Divinum Officium questions
  • CharlesSA
    What is the most recent "Antiphonale Romanum" (or the equivalent, whatever it may be called) that would be in use for those saying the Old office? Is there one of these in print right now? I found on this website (CMAA) the download for the 1960 Liber Antiphonarius; however, it seems to not have the updated classification system/newer calendar (meaning the same calendar that is used for the 1962 Missal) - it still has doubles/semi-doubles/etc.

So I am wondering, then, if there is a newer Antiphonale that includes the most recent calendar with its classifications (I-II-III-IV class, etc) before the current reformed one. I'm aware that the Liber Usualis includes what one would need to sing the Divine Office for much of the Liturgical Year; but again, I am looking for an actual Antiphonale.

Also, a connected question: is anyone aware of any priests/groups of priests in the Roman Rite that sing the Divine Office, according to its newest version before the reforms in the 1960s, with any regularity? If there are any such groups, then I would assume they use whatever the most recent Antiphonale is; if there are not any such groups, then I wouldn't be surprised if the only "updated" resource for singing the Divine Office is in the Liber Usualis.
  • MatthewRoth

By the way, the Liber Usualis from 1962 has the correct calendar and rubrics, in the front anyways. It expects you to have an ordo. It was not retypeset in its entirety, for reasons not entirely understood by me, but this largely preserves the pagination… So, for example, the Assumption leaves commemoration of 1st Vespers of St Joachim, even though that was dropped.

The LU is useful because it has Vespers and Compline for every day and pretty much all feasts, as well as the Little Hours of Sunday and Matins and Lauds of important feasts and the Triduum. Most communities have their own books for the daily Lauds and Little Hours, or they are sung recto tono. Or they sing solemnly Lauds only occasionally, so they make a book for the feast alone. I can also say that LU 800 (801 or 802 in English, I think; there are a few 700–editions which are very nearly the same) is very useful, even though on the one hand it doesn’t have the old Assumption liturgy but has the old Holy Week, on the other hand…
  • CharlesSA
    1949 is the most recent? What is the 1960 Liber Antiphonarius then that I found on here?

I guess I haven't looked closely at it (at all, in fact), but it seems to be almost the same as the Pius X breviary (Antiphonale Romanum 1912) that is also on here as a PDF, except that it has the Old Solesmes markings on the chants.

I will definitely have to take a more close look at the LU, especially the rubrics.

I am interested in undertaking a project of compiling an "Antiphonale Romanum". I haven't thought about it a lot yet, and so I'm aware that it may be too big of a project to undertake - and possibly a pointless one, since it appears there are no communities that sing the full 1962 Divine Office (other than possibly recto tono for most of them). But nonetheless, I still think it would be good to have such a resource. But in order to do so, I need to learn the rubrics and calendar/classifications, and make sure I have, somewhere or another, the notated chants.
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    The Antiphonale which the CMAA scanned was labeled "1960", because of the fact that it does in fact have a supplement dated 1960 for St. Joseph the Worker.

Google / Hathitrust also has an Antiphonale digitized and labeled 1960, which can only be accessed in limited / search-only fashion; however, it is almost certain that this is the same as the CMAA's book.

Please check out my Dominus regnavit blog project HERE, where I am investigating the use of this Antiphonale 1949/60 for singing the office according to the rubrics of 1962 by posting daily recordings of Lauds.
    Thanked by 1BGP
  • chonakchonak
    Going by this list of published Gregorian editions, I'm not aware of any editions of the full Antiphonale later than 1949.
  • BGP
    Jonathan- that's pretty cool.
    Thanked by 1JonathanKK