Contraction Help
  • I'm transcribing a hymn for All Saints - what's the accepted way in hymnody to contract the word "conquerors"?
  • I’ve seen it as “conqu’rors”.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • CCoozeCCooze
    (I read this title and (as a mother of 3) immediately thought, push through the pain!)

• DBP is right -

'Conqu'rors' it is.

As in 'See the Conqu'ror Mounts in Triumph', at no 103 in the 1940 -

the same hymn is at no. 145 in The English Hymnal, but without any contraction.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Mrs. Cooze, I was 'untimely ripp'd' so I'll take your word for it! But now I've conceived (no pun intended) of there one day being a sequel to Breaking Bread called Breaking Water . . .
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Stimson,

If the contractions are coming fairly close together, then it's time to start the controlled breathing and getting ready to push!
  • I’m impressed with the gents obstetric knowledge on this forum. Mother of three myself, two born at home with no pain meds. I bit my husband once and terrified my midwife’s apprentice so badly she discontinued her studies. The bite was unintentional. I told him to put pressure on my lower back with a tennis ball, and it was working. But then transition hit and I went into cave woman mode and bit him lolol.

Now I’m sitting here trying to figure out how to sing or say “conqu’rors” and wondering if I’m doing it right...never seen that word contracted before.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Same here, Fidem. (The thought, not the bite )

Conk-roars/rawrs..
    Conk-wars..

(I know the "k" needs to go with the next sound, but putting it there would make my pronunciations less humorous.)