Cantoring - what it typically is and how this could be bettered.
  • Carol raises a very good issue...

I am enjoying the discussions, but wonder if there is another forum that may have less focus on Gregorian chant and be about liturgical music more generally. I get the feeling most of the posters here might not think what I do as song leader and cantor at Mass is sub-par.

Carol assumes that based upon what she has read here that cantoring and song leading are not something that we are concerned about, and I can see why unless someone goes back about 8 or 9 years in the archive.

How have you, in your parish made improvements (at least in your own mind) of the cantoring practice situation in your parish. What has worked and what has failed miserably?

Cantors have always had an exalted position in the church until the 1960's...how can they become effective as they once were.

[personally, I feel that requiring the cantor to raise their arms or lift a book to "bring people in" essentially insults the abilities of the people. They have their heads buried in the book already and can read and see when they are to come in (join in the singing) and even if not, the others around them singing tell them when they are to come in.]
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • There is absolutely NO need for a cantor when there is a choir. Within a choir, if needed, a singer well trained, can perform any cantellations or intonements. The modern creation of a glorified ego centric soloist waving their arms like the "LOST IN SPACE" robot, is ridiculous.

If there is no choir or schola, then perhaps a very well trained vocalist in proper chant techniques, could be appropriate for singing propers, chants and the psalms. Hymns are the domain of the congregation and not a heavily amped microphoned cleric or soloist. It drives me crazy in the extreme to hear anyone standing infront of a congregation, gesticulating and singing with an operatic and or pop vibrato style! Such a person generally takes my attention away from focusing on the sacrificial and solemn nature of the liturgy.

Anglican churches and cathedrals have been singing successfully and robustly for centuries with no arm waving scarecrows, scarring away from singing, congregational crows!
  • ronkrisman
    Ken, I love choirs. But I love congregational singing even more. The Episcopal Church in the USA has 2.5 million members; the Catholic Church has 76 million. The typical Episcopal Church has one service on Sunday morning; many Catholic churches have 5 or more Masses on the weekends. It is fantasy to believe that there will be a choir at every Mass, much less a good choir.

So a cantor/psalmist is necessary, if for no other reason, for the singing of the verses of the responsorial psalm, the gospel acclamation, and, ideally, a psalm at communion.

I too frown upon arm-raising or arm-waving cantors. And I see no reason for a song leader for hymns and, more important, having that leader singing into a microphone. Parce, Domine.

And, while I'm on a roll, I think a solo voice singing propers is mere legalism and, as such, anathema. If there is not a least a small schola cantorum, forget propers.
  • CharlesW
    My predecessor used to do the equivalent of "dramatic readings" with hymns. She would vary the tempo, articulation, and draw cadences out for effect. I stopped that in a hurry. Hymns are for the congregation to sing, they are not opportunities to perform.

As for cantors, I use them for non-choir masses. They are in the loft with me and stand beside the organ. They don't have an audience watching them, so the temptation to perform is eliminated. Only one of them uses a microphone because his voice wouldn't carry without it. The others don't need amplification.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    By way of my own experience, vis-a-vis Episcopal churches, the five that I am familiar with have from 2 to 4 services each Sunday. These are not exceptionally large churches, either. Almost invariably there is at least one each of Rite I and Rite II services, and usually only one service has a traditional choir, while other services may have a praise group or other music.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I think a solo voice singing propers is mere legalism and, as such, anathema

I very much understand the sentiment here. However, in certain situations it's not about legalism, it's about stratagem, particularly in a "stuffed Mass" scenario.
    Examples:
    If the Introit has to be relegated to being a de facto "Call to Worship" prior to an entrance hymn/song, a solo rendition isn't an encumbrance to corporate participation.
    After the non dignus sum, again in certain situations choristers/musicians can/need to immediately receive Holy Communion, a soloist rendering the Communio accounts for that measure of time until the choir is in tact and can fully participate in a Communion hymn/song (or enjoin the Communio.)

All politics are local.
  • ronkrisman
    All politics are local.

Indeed. But note that in your scenario for the communio, you have a choir present. So why not have a few of those choir members join that soloist to become a small schola for the chanting of the communio?

My comment about soloists singing propers presupposed that no choir is present. For me, the performance practice is not right. (Then again, singing Gregorian chants in acoustically dead churches also goes against traditional performance practice.)
  • I think a solo voice singing propers is mere legalism would (in the absence of choir or schola) fulfill GIRM and Vatican II to a 'T' and, as such, is is not anathema.

I very much agree with Ken of Sarum. Granted the numbers of people and of masses are greatly different in the Episcopal and Catholic Churches. More influential than that, though, are the vast cultural differences which breed very different liturgical and ritual aestheses. Indeed, if both used the Novus Ordo, or if both used Rite One, the resulting worship aesthetic would remain almost comically different from the one community to the other.

I used the word 'breed' up above. This is not meant as a pejorative. It is very real. The Catholic clerical orders consciously breed a low church, relatively informal, more or less 'folksy' ritual aesthesis in which the people can hardly so much as say 'and with your spirit' without a pirouettist waving her arms for them to do so - and even then the result will be hardly audible. The Catholic clerical order has purposefully bred, and breeds, a ritual of pirouettists because of their cultivated contempt for the people's intelligence and capabilities - and their absolute care-lessness for ritual integrity. So, rather than cultivate congregations who eagerly fulfill their roles without needing to be treated like imbeciles, we breed a culture in which they are not expected to and in which participation is traded for antics from various male and female 'ministries' who have the preposterous egocentricity to think that people will not do their part unless they perform their antics. No one seems to notice that any participation that results from these antics is feeble indeed!

As for what a cantor is and does, we have had numerous discussions about this subject in the past. A cantor is NOT a leader of singing, he or she is NOT a 'song leader'. He or she is skilled in chant literature (in Latin AND in English), which he or she delivers authoritatively at mass. A cantor does NOT wave his and her arms around in the air and perform grotesque pirouettes. He or she leads chant, responsorial psalmody, antiphons, and such by introducing them and setting the pulse by the strength of his or her NON-AMPLIFIED voice. A cantor DOES NOT in any manner (except through his voice) draw attention to herself or himself. A cantor is not an announer of page, song, sit, stand, 'please join', and so forth. The people are not stupid - they know these things. They know these things, and should be told (once only by the priest) to do them enthusiastically without being 'invited' and cajoled with the antics of ritually pointless persons.

Ken, et al., are correct: where there is a choir or schola there is no need for a cantor, except to sing the incipits of any chant.

One may protest all day long about the differences between multiple masses, different choral arrangements, and so forth. These play their relatively minor roles. The primary, and, by far, the greatest difference remains to be that Catholics are purposefully and nastily bred, culturally conditioned, to put up with what passes for music, liturgy, and 'participation' in the vast majority of their churches.
    Thanked by 2CCooze JonathanLC
  • Fr. Krisman,

I must disagree that the presence of a single singer represents mere legalism. In the parish I have recently begun helping, I started singing the Propers alone, but another gentleman has joined me, and others will, God willing, arise as well. From such a small beginning as a mustard seed, a great tree can be brought forth.
  • MJO - I agree 100 present! For anyone interested, I am 60 years old and a former professional violist of major status, have been a professor, a composer and the part and full time music director / choirmaster and organist of several Catholic and Episcopal churches and cathedrals from small to extremely large music programs with mixed choirs, male and female scholas, men and boys choirs and literally huge choral programs with hundred of children K - 12 and trained dozens of cantors. I have been responsible for ALL kinds of liturgies from historical rites to contemporary. I am not a novice and have seen and experienced it ALL.

I honestly and sincerely say that I have seen more ills than good when it comes to the subject of cantors. Many of my more famous teachers, old church music friends of great renown here in America and in Europe ALL agreed that the position of a cantor in Catholic churches can be a mine field. Catholic churches can learn a great deal from Anglican and Anglican Use situations. A service program or leaflet can help greatly. There is no need for things to be announced as some cantors do. A cantor standing close to the organist makes a lot of ensemble sense. Grand-standing by anyone in a liturgy is contrary to the Christian servanthood ethos "do good and disappear."

Everything one does, should be done in humility so as to bring ALL attention and focus upon Our Lord and Savior - Christ Jesus. The greater you would be as a musician and artist in the church, serving your GOD given gifts, the more you will seem to disappear within the fabric of the liturgy. The greatest compliment that was given to me once as a principal violist was that I never brought attention to myself yet I made it look so easy.

ps - study St Mary's Catholic Cathedral in Sydney Australia.
  • An exemplary testimony, Ken.
    Among the greatest of compliments I have received in fulfilling my vocation has been those times from priests, and a bishop here and there, who went out of their way to say to me after mass 'you are Anglican, aren't you!' - always said with a smile on their face and respect in their eyes. When one's training was under an Anglican cathedral choirmaster and fine, oh so very fine professors at university; when one has spent decades serving fine music to our heavenly Father in service to Anglo-Catholic, Oxford Movement parishes, American equivalents of a European Lutheran Domkirche, directing professional, semi-professional, and volunteer choirs in the finest sacred music ever written, nurturing what has become the Cathedral of our Lady of Walsingham, and having ordinary people appreciate it and be thankful for it, it is mind-numbing to even attempt to comprehend Catholic utter indifference to what serious liturgy is and can be.
    Cathedrals should be eagerly copied beacons of exquisite liturgy and music.
    Ditto university chapels.
    Ditto monasteries.
    Ditto seminaries.
    We have fallen far, far behind and have so very, very far to go - but it's not too late.
    It isn't that the real Vatican II has been 'tried and found wanting' - it is 'that it hasn't been tried'.

• I have never once sung anywhere that didn't a) have a VERY hot microphone on the lectern or b) tell me to bring the congregation in with super conspicuous arm gestures. I don't think of canting as a performance, but it's hard for it to not seem like a performance when I'm by far the loudest thing in the room. It's hard to know that those things are incorrect but have to do them anyway because "that's how it's done."
    Thanked by 2canadash JonathanLC
  • Why continue to focus on the worst circumstances rather than coming up with solutions, youtube videos that show what could and should be done.

These failings are not due to the cantor but to inadequate teaching and extremely poor role models.

For the same reason, organists in the church are less, in most situations, than they could be.

In sports terms, they can't focus on the basics if the basics are held close to the chest and never shared.

Hearing and seeing the role of the successful cantor in the monastery is the first step.

https://barrouxchant.com

Ignore the fact that they are singing Latin, cantors, just watch and listen for the experience of hearing singing led by one cantor.

Having been there twice, it is enlightening, to say the least. Having sung with Benedictine monks in the 1950's, it is wonderful hearing the tradition continued in this, a new monastery.
    Thanked by 2JonathanLC marymezzo
  • MJO, surely you have videos that could be posted?
  • canadashcanadash
    Everything one does, should be done in humility so as to bring ALL attention and focus upon Our Lord and Savior - Christ Jesus. The greater you would be as a musician and artist in the church, serving your GOD given gifts, the more you will seem to disappear within the fabric of the liturgy.

Amen!
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • the more you will seem to disappear within the fabric of the liturgy.

Excellent! The organ and choirs led singing while hidden in parish churches for centuries - singing hidden behind the altar or more frequently in lofts to the side or in the back of the church.

THE NUMBER BOARD lists the page numbers, silently and unobtrusively.
    Thanked by 2CCooze JonathanLC
  • tsoapm
    THE NUMBER BOARD lists the page numbers, silently and unobtrusively.
    Am I to infer that, as in Italy, someone reads the page numbers out loud in some churches?

I recently joined a new choir in a church that has a projector built into the floor somewhere. At the 11 a.m. mass, they evidently have someone willing to sit somewhere and do the virtual page turns, but our choir doesn’t.

I suggested using a small part of the projected screen as a makeshift number board, for silence and less obtrusiveness. It has its pros and cons as an approach, I suppose, but I think it’s an improvement.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Of course, a new study could shed light on why music in many churches is thought to be just fine, if not excellent.

Dunning Kruger Effect

The Peter Principle!
  • THE NUMBER BOARD lists the page numbers, silently and unobtrusively.

There is a very, very good reason to announce hymns: not everyone can see/read the number board, especially a number of the older folk. I have played at parishes where they didn't announce hymns, and that was a common complaint. They could read out of a hymnal fine, but they couldn't make out that board well enough, no matter where they were sitting. Announcing the hymns is also helpful when you're only doing selected verses or someone (such as, uh, me) made a mistake on the number board. (I double-check, but it still happens.)
    Thanked by 1tsoapm
  • tsoapm
    Well that makes sense; speaking personally, I often struggle as a congregant (and stranger in a strange land) to hear the number correctly and find the right page in the hymnal quickly enough for it to be of much use to me. I expect the approach of projecting everything right up at the front may not agree with everyone, but I find it very useful myself.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • There is a very good reason...

The solution is Service Folders, Mass Leaflets, etc., that list all the hymns, responsories, the anthems with translations when appropriate, and so on.

With Service Folders the need for announcing stuff vanishes.

At Walsingham (and anywhere else that is smart enough to provide Service Folders) there are zero announcements, zero welcome to St So and So's, and zero non-ritual speech during mass, zero cantors, and zero anything except the ritual text before, during, and after mass. It is heavenly! Our people sing robustly, stand and sit and kneel without being told, and would be aghast at the thought of being 'invited' or asked to 'join in' anything - they know when and act on what they know without someone telling them, thank you!

It is liturgy as it is supposed to be - the fulfillment of Vatican II.
  • tsoapm
    The solution is Service Folders
    The idea of a Service Folder is new to me. It makes me think of continuous effort and expense, which would be a hard sell round my way, though it sounds sensible in itself.
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • It is liturgy as it is supposed to be - the fulfillment of Vatican II.

The statement seems rather oxymoronic. Do the precepts of V II truly reflect "Liturgy as it is supposed to be"? Pray forgive me if I think not.
  • The solution is Service Folders, Mass Leaflets, etc., that list all the hymns, responsories, the anthems with translations when appropriate, and so on.

Moving from a liturgy that people observed and a few participating using expensive missals to one in which people are expected to fully participate in requires a service bulletin.

Another simple and elegant solution that, being Anglican/Protestant developed with a keen perception of the need, was totally ignored by the VAT II people.

The weekly cost would easily have been paid from the tithes of those that left because they were expected to bet on the ponies without a racing sheet.
  • Did Fr. Krisman suggest that the Proper of the Mass, which is considered part of it, is optional and can be omitted simply because a schola is not present to sing it?
  • a_f_hawkins
    Now the discussion has got going there is plenty of it! I want to comment using what Ken of Sarum said, only 18 hours ago, in the second post of this thread, as my starting point.
    1/ Cantors are not new-fangled, St Jerome comments adversely on cantors who paint their throats (presumably with throat medicaments) and fancy themselves to be opera singers. The problem has been with us a very long time. [comment on Eph 5:19]
    2/ GIRM says:
    104. It is fitting that there be a cantor or a choir director to direct and support the people’s singing. Indeed, when there is no choir, it is up to the cantor to direct the different chants, with the people taking the part proper to them.
    So that means that if the choir director is in a loft at the back of the church waving arms at the choir, there is still a role for someone to wave their arms at the congregation! (I do not neccessarily agree) NB not at the lectern.
    3/ There is the role of 'psalmist or cantor of the psalm'. (assigned to the lectern).
    4/ There is the Exsultet, at the lectern.
    But on the other hand a cantor with the appropriate charisma can signal to a congregation merely by voice and posture (though perhaps not in the larger churches). Alas this charism seems not to be conferred on all good singers. And in recent posts at Pray Tell under the title Do it Rite Fr Ruff has spoken of the art of leading congregations with the organ.

• To get back on topic - cantoring today:

1. The organist introduces the hymn by playing it through once and, after the final chord, lifts hands for a beat and then begins to play.

2. An effective cantor or small choir of three or more, sings the first line which the congregation hears and sings along with, and then backs up from the microphone, if used, and blends their voice/voices with the congregation.

In the absence of an organist, the cantor follows the same procedure. setting the pitch and tempo when singing the first line.

3. If verses are sung by the cantor/small choir, they are sung plainly without vocal emphasis or dynamics, aside from starting lines softly, and then ending softly.

4. If, unfortunately, the cantor/small choir is visible, care is taken to not move to avoid distraction from the Mass. The cantor/small choir and lectors, if any, should sit close to the place they will sing so that walking to the place does not distract and does not become a ceremonial procession.

5. If singers are not available with the training and ability to do their role without distraction (both movement and vocal ability), cantors should be hired much as organists and music directors are today.

6. When accompanied by piano, the same process applies as described for the organ.

• Whatever happened to the priest chanting his parts?
  • Whatever happened to the priest chanting his parts?

Preferred but not legislated. But not a cantoring matter, right?
  • Related. Some of what we are discussing can be chanted by the priest, such as the Kyrie Eleison, the incipit to the Gloria in Excelsis, and the incipit for the Credo. The question this begs is whether or not those parts are being executed in the manner suggested by the previous sentence.

To the subject: I do not think they should be called cantors because it is a corruption of the original use of the term and does not describe the position as it previously existed. They should be called Song Leaders because that is a more accurate description of what their function is and does not misuse the original term. I think that too many people just sit and listen, whether it is when a choir, schola, or song leader is singing. This of course begs the question of whether or not congregational singing is the goal of having music for the Mass in the first place. I do not believe that music was used in the Mass solely so that the congregation could sing it. I think that the notion that congregational singing should be fostered above liturgical and artistic concerns is misguided. I believe it has its roots in Renaissance humanism and 20th century modernism.
  • matthewjmatthewj

Whatever happened to the priest chanting his parts?

Move to Phoenix.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    If there is not a least a small schola cantorum, forget propers.

I disagree. Even if you can't sing anything extra (like hymns), sing the propers. They actually belong to that specific Mass, no matter which, unlike hymns.

As for hymns, one can follow the organ just fine, providing that the organist is kind enough to make it possible to hear the melody, and not just overbearing pedal-play.

..there are zero announcements, zero welcome to St So and So's, and zero non-ritual speech during mass, zero cantors, and zero anything except the ritual text before, during, and after mass.

Trying... so hard! Announcements are always the same, anyway, and then what is the bulletin even for?!

cantors....waiving

Honestly. It's frustrating. For about a year or so, we started having cantors at the lectern. Besides the fact that waiving/raising one's arm in such a fashion is tacky, I figured that if they couldn't tell that I had fully stopped singing the verse, and that the responsorial was returning, then "bringing them in" wouldn't be much help, anyway.
    This is like choir members who insist on reading the chanted (by someone else) verses between repeats of polyphony or somesuch. Even if you waive your arms madly at them, they aren't going to be ready by the time they are supposed to enter, anyway!

(Our cantors are now in the choir loft, where they belong.)
  • Some of what we are discussing can be chanted by the priest, such as the Kyrie Eleison, the incipit to the Gloria in Excelsis, and the incipit for the Credo. The question this begs is whether or not those parts are being executed in the manner suggested by the previous sentence.

These are clearly not for the cantor...agreed. Publishers have published music that indicates otherwise and they should have been called to answer for this.
  • ronkrisman
    Did Fr. Krisman suggest that the Proper of the Mass, which is considered part of it, is optional and can be omitted simply because a schola is not present to sing it?

It's not my suggestion. Check the GIRM.
  • If you are referring to the so-called "4 options," I must then ask if they really are options, or if they are actually the Church's clear preference, in order. If you consider what SC has to say about the place of Gregorian chant in the liturgy and then consider that the GIRM lists the Gregorian option first, it is reasonable to conclude that the so-called "4 options" are in fact the ordered preferences of the Church, in compliance with what SC states.

If not, then please clarify where in the GIRM it states that the Proper of the Mass is optional. I understand that the spoken Propers in the missal are not said, "...if there is singing..." but that does not preclude the sung Propers.
  • a_f_hawkins
    If there is not a least a small schola cantorum, forget propers.
    GIRM's first suggestion if the forces are not adequate for the GR propers is GS, which are perfectly Proper, and By Flowing Waters gives these in English. . All you need is a cantor, to my mind that is what a cantor is for. It is also what GS is for, as explicitly requested by VII in SC.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • ronkrisman
    A cantor + the congregation.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    for the communio, you have a choir present.
    For whom care it to be taken that they receive with ease, if one is walking a line between legalism and illegalism.
    Thanked by 2Liam melofluent
  • tsoapm
    There is a very, very good reason to announce hymns: not everyone can see/read the number board, especially a number of the older folk. I have played at parishes where they didn't announce hymns, and that was a common complaint. They could read out of a hymnal fine, but they couldn't make out that board well enough, no matter where they were sitting.
    Thinking about it, I would like to make a further comment on this: I don’t believe I ever heard anyone announce hymns until I came to Italy, and only in contexts where congregational singing was not working very well.

Conversely, in the many Anglican and various other churches I attended before I converted, where singing was normal and not the exception, everyone seemed to manage without having the hymns announced.
  • I'm required in one of my current cantoring positions to announce the hymns, one by one. I've scaled this back considerably from my predecessors (none of this, "Good morning! How are you? etc." drivel). I just say the hymn numbers. But there are days I'm tempted to say, "The hymn number is listed on the hymn board in plain view of everyone. If you can't see it, ask someone next to you who can. Mirabile dictu."
  • CharlesW
    I played temporarily and as a favor at a local parish, if you call 35 miles away local, where the cantor/crooner/mistress of ceremonies/wobbling-voiced soprano always gave introductions. It went something along the lines, welcome to holy family church, spa, resort, and deli. Now let us greet our celebrant by singing number 403, Let All Things Now Living. One could take from that the dead were no longer singing since they were the only ones not invited to join in greeting Fr. Gadfly, who might have sobered up long enough to say mass. Criminy!

At my work parish - been there 17 years - I put 4-inch-high numbers on the hymn board. If I can read them from half a block away in the loft, anyone else can read them from the pews.
  • Now let us greet....

Now, isn't this the height and depth of infamy!
    We are no longer entering the courts of the Lord and singing to him, extolling his universal sway, deeply thanking him for his love, but we are 'greeting' the celebrant. I've run into this cretinesque idiocy several times and always want to run screaming down the street yelling, 'no! No! You've got it all wrong' --- but something tells me they wouldn't 'get it' and would wonder what could possibly be wrong.
    Catholics really don't think.
    They are bred and conditioned not to.
  • CharlesW
    They are bred and conditioned not to.

Well. you know what curmudgeons we Byzantines are. LOL.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • a_f_hawkins
    That's our Tradition - Pray up, Pay up, and Shut up.
    Lead to: Now let us greet our celebrant with the opening hymn "Behold our Glorious Queen"
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Jackson,

You need to add the word "American" to your comment, "Catholics... are bred and conditioned.... not to think"
  • a_f_hawkins
    Irish Tradition as well, though by no means universal, there was a also strong streak of lay scepticism about the clergy, certainly among men.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • The saddest part, Hawkins, is that one of the glories of our Catholic tradition is its intellectual rigor.
  • KyleM18
    Here's a report on the average parish cantor (and cathedral cantor, come to it.)

We are required to say the following script (or our pay is docked).

"Good morning, and welcome to St. (So-and-So)'s Catholic Church, as we celebrate the (#) Sunday in (Season). Out of respect for worship, we ask that you silence all cell phones and other electronic devices at this time. (___) Thank you. Our celebrant for today's Mass is Fr. (_). Announcements. (Say all announcements that the priest will repeat before the blessing and dismissal). Please see the Parish Bulletin for other announcements of events in the coming weeks. Thank you. All hymns and mass parts can be found in the (Color) Hymnal. At this time, please stand and join in singing our Entrance Hymn, found in your (Color) book, Number (###), (Song Title), Number (###) in your (Color) book. Please stand."

Now isn't that a pain to say! Generally, I skip all the announcements, say the Missal Proper, and announce the hymn as "Please stand and sing number (###), (Hymn Title)." Of course, I get my pay docked and an earful from the rector.

Also, I'm supposed to sing in full operatic style, which I HATE doing. I'm also supposed to be singing as if everything was a story. (I can see natural swelling, but what they have us do is horrendous!)

Oh, and what's worse? During the homily, I get to interact with the celebrant, as he asks me questions and makes jokes about me, or makes me go to the lectern and sing something with him, etc.

I am supposed to lead the clapping and snapping (HELP ME), as well as do the wavy-arm thing like its done in some videos from ND de Paris; as in, CONDUCTING THE CONGREGATION!!!!! Well, more like waving my arms to the beat, but still.

So, there's the "WHAT IT TYPICALLY IS" part. How it could be bettered? Let me sing the intonings without a mic. (Which, suprisingly, is what I do in the parish I sing at. It's the cathedral and another parish that do most of the above). Let me sing the propers, even to a psalm tone, in english, with the organ then intoning the hymn, WITHOUT ANNOUNCEMENTS. Oh, and please let me print service leaflets. PLEASE.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CCooze
  • CharlesW
    Here's a report on the average parish cantor (and cathedral cantor, come to it.)

I have said we used to have the Last Gospel, but now we have the last announcement. Fortunately, I don't have to do any of those nonsense announcements. I am not sure whether our pastor is opposed to them, or realizing my Byzantine crustiness is afraid I might tell the congregation where to go. But we think the people are bright enough to figure out the hymn board, which they can easily see.

KyleM18, your priest is a jerk. You should consider poisoning him and hiding his body where no announcements can ever be heard.
  • This is what happens when music is used as a tool to suit an agenda or create an atmosphere instead of either for its own sake (performed well because it should be performed well), or even better for the sake of worshipping the Lord.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW