Children’s Choir Debut!
  • I Just have to crow a bit among some folks who will understand. This morning, our small (eight strong) but mighty Children’s Choir has its debut! This is my third year in this position and it’s been a long-term goal of mine to do this as soon as I had the bandwidth and support. I was also further encouraged to do it this year when the middle school began a youth program using the Life Teen model. We don’t currently have support for a Life Teen Mass from our pastor (thank goodness!), but I suspected that we’d start getting some pressure to “get the youth involved in Mass,” and it would be better to proactively have something in place.

We prepared Above the Clear Blue Sky and Lindley’s Ave Maria, and although we worked a bit
    on Mawby’s Ps. 23 it was a bit too much of a challenge to work up in the time we had - we’ll come back to it. We also used the Full Voice series to explore some note reading and solfege, which I hope to build on. I worked with a few of the kids and had one lead the psalm, one (my daughter - nepotism FTW!) cantor the gospel acclamation, and a duo lead the sung response to the prayers of the faithful and they did splendidly. The kids all wore some red robes that had been stored in the sacristy for years (and I SWEAR they sang and behaved better wearing them - such a proud little group!) and I also recruited a high school singer in the parish to help sing with them and keep them on track.

The parents were so supportive and grateful, and the kids and I all got so much positive feedback fromthe parish after Mass. it was such a gratifying experience!

So, now we prepare for Christmas Eve. I’d like be to hear a bit about what has worked in your own parishes for youth choirs!

• Congratulations.

We have a children's choir (ages 7-12) that was set up by a traditionally-minded curate (who has since moved on to greener pastures). Because there are a group of committed adults, we have been able to keep it going. What we've learned:

You need committed adults. Even if you're parish staff and have some dedicated hours, you still need other adults with you for child-safety reasons. Your team of adults is the most important group to keep this initiative viable.

Keep it seasonal, and explain your choices simply. (eg We're singing "Hail Redeemer" because it's the feast of Christ the King.) So even if they hate the selection, they understand there's a reason for it which is bigger than either you or them.

Much like adults, some children love chant, Latin and traditional hymns. Some hate them. If you're large enough to offer different initiatives for each group, great. If not, then you need to use a wider range of material to keep people on board. If so, be aware of what the children are listening to on the radio / Youtube / etc at home. Those who have developed a love of Jesus through CCM will find it difficult to hear his voice in plainchant - and vice-versa.
  • a love of Jesus through CCM

Pardon my ignorance - what's CCM?

I ask because I grew up in a town where people could honestly claim developing a love of Jesus through CCR. Some folks were born, I guess . . .
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • chonakchonak
    "CCM" is the music industry term ("contemporary Christian music") for Christian pop music.
  • Great advice, PaxMelodius, thank you for sharing your experience.

I now have 13 kids signed up for the next round, so I’m grateful that the word is spreading!
  • Those who have developed a love of Jesus through CCM will find it difficult to hear his voice in plainchant - and vice-versa.

Difficult, but possible - just as there are some really poorly composed 'traditional' pieces there are some really well composed CCM songs (believe it or not). It's usually an issue of time and place IMO.
  • CharlesW
    "CCM" is the music industry term ("contemporary Christian music") for Christian pop music.

Thanks, I wondered what that was. See what I miss by not associating with guitar thumpers?