communion covering
  • Hello there

Quite a long time lurker. How do you cover time when choir recieves? Pastor has requested only a strict play through of the hymn to be sung. The only issue with this is the amount of repetitions necessary before the choir has returned to sing. He has told me no variations or improvisations even those of a meditative spirit.

Thought?
  • canadashcanadash
    Here is a thread on the subject: https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/9650/communion-for-the-choir/p1

We have continued the practise of having the men sing the proper as soon as the bell is rung, after the priest has consumed the Body and Blood of Our Lord. At this time the trebles go to communion. When they return the men go to communion and the trebles sing a communion hymn.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • CharlesW
    If this nutty pastor wont let you play anything, a possibility would be to alternate soloists. One could sing a hymn verse then another sing while the original soloist receives. What about communion propers. Would Fr. Goofball let a soloist sing the proper while choir receives? Then you could get that singer to receive last while you play a hymn verse. Of course you could always play or sing nothing. Let holy silence reign.
  • David,

1) I don't think you should address your pastor as Charles does here. "Nutty pastor" and "Fr. Goofball" seem ill-suited to the proper resolution of the situation.

2) Do you mean that the pastor wishes that you play during the entire time the choir receives -- from leaving the area from which it sings until he (the pastor) is ready for the Post-Communion prayer?

2a) If I've got that right, I would attempt to do exactly as he asks, but I would start softly and, on each repetition, grow progressively louder, until you reach the volume at which you will play while the choir sings. I don't think your priest's instruction is particularly well-considered, but the only way to change it is to prove to him that it doesn't work. Try making it work, and when he says, "Why do you go on, monotonously, for 6 verses of the same hymn while nobody sings", you'll have your answer: "I'm trying to do exactly what you asked me to do, and it sounds monotonous. May I do it differently?"

• Thanks for you comments

Yes he wants music for the duration.

I feel a bit like the situation may be beyond doing what he asks for as in other circumstances I have tried implementing his exact desires without favorable results and usually to a negative comment. But I will be happy to try your suggestions.

I have a feeling this may be a way of keeping me on my toes or it may be that nothing I do will please him. The situation is depressing me and I am questioning my own musical judgement and tastes. I am sure others here have experiences similar situations. Comments would be appreciated.

• I read this forum sporadically, and I'm not the most doctrinally sound musician, although I'm trying hard to do the right thing, per the Missal. I've used the Missal antiphons for six years, now, and my current parochial administrator texted me after 4:00 Mass one Saturday a couple weeks ago for using a Psalm as the entrance instead of a hymn.

In a way he has set me/us back while he aims at getting a moribund singing parish to sing.

But, since most of us on this group are conscientious and take care to sing the right things on a weekly basis, my advice to you and to myself is : do not let a priest, no matter how holy or well-formed he may be, make you question your judgement. If those of us here were rank amateurs who played hymnal lottery each Sunday, it would be different, and he might have a case against you. But when you are choosing carefully, wisely and appropriately, it is disconcerting. Don't let that, however, make you lose your confidence.

Tommy
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    nothing I do will please him

As the "Magic 8-Ball" might say: "Signs point to yes."
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • That's good advice RedPop. Perhaps be ready to shake the dust from your sandals and move on if you don't feel that the admin wants what you're offering.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Priests! Ya gotta have them, which can be good or bad. Before working with them, and I have been fortunate in having worked with some good ones, I held them in higher esteem. After years of experience, I have concluded there are those who are not worth killing. Some are just badly formed theologically and musically and may do as much harm as good. Davidbach, it does sound like nothing you do will please him.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Liam
    You can inflict Taize on him.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • melofluentmelofluent
    In a way he has set me/us back while he aims at getting a moribund singing parish to sing.

IMHO, there's way too much in this statement to unpack in order to address the Communion situation. In observance of CW's strict silence, I'll refrain from opening this box. The rest of us is welcome to try, though.
  • Why not have strictly congregational singing of a hymn while the choir makes their Communion, even if you only have a handful of hymns to alternate every few weeks? Would your congregation be incapable of singing, for example, "Soul of My Savior," "Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All," or "O salutaris" without a choir or soloist "leading"?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • That was my thought also - choose material which the whole congregation, not just the choir, can and will sing.

But you do need to understand where his request is coming from.

Possibly he is trying to get you to leave. Depending on your contract and the employment laws in a your area he may not be allowed to say so directly, so is using any indirect methods he can think of. If this is the case, then some careful questions from you might clear the air, and buy you some time to look for another position.

Or maybe he's just trying to solve a problem (eg someone complained about the accompaniments being so fancy that they didn't know when to sing), and has fallen into the trap of stating a (possible but wrong) technical solution, instead of making you responsible for finding the correct solution. If you suspect this, then you need to find out what the real problem is, and talk to him about better options.

Also - you may find lots of repetitions tedious and boring. But that's you as a musician.
    Other people don't see it that way. The pastor may have observed that after about their third repetition the congregation is just starting to get the tune, and by the sixth they're joining in, so he wants six.
  • Thanks for your comments

Pax,
    I appreciate your thoughts especially the bit about repetition. This might be the only solution.

I dont think a congregational singing during communion will go over well as we sing a post communion hymn after the host is reposed. And as others suggested to have a solo sung might be asking too much from our loyal but humble choir (great people all)

In general the congregation sings really well.

The pastor's words seemed to imply that he wants a clear tune played so the congregation can sing the words in their hearts. The piece that prompted his comment to be sung only by choir is a beautiful staple of a communion hymn I won't mention the title here (d minor). While the choir went to recieve I played the melody on a very soft stop accompanied by only the alto with a soft drone in the pedal. Simple and meditative and a perfect way to introduce the hymn for the choir.

I do suspect that he is responding to comments from the congregation.

In regards to employment the job pays little for the work load and I dont think he wants to get rid of me because there is a continual discussion of future liturgical music projects and things he wants implemented.

At the risk of sounding pathetic I am at loss here.
  • the job pays little for the work load

I know this isn't tangible, but he could always "supplement" you pay by "paying" you the courtesy of allowing your free judgement on these sort of issues. If he values your talent enough to try to keep you for future liturgical projects, I'd think this could be the least he could do.

P.S. There was a part of me that thought upon reading the title of this thread that it would address Communion Rail Cloths . . .
  • I don't think you should address your pastor as Charles does here.

Nah, don't worry Chris. In the Eastern Church these are terms of endearment. Byzantines are much more brusque in their interactions! :D
    Thanked by 1CharlesW