Extraordinary Form Proper Substitutes
  • Does anyone know if you can substitute EF Propers with the entirety of the psalms from which they were originally taken? My scholas are still learning the notation and I thought it might be nice to get them singing sooner than later by chanting Proper psalms on psalm tones. Does that make sense...? I suppose I can just have them sing the actual Propers on psalm tones but that seems too short.

GOD bless!
    Daniel
  • No, you can't.

Is your schola singing the ordinary?
  • CCoozeCCooze
    There are extra verses to be found that would also be on psalm tones, if you need to extend the propers.
    There are also motels with Proper texts that could be used to fill in any time / to replace a proper that is too short.
    Many options available, if you look around. Or, if you have a specific Sunday in mind, someone might point you in the most helpful direction.
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, Daniel!

For the Introit and Communion antiphons, you can sing the antiphon on a psalm tone, and add as many psalm verses as necessary, ending with a Gloria Patri. You can find the verses in the book Versus Psalmorum et Canticorum.

For the Offertory, you can add verses from the Offertoriale.

But you probably don't need to use psalm tones for the Introit and Communion antiphons themselves: those usually have syllabic chants, and the melodies are not as ornate as those of the Offertory, Gradual, and Alleluia.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • SalieriSalieri
    There really is no way to learn the notation other than by doing it, and psalmtones won't help for anything beyond a pes or a clivis, or the odd torculus if using the solemn tones: you will likely never encounter a salicus, scandicus, quilisma, porrectus, or lequescent in psalmody.

The Communions are usually short, start with them, using psalmtones for other propers and as backup Communions. Teach the notation in context: it isn't necessary for the average choir member to know the name of a porrectus flexus, but to know how to execute that neum when it is encountered. Just my $0.o2; YMMV.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Another Communio option: https://musicasacra.com/music/communio/ (scroll down to the bottom and click the correct Proper).
  • dad29
    "chanting Proper psalms on psalm tones"

You can use Rossini's psalm-tone Propers, of course. Correct text, but reviled by purists b/c it is "not Chant." But it is easy to learn and if you have limited rehearsal time, you can get all the Propers for one Mass ready to go in about 30 minutes or less.
  • Liam
    If you read the topic caption too fast, it can read as "Extraordinary Form Proper Subtitles"

Brought a smile to my face

• Thank you, everyone! JonathanKK - we are building up to the Ordinary. I am pretty sure they know the de Angelis by hearing, which is fine, but I still need to get them accustomed to notation to learn other Ordinaries as well. Salieri - I agree that doing is the best teacher, but I also have to work on their sound, which is why psalm tones are appealing because they allow us to isolate learning how to sing well. More ornate chants leave little room for good singing when all your concentration is on note learning. My ultimate motivation like I said in the original post is to get them singing for Mass regularly sooner than later. It is easy to make the mistake of practicing too much without the satisfaction of bringing the fruits of one's labors to the Mass. I don't want to discourage them.