Does this make sense?
  • My 18yo son, Peter, just got a letter from our parish where he is organist stating that he cannot "clock in" and get paid when his brother, William, (the former organist for 5 years at this same parish, now a student at Notre Dame taking organ lessons and enjoying an opportunity to play the organ for Mass when he is home on break). Last Christmas when we thought of the idea of William substituting while home on break, we asked the powers that be (pastor, music director and parish manager) and were told it was fine and Peter should just clock in and settle the payment between him and his brother. Now the letter states that due to "liability issues" this practice cannot continue and, if William plays, Peter will just have to forfeit his pay and it's all volunteer.

Does this make sense to anyone?

There's a lot that doesn't make sense at this parish.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    ...can William clock in when he's there to play?
  • CharlesW
    Are you sure the diocesan bean counters aren't involved? We were told some changes in the labor laws had caused some changes, without going into all of them.
  • It makes perfect sense. If Peter clocks in when he is not actually working, then he is falsifying labour records. That is a crime in most jurisdictions. The technical name for it is likely different in the USA - but fundamentally it is still telling lies about who is doing the actual work.

The liability issue comes in around insurance, labour law and suchlike. If William is on the premises, then he needs to be covered if he falls over and hurts himself. Attendance records need to be kept in case a vulnerable person makes an accusation of some kind of abuse. Also, there are sometimes laws about the number of hours that people can work for. For all of these reasons, record, clock-records etc need to be accurate. Allowing "B can clock in when A is actually doing the work" situations breaks this, and causes problems.

I know it was a handy arrangement for your family - and it being in the family, the risks would be managed to a great extent. But allowing that kind of behaviour overall causes problems.

Now if Peter and William attend together, both go to the loft and Peter stays the whole time but William actually plays ... I cannot see any problem with Peter clocking in, because he was actually there to do the work if needed.
  • CharlesW
    That is a good solution to have them both there. I am salaried and it makes no difference if I work 2 hours or 30. I get the same pay, regardless. After some Obama era labor law changes, everyone had to start filling out time sheets, even in my case where it didn't make any difference in pay. That came from the diocese and had to do with exempt and non-exempt classifications and even new overtime rules, although none of us get overtime pay. Blame the Department of Labor.
  • Now if Peter and William attend together, both go to the loft and Peter stays the whole time but William actually plays ... I cannot see any problem with Peter clocking in, because he was actually there to do the work if needed.

They are there together the whole time, and always have been every time William plays instead of Peter.
  • It is clear that you are dealing with automatons.

If they don't pay, don't play.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Why can't they give William a stipend for playing? Do they not want him to play?
  • chonakchonak
    There should already be some arrangement in place for hiring a substitute organist for occasions when Peter is absent (vacation, etc.) Is it possible to follow that procedure when William plays?
  • Thank you for your replies. I think I understand better what's going on now. Automatons is right on the mark. At least that's the most charitable explanation.

The parish has no arrangement for substitutes because our pastor has no interest in the organ being played anyway. (If Peter is absent on one of his Sundays to play, they have no music.) Before he came five years ago, the organ was played every Sunday with a choir of 12, men and women. Now there are two organ Masses per month, having given way to "LifeTeen Mass" for 2nd Sunday and "Contemporary Mass" for 4th Sunday. The "choir", which last year was three older ladies (volunteer) and an older lady director (paid), now consists of one older lady plus my 17 yo daughter, Sarah, who decided to help out because her brother plays the organ and she has training in sacred music which she offers as a gift to the parish. Many parishioners genuinely appreciate the music when my children are there and, for their sake, Peter and Sarah wish to continue. However, I can't imagine our pastor letting the choir continue and pay a choir director for what it is now so I expect some changes are coming soon. During the summer when the choir was not singing, Peter played the organ and Sarah served as cantor which was a very fine arrangement and we would be happy to see it return to that and save the embarrassment of the "choir".

BTW, we live in the rural South where there are few Mass/parish options. We would have to travel 2.5 hours either to Memphis or Nashville to find a parish that is, how do I say--more concerned about sacred liturgy.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    When William is in town have Peter play part of the Mass and William play part of the Mass. Peter bills the church and splits it with his brother as they agree and see fit. This way William can offer Peter advice on how to better his organ playing, one or both get paid, and the church doesn't have to worry about whatever legal drama the diocese/government/New World Order is putting on it.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • Unfortunately, there are other issues at work that preclude doing anything that makes sense, as above. The only way to "win" in this situation is follow the letter of the law laid down. The alternative is to leave the parish. Peter has one more year before going off to college, then we will depart the premises.
  • This sort of thing is beginning to happen where I am as well. The pastor has established a "guitar Mass" on the fourth Sunday of every month. The guitarist used to be the DM for another local parish that was well known for its "contemporary music" while he was there. In the other Sundays, the regular DM with choir, cantor, and organ are still used, but who is to say that won't change and the guitars will be taking over eventually?

You mention that your children give their talents to the parish as a gift, which is very noble of them, and is something that should be lauded highly. The sad thought occurred to me that there probably aren't many in your parish that appreciate their gifts; at least that's been my experience. Many PIPs don't see those types of talents as a gift or offering of free will, but more as something they can exploit in order to push the music of their generation on the next, and keep the "Spirit of Vatican 2" alive.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • It truly is amazing how few "youth" want the "Youth Mass" music.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • CharlesW
    I don't think the youth necessarily want "youth mass" music. My experience is they make fun of the musicians and call them hippies. But enough said. I am near dear old Melo's age and will soon be following him into retirement. Someone else can deal with it.
  • Charles,

I watched the moon landing from my mother's lap, being just a yearling at the time, so I'm quite some time from retirement yet. Since I'm that far away, I will keep working to help spread good music.
  • francis
    Get a job at Walmart.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I can't see Chris at Walmart. Chris to customer: So, you think you are one of the true shoppers. You didn't handle that cart reverently when you pulled it from the rack. You're a heretic. Sacro-rollback smiley face said you must respect and acknowledge the pride of place of carts in the shopping experience. I would have to sell my Walmart stock since it would rapidly become worthless. LOL
  • francis
    my comment about Walmart was not for Chris it was for the OP and her quandaries
  • CharlesW
    my comment about Walmart was not for Chris it was for the OP and her quandaries

You were not clear on that. I had to go back to see who the original poster was. Her parish doesn't sound like an ideal place to be, but so many of them are not anywhere. Yeah, Chris is definitely NOT Walmart material. LOL.
  • Charles,

Is that meant to be a compliment?
  • I, Chris, would take that to be a fine compliment -
    of the sort that people often make to me
    when they say 'you don't sound like you're from Texas'.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Definitely a compliment. Stay away from Walmart. I saw Sasquatch there last week standing in front of the ice cream freezer. ;-)
  • francis
    aha... another Walmartian sighting!
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    My 18yo son, Peter, just got a letter from our parish where he is organist stating that he cannot "clock in" and get paid when his brother, William, (the former organist for 5 years at this same parish, now a student at Notre Dame taking organ lessons and enjoying an opportunity to play the organ for Mass when he is home on break). Last Christmas when we thought of the idea of William substituting while home on break, we asked the powers that be (pastor, music director and parish manager) and were told it was fine and Peter should just clock in and settle the payment between him and his brother. Now the letter states that due to "liability issues" this practice cannot continue and, if William plays, Peter will just have to forfeit his pay and it's all volunteer.

Does this make sense to anyone?

There's a lot that doesn't make sense at this parish.

From an employers point of view, it makes perfect sense. Why pay someone for not working?
  • Plus there's the anti-nepotism clauses in some diocesan employee handbooks.
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe William should get a substitute-organist engagement somewhere when he comes home for Christmas. (There are churches that run simultaneous Masses on Christmas Eve and Day.) He can charge extra for it, and then both he and Peter can be paid for their work that day.

Organists, how much higher should the substitute charge be? Twice his normal rate?
  • Maybe William should get a substitute-organist engagement somewhere when he comes home for Christmas. (There are churches that run simultaneous Masses on Christmas Eve and Day.) He can charge extra for it, and then both he and Peter can be paid for their work that day.

Organs, and hence the need for organists, are extremely rare in these here parts, actually non-existent in Catholic parishes within a 60-75 mile radius from our parish. There are a few keyboards about but not organs. I think William will probably just play some pre- and post-Mass music on our parish organ when he's home for Christmas, just to keep up with his practice. He'll be back at ND next semester (he's in Athens for study abroad right now) and will carry on with organ lessons and real opportunities for playing at Mass.

It's not that big of a deal, just a departure from what we were originally told and I wondered about the change. Makes ridiculous sense now.
  • Noted and logged: not being a Walmart-employee type is a good thing.

On the regional accent thing: my father went to great lengths to be rid of his Lincolnshire accent, because he feared that he wouldn't be taken seriously as an academic if he kept it. I have an accent, but it's not the unique Buffalo accent which surrounded me when I was a youngster.