Walsingham and Salieri -
  • Solemn Evensong at Walsingham this evening featured the preces & responses and the suffrages of our Forum Member Henry Gaida, otherwise known to us as 'Salieri'.

The Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham

Second Evensong of the Eighteenth Sunday after Trinity
    In Honour of the Hundredth Anniversary of the Apparition of Our Lady of Fatima

Organ Voluntary - Magnificat Noni Toni ( SSWV148) - - - Samuel Scheidt

Introit - 'Eternal Light' - - - Leo Sowerby

The Preces and Responses - - - Henry Gaida
    The Office Hymn - 'O Blest Creator of the Light' - - - Lucis Creator
    Psalm XXXVI - Benedicam Dominum - - - Chant, Francis Jackson

Magnificat - Evening Service in D-Minor - - - Thomas Attwood Walmisley
    Nunc Dimittis - Evening Service in D-Minor - - - Thomas Attwood Walmisley

The Suffrages - - - Henry Gaida

The Anthem - Ave Maria - - - Alonso Lobo

The Marian Anthem - Salve Regina - - - Diogo Dias Melgas

Hymn - 'Hail, Queen of Heaven' - - - Stella

Organ Voluntary - Praeludium, in C-Major (BWV 547) - - - J.S. Bach

Thanked by 3CHGiffen Salieri Heath
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Are we sure this forum member wants his identity revealed?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Are we sure this forum member wants his identity revealed?

Look at the composer name on any of the many scores of his works that he has posted here.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • He posted these very preces & responses and suffrages here for discussion quite some months ago. I recall being impressed with them and suggested he send them to our choirmaster. It was really nice hearing them at evensong today. They fit very well. I also recall that Chuck and several others had favourable comments, and that we all had suggestions for some voice-leading that Salieri was concerned about.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    I remember that Salieri has signed some of his posts here... A quick search would find them.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thanks for your concern, MJM, but I don't mind at all -- especially considering that, as Chuck notes, I have routinely put my name on my scores. (Of course, that's assuming that that isn't a nom de plume {villainous laughter}.) I also, if I remember so to do, put my forum name on my Colloquium name tag. (Just don't send me any e-mail chain letters or pharmaceutical adverts.)

At any rate, thank you, Jackson, for the mention: I hope that all went well last night at Evensong. It was enjoyable to write these responses, and I am glad they have been found useful.

S. (aka, Henry Gaida.)
  • SalieriSalieri
    Incidentally, Jackson, which Psalter do you use at Walsingham?
  • Coverdale.
    The psalter of the Ordinariate.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Yes, but "The Cathedral Psalter", "The Parish Psalter", ... ?
  • Oh, you mean which chant-pointed psalter?
    I'm sure that Edmund uses a variety of sources.
    I would consider John Scott's The Anglican Psalter (nee The St Paul's Psalter) to be definitive for modern use.

In addition to Scott's, I lean heavily on The New Cathedral Psalter Chants and The Anglican Chant Book, both pub. by Novello. These later two are chants only.

I'll ask Edmund about his sources when I see him Sunday and get back to you. He does use some rather esoteric-but-nice ones from time to time, mostly for evensong when the choir sing the psalter alone.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen