The Impact of Vatican II on church music
  • Hi! I'm an Orthodox church musician from Finland, writing a paper about ressourcement, or liturgical awakening in Finnish orthodox Church music. Because it was a international and inter ecclesiastical movement I would like like to read something about the impact that Vatican II had on church music in the western church. Any suggestions?
  • Get the popcorn ready.
  • Two things need to be distinguished -
    1. What the council actually did and said.
    2. What people came home from it and did.

Of these two things, the first was largely postitive, but has had almost no 'impact'.
    Of these two things, the second has had a purposefully destructive 'impact'.

In discussing the topic of this thread equal weight should be given to both arms of this dichotomy.

More later.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    From the left wing of the Church responses:

"How Awesome is This Place" by Rv. E. Donald Osuna- account of the response of the Diocese of Oakland California towards liturgical implementation of Vatican II "principles."

"Keep the Fire Burning: The Folk Mass Revolution" Sep 24, 2009
    by Ken Canedo- similar account to above.
    Thanked by 1mariaverikov
  • There is an excellent account in chapters 8-10 of the book Catholic Music Through the Ages by Edward Schaefer (Hillenbrand Books, 2008). It happens to correspond to the outline offered by M. Jackson Osborne above:

chap. 8: what Vatican II said;
    chap. 9: what was actually done after Vatican II, and
    chap. 10: what we can do about it.

The book is focused on the United States (understandably enough), but I'd think that much of what he says is applicable to other Western countries.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Liam, my citations were not intended to be endorsements, but Tucker's article is a most worthy companion and retort. I may have reviewed the Osuna book for the Café (can't remember) as I was there in 70-73.