One should / should not expect to sing soon after eating ___________
  • I want to ask our Pastor if he might agree to offer some Saturday AM Mass for the choir, and join us for a brunch afterwards. Following that, we could have a 2 hr practice (with a break).

I mentioned this to one of my singers, who was professionally trained, and she remarked that pizza is a major phlegm causer & should be off the menu if you want people to sing afterwards. Also milk.

I am wondering, if anyone knows, what foods might be served? Or should definitely not be served?

thanks!
  • Our choir director mentioned cream, and chocolate, especially chocolate.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • francis
    ah... just wash it down with wine... that'll clear it out

very hot water right before singing
  • .Avoid sweets like the plague
    .It is not optimal to sing on a full stomach
    .Avoid cold drinks - they constrict circulation of blood in the vocal apparatus
    .For best results chew on a lemon
  • A little elaboration on the above -

Blood distribution is an important factor in the various activities of us humans -
    Anything more than very moderate eating before singing is detrimental to singing - if one wants really to sing.

Food in the tummy naturally draws blood there for the digestive process - and in addition, away from the brain - which needs to be really sharp and focused for smart singing.

For singing one wants that blood available to the brain and vocal faculties for the very demanding vocal and mental process of serious singing.

Whether I am singing and/or directing chant or choral music, or giving an organ recital (or even engaged in serious practice) I would never have more than a morsel of food in my stomach.
  • To quote Chesterton,

I don't care where the water goes, as long as it doesn't get into the wine
  • melofluentmelofluent
    A little elaboration on the above

• francis
    a happy stomach can also contribute to overall well being which can contribute to less stress on the brain fingers eyes and feet, not to mention you have put fire in the furnace for maximum energy output. not sure i buy into the morsel philosophy. i also think age and overall health are factors.

i have on occasion soaked my hands in a bowl of warm water before an organ concert. that can really limber up the digits.
  • Coffee. Very drying and constricting, add in cream or whatever else and then you're junky and constricted at the same time. I never eat before singing and rarely right before performing on an instrument. It makes me instantly sluggish and tired.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Maybe a 2-hour practice, followed by brunch, then? ;-)
  • CharlesW
    Whiskey before rehearsal. You may not sound good but you won't care.
  • Really, a rehearsal following brunch would hardly be an instance when singers must be on their best!
  • I had Buffalo wings before Mass once. That was a mistake.
  • I can't ask for the Mass time to be moved. oh well.
  • I have also found that it's better not to eat anything immediately before singing. Francesco Lamperti recommends at least an hour between eating and singing tasks.
  • francis
    I should qualify that I was speaking mostly of playing the organ (above), and not so much about singing. I never sang solos, (and once in a while sing in Dr. K's choir and schola) but I did cantor often, and I find that hot water with lemon works well.

Also, if you really want to get serious, use a syringe with warm salt water (the same temperature as your body) and flush your sinuses with that. I can sing a very high contra tenor after that treatment.
  • Well, if you're living off a regular musician's salary, you'll have plenty of opportunities to abstain from eating . . .

• our average salary is 60 minutes an hour ;-)
  • bhcordovabhcordova
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I mean, in all honesty, if I haven't eaten fairly recently before a rehearsal (especially a 2-3 hour one), I'm going to feel pretty crummy and probably a bit anxious to leave. This is true of both church choir and symphony chorus. I need to have eaten, and definitely need to have plenty of water at my disposal, to maintain the highest degree of focus and strength.

So, a taco place probably wouldn't be good, because then you have to deal with chips in gums/throats. Pasta can make some people feel bloated, maybe. But it's most important simply to make sure they aren't going to be fainting after a Mass + 2-hour rehearsal.
  • Our schola master has stated that drinking milk before chanting actually helps his voice.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    One should / should not expect to sing soon after eating ___________

Pufferfish
  • Melo - remind me not to come to your house for dinner on a Friday.
  • francis
    oh, i have had them... they are delicious and are a perfect hoursderve before singing Mozart.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    oh, i have had them

Not ze vey I cook zem, fwancees!
  • francis
    I caught them three at a time on my fishing line deep sea fishing back when I was a kid. We ate them that night and they were incredibly good.

Melo, how doest thou cookest thy ferociously-teethed sea balloons?

This was the variety we had eaten:

https://www.nccoast.org/2013/04/our-coasts-food-the-chicken-of-the-sea/
  • How sad!