• The Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham
    Houston

PATRONAL FEAST
    -

Solemn Pontifical Mass
    11.15am

(All three readings sung.)

Organ Voluntary - Praeludium, in G-Major (BWV 541) - - - J.S. Bach
    At the Procession - Hymn: 'Hail Thee Festival Day...When We in Mary's Praise' - - - Salve festa dies

The Introit - Rorate caeli - - - Mode I (Palmer-Burgess)
    Kyrie - Mass in F-Major - - - Harold Darke
    Gloria - Missa Sancta Maria Magdelene - - - Healey Willan

Psalm - Magnificat anima mea - - - Chant, William Jacobs
    Alleluya and Verse - Et ingressus angelus - - - Mode (P-B)

The Nicene Creed - - - Recto tono, with organ embellishments
    The Prayers of the People - - - Byzantine Chant

At the Offertory -
    The Antiphon: Ave Maria gratia plena - - - Mode I (P-B)
    Anthem: Ave maris stella - - - Edvard Grieg

Sanctus - Mass in F-Major - - - Harold Darke
    The Our Father - - - Mode VII
    Agnus Dei - Mass in F-Major - - - Harold Darke

At the Communion -
    The Antiphon: Ecce virgo - - - Mode I (P-B)
    Motet: Ave verum corpus - - - William Byrd
    Hymn: 'Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence' - - - Picardy

At the Procession to the Outdoor Shrine -
    The Litany of Our Lady of Walsingham:
    The Angelus - - - Anglican Chant
    Hymn: 'Sing of Mary, Pure and Lowly' - - - Raquel
    ____________________________________________________________________________________

Solemn Choral Evensong
    4.00pm

Organ Voluntary - Cortege et Litanies - - - Marcel Dupres

Introit - 'A Hymn to the Virgin' - - - Benjamin Britten

Preces and Responses - - - David Jernigan
    The Office Hymn - 'Ye Who Own the Faith of Jesus' - - - Den des Vaters sinn geboren
    Psalm CXI - Confitebor tibi - - - Chant, Percy Buck
    Psalm CXXVII - Nisi Dominus - - - Chant, Thomas Attwood

Magnificat - Evening Service in G - - - Francis Jackson
    Nunc Dimittis - Evening Service in G - - - Francis Jackson

The Suffrages - - - David Jernigan

The Anthem - - - Ecce virgo concipiet - - - William Byrd

The Marian Antiphon - Salve Regina - - - Diego Dias Melgas

Hymn - 'O Glorious Maid, Exalted Far' - - - Ivyhatch

Organ Voluntary - Scherzo in E-Major - - - Eugene Gigout
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

We had 30 Acolytes from all over the US and Canada being instituted at high mass this morning.

• KyleM18
    It's a shame that version of Salva festa dies is not included in most modern hymnals. I believe that I may have seen it in HPSC, but that's about it.

So, all your instituted acolytes have to come down to Houston's shrine to get instituted. That shows real dedication on their part. Wish the altar servers/acolytes in most dioceses had that dedication...
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Kyle -

They came down here today. I don't think that they always necessarily have to. Bishop Lopes does a lot of traveling in his rather spacious 'diocese'. This is the second time, though, that we have had a 'mass institution of acolytes' - we had one last year for about 35 or 40 candidates. Bishop Lopes really takes seriously the matter of only instituted persons fulfilling their proper roles in the sanctuary. Plus, we have a corps of very well trained servers. Ditto lectors. The two of us who are instituted lectors are charged with singing the the lesson and the epistle on all solemnities.

The sub-deacon at our high masses must be an instituted acolyte. Ditto the historic English 'clerk' (or 'clark') at our low masses. ('Clerk' being a brief form of 'cleric'.) The clerk, in addition to several servers, two torches, and a crucifer, attends the priest at all low masses.

We did everything today. We had a verger at high mass and evensong. The crucifer, true to Sarum usage, wore a tunicle. The cathedral choir were outstanding, and our people were not bashful in their singing. A contingent from San Antonio came on a bus, and there were visitors from all over the Ordinariate. Oh, and we now have five resident Dominican sisters fulfilling roles in education, etc.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Heath
    Jackson, great line-up!

I would curious to see that Nicene Creed . . . share a PDF, perhaps?
  • Heath -
    The creed is simply sung recto tono with an improsived chordal underlay to keep the pitch. The underlay usually gets more interesting at points of particular importance or drama in the creed. There is no music. It's different at every mass.

I do think that written-out versions exist, for this is quite common in Episcopal churches - but I don't have one.

Doing the creed this way can be nice, but, if sung recto tone, my preference is for a capella. I really don't think our people need it, but 'someone' started doing this and so now we can't stop.

Nothing compares with one of the actual Gregorian melodies. But anything is better than not sung at all.
  • ghmus7
    Can't we just declare that Anglican Ordinariate music be the music of the Catholic church and burn everythng else?
  • GerardH
    @Heath. Here is a pdf with a few organ accompaniments to recto-tono singing of the Our Father and both Creeds. I've taken this from "The Village Organist: Volume 6" edited by Woods, which I'm fairly sure is public domain.

I've used the Apostles Creed and Lord's Prayer by Bridge on a single occasion when I was organist for an Ordinariate Evensong. They certainly did the job.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Theodore Marier came up with an accompaniment for a recto tono singing of the Nicene Creed with some rather interesting chords. I think I found it in this forum adapted to the current Roman Missal. I'm sure it would be easily adaptable to the translation of the Creed used in Divine Worship.
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, I updated Marier's one-note samba Credo for the new edition.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen WGS Caleferink