of the season.

There are other ways to adjust rehearsal times - use of a smaller group (optional participation) or ladies-only / men-only - at various times. This can free time up and allow mini-breaks to the routine of the year.

During the season, I want the focus to be on the choir and the liturgies we sing. During the off-season, I want the focus to be on the members and their families. It provides a balance.

Again, others might achieve that balance in a year-round schedule... not trying to debate what others do or don't do as good or bad... just identifying that there are options that can be used with a summer break to alleviate the legitimate concerns that some might have.
  • Carol
    This is a very instructional comment for me, as there is a lot of food for thought here. We break for the summer. We are a choir of 15 to 18 rank amateurs (parts need to be pounded out repeatedly). Each Fall when we put the choir announcement in the bulletin, we find a few new members come to try the choir and we rarely lose those who join out of curiosity. We have moved from a choir exclusively for Christmas, the Triduum, and conferring of Confirmation to singing one Sunday a month as well. Most of you would shudder at our repertoire, but we are making slow progress. We have sung the Ave Verum Corpus on Holy Thursday quite successfully. I did not get my Christmas wish of a real tenor yet, but I am still hoping.
  • St. Sebastian Schola: no break. In fact, we welcome those whose choirs are on summer break; we need all the help we can get.
  • It's good to distinguish, as well, between there being a break for the choir, and there being a break from music completely at mass. I know more than my share of TLM parishes which switch exclusively to Low Masses, even for Sundays, after Corpus Christi (or even Pentecost!) Which, if you'll beg my pardon, seems lazy. All you would need for a sung mass is a cantor, maybe an organist - perhaps one in the same. And if you think the propers are too hard, it isn't like you can't use the Rossini or some other simplified edition. And it's always a great learning moment to encourage congregational singing to fill in the gap!! But to a lot of these parishes it's like the idea of a single cantor/organist is anathema - perhaps a prejudice carried over from past experiences with Novus Cantoring?
  • In my most recent position, from which I retired after Christmas, the choir sings from the Sunday after Labor Day through Pentecost, with rehearsals beginning two weeks before the first Sunday.

When there were more organists on staff, we would take turns playing every other weekend (all 3 Sunday masses) so that we would have every other weekend off. It was a major improvement to quality of life.

Marc
  • We sing through Assumption and then come back the week after Labor Day.
  • CharlesW
    We sing every Sunday, just rehearse every other week during summer. We never take a break from mass.