New Organ St. Ann's Kosciusko, TX
  • ghmus7
    Here is a webpage on a new organ built by Ross king and Associates in rural TX.

http://stannskos.com/historyorgan.html

If one looks at the cost of the organ - quite modest for a small parish of this size, can we finally lay to rest the lie promulgated by digital companies that pipe organs are not affordable?!
    The organ fills the church fully with beautiful rich sound.
    No negative comments please!
  • CharlesW
    That's not a bad price. I have seen digital organs that cost nearly that much, and they always have a much shorter life. This instrument can be repaired in 50 years, and used for another 50.
  • CharlesW
    Speaking of organs in Texas, what do you know, Jackson, on the Austin restoration at St. John Vianney Catholic Church in Houston. I am getting Facebook updates on it from the Austin Company.
  • I will put in an additional good word for Ross King's work. I played a recital on his then-new instrument at Holy Trinity Seminary (Dallas-Irving) several years ago and was very impressed with all aspects of the design, tonal scheme, and craftsmanship. The recital included a gamut from Couperin to Bach and to Tournemire and Langlais. It was a very tonally satisfying and versatile instrument. If you are interviewing organbuilders, put Ross King on your list.

And, here's proof that an organ is as 'affordable' as a simulacrum!
    I've heard of simulacra that cost twice that much - and they won't last anywhere near half as long.

Charles -
    Sorry, I am of no help about the St John Vianney instrument.
    I know nothing at all about it.
    But!
    I shall enquire and get back to you.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    How lovely!
  • Charles -
    All I know right now is that the organ at St John Vianney's is an Austin of 60 ranks and was installed in 2016. I'll call the Musical Director there and see what else I can learn. He was in one of my chant classes several years ago. I do know that he swiped up one of the winners at the AGO competitions here last summer to be his organist. It is a large, wealthy, church out in the Memorial area with an ambitious music program.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW