Order of Worship/Programme - Dedication of Raleigh Diocese Cathedral
  • melofluentmelofluent
    http://dioceseofraleigh.org/sites/default/files/files/NC WorshipAidFINAL.pdf

Thoughts off the page? Thoughts from the broadcast?
  • The building is beautiful.
    Far more beautiful than Houston's co-cathedral, which is redeemed only by its Pasi organ.
    I was holding my breath to see if an organ would appear.
    How nice that one did, and that it's a Fisk! (or will be.)
    Nice also, to see that there is a large real carillon. (Fifty bells, yet!)
    Nice, too, the preservation of fine glass from dis-used churches.
    Nice, too, the neo-classical architectural vocabulary, and the refreshingly correct use of its elements.
    As for the music - none of it merits comment or notice - except for Thaxted and Parry's great jubilation.
    Thanked by 2francis tomjaw
  • francis
    ditto MJO

the music is deplorable
    as for thaxted... highly
    overrated
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • cmb
    Yikes. Not a note of Gregorian chant? So much for pride of place.
  • ...highly...

Perhaps not 'overrated', Francis, so much as in danger of being over done, which is the worst thing that can happen to a good tune. Actually, it is, in comparison to by far most tunes, rather a complexly structured one which unfolds with surprising 'turns of phrase'.
  • rich_enough
    Strange to have such foursquare pedestrian music on such an occasion in such a glorious space.
  • Liam
    It might help to keep in mind that this conversation here is quite public.
  • francis
    In that case, we pray that the diocese will in the future choose music fitting of the Mass, the beautiful grand setting it has established and the Fisk to come.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • "It might help to keep in mind that this conversation here is quite public. "

As was the event itself! At the same time, we never know all the inner workings and committee pressures that go into an event like this. I know that there has been a lot of turmoil and turnover in the music director position in the past five years, which certainly doesn't help.

Still - generally good space, real pipe organ on the way, and Tallis and Parry - could be worse!
  • redsox1
    These things are ALWAYS planned by committee so I would be inclined to cut anyone some slack.
    The lack of chant, however, really stood out, and not only for obvious reasons of principle. If nothing else, it would have been a welcome foil to the dense and busy orchestrations. Yes, may times less is more!

I agree with Jared-I would like to look at the positive. There is obviously some priority placed on music in that diocese. This is Fisk's FIRST Catholic installation. Somebody in Raleigh (and not just the musician) had the vision to make this happen. I'll be interested to see how the cathedral music program develops in that new space.
    Thanked by 3Liam francis cmb
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Mindful of Liam's admonishment and Jared's wisdom....

I agree with the trials and travails of "committee" deliberation. It is curious that "pride of place" seems to have little adherence in this case. There also seemed to be a rather automatic default to an absolute of "participatio actuosa" at play. Doesn't this reflect a sort of reductionist approach? Of course, it would be difficult to include a full-throttle orchestra with a Gregorian or pre-Venetian polyphonic ordinary.

Speaking of orchestral stuff.... did anyone notice a distinct disadvantage to the choir in terms of broadcast mic'ing/mixing.?

• Liam
    MeloChas

The liturgy of dedication is probably the most exhausting of any in the ritual books: it can make the Easter Vigil seem like a cakewalk (especially because liturgy folks have annual experience of the latter in a familiar space, but a dedication typically takes place in a new space that people aren't used to working in yet and is rarely experienced frequently except in unusual demographic blips).

There's an enormous amount of theology distilled and condensed into dedication rites; it's almost like a meal entirely of a flight of foie gras preparations. This might subconsciously provoke a reaction in planners to break it down, as it were. As opposed to taking a more leisurely and spacious tack that allows savoring and digestion. (An American versus Latin mindset towards feasting.)

• Let's be cautious about the words we speak about our colleagues. The new director in Raleigh is a friend of mine from Note Dame. I have no doubt that he has done the best job he can, no matter what many of us consider the "ideal." I find this board to be considerably elitist and dismissive of many people's best, which is the primary reason I am no longer a paying CMAA member.
  • MatthewRoth
    The forum =/= CMAA.

Also, I’ll bite and say that the tabernacle shelf–altar is too narrow for anything but that, a seperate chapel is preferable, and an arrangement with three or five steps and a baldachinno much further back (but because of politics, accessible from both sides) is preferable. The throne at an angle impedes this.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • melofluentmelofluent
    btodorovich,
    I apologize for any offense taken, none was intended as they say. The last thing CMAA folk would dub me is "elitist."
    I, too, have a friend involved, and thus I tried to temper my remarks in general terms. If I failed in that, I am, again, sorry.
  • francis
    The quibbles found about comments made in this thread have nothing to do with the personel orchestrating the event, or the politics involved, etc.

We should be free to honestly assess objectively a program like this of such significant proportion without fearing retribution of our colleagues. This is the very subject we are supposed to be learned and trained to do right and do well. We all understand quite well the dynamics at play within any organization especially one of this magnitude. It is a given. Since the diocese is also trying to do right and do well, they would probably welcome some constructive criticism. A number of us who have been at this for decades are pretty much saying the same thing. Sometimes the truth is difficult to swallow.

I cannot speak for the moderator of this forum hosted by CMAA, (which has a significant contribution from its participating body) but I would imagine comments made here do not necessarily represent the views of CMAA. But perhaps the moderator will chime in.

I do not claim to speak for CMAA but only my own observations. I suspect this is true of almost everyone who posts here.

One other observation I would make is that comments made incognito on any forum are certainly easier to dismiss since the individual does not stand on their own credibility.

All in all, I would never base my membership to CMAA upon what is said in this forum. I have been harshly treated by people posting here and although sometimes it causes pain, it comes with the turf. Ya godda have a thick skin. CMAA represents a cause to uphold and promote sacred music. You should join if you believe the same thing. END RANT
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, thanks for mentioning that the opinions posted on the forum represent the authors, and not CMAA. We don't require CMAA membership as a prerequisite for joining the forum, and I don't keep track of which users are members or not.

Now, we would like everyone to observe the Forum etiquette guidelines, which are, in brief:

Be Polite
    Write with future readers in mind.
    Keep It Clean
    Avoid Flames
    Do Not Defame
    Stay On Topic
    No Spam
    Avoid Arguments about Copyright
    Say Who You Are
    Use One Account
    Be patient about legitimate differences in personal taste.
    Be patient about differences in terminology.
    Remember Who We Are
    Be patient with non-native English speakers
    Tell the moderator about inappropriate posts

--admin
  • CharlesW
    The building is beautiful and one would hope the new DM can bring the level of music up a bit. I noticed in the credits the usual names, Joncas, Haas, Toolan, and company whose contributions to Catholic music are infamous. I know about those committees and they can be a handful to deal with.

Let's be cautious about the words we speak about our colleagues. The new director in Raleigh is a friend of mine from Note Dame. I have no doubt that he has done the best job he can, no matter what many of us consider the "ideal." I find this board to be considerably elitist and dismissive of many people's best, which is the primary reason I am no longer a paying CMAA member.

Elitist? Hardly. We just want good music - seemingly a thing too much to ask from some quarters. The DM may have presented the best compromise he was able to put together from the various factions. I suspect he is capable of better and time will tell.
  • CharlesW
    I find this board to be considerably elitist and dismissive of many people's best,

Maybe Jackson, but he's Anglican Use so you have to overlook him.
    The rest of us are extremely humble, saintly, and imbued with heroic virtues.
    Thanked by 2madorganist tomjaw
  • I have certainly seen spiteful, cruel and uncalled for comments on this forum (as on every other). I don't see anything out of line or ad hominem in this thread, though.

This was the dedication of the most significant new-build cathedral in the country - perhaps for a generation (can anyone think of something bigger recently?). The dedication liturgy is posted publicly, and is certainly a worthy topic for discussion and critique. I'm afraid that goes with the territory when you're a cathedral music director (a public leadership position)! If there is a common failing in the CMAA and often on this forum, it is a lack of understanding of where a parish has been, and what is possible at this particular moment in a particular place. Something may be a vast improvement on the recent past, while still falling short of the ideal.

• melofluentmelofluent
    Within a generation, Jared? Christ our Light, Oakland, certainly had a different ethos at work before Rudy. I, for one, look forward to the re-dedication of Christ Cathedral in Orange under Romeri.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I do not like the siting of the tabernacle. Firstly it is not in the tradition exemplified by St Peter's or St John Lateran. Secondly it is too far removed from the people to admit of private devotion, which church documents say is an important consideration. (The placing of a tabernacle on the altar was a development after the Council of Trent, not envisaged by the first editions of the Tridentine Missal.) Thirdly, it is the ideal site for the choir, not a loft at the back far from the sacred action of which it should be an intimate part.
    Westminster Cathedral shows that the choir can be placed here without it becoming a visual distraction.
  • No offense taken, anyone. I recognize this board doesn't represent the views of CMAA, I just wanted to air a concern/frustration of mine.
  • rich_enough
    My comment was an observation about the music, not about the personnel involved. I understand that the person in charge of the music certainly did the best he could with the resources he had.

For the record, my name is Samuel Schmitt, Director of Sacred Music and Organist at the Cathedral Parish in Bridgeport, CT.
    Thanked by 1MarkS
  • Here's a positive comment:

The new building is not squeezed between Democratic Party Headquarters and the Masonic Lodge, which its predecessor was.

I'm pleased to see this bishop (Burbidge) being given a promotion. Sure, the music could be improved, but given the overall state of the diocese when Bishop Burbidge took over, anything is an improvement.
  • Maybe Jackson, but he's....

Acchhh!
    Charles, how could you?
    This is a baseless injustice, a cruel slur.
    Why, we are not elitist, we are just Ordinary folk.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • francis
    Something positive.

FISK!
  • CharlesW
    Acchhh!
    Charles, how could you?
    This is a baseless injustice, a cruel slur.
    Why, we are not elitist, we are just Ordinary folk.

I haven't found anything ordinary about the Ordinariate. A pretty special group, I think.
  • CharlesW
    Something positive.

FISK!

Even I like Fisk, and you know I am not fond of trackers.
  • Hear, Hear!
    Charles likes Fisk!
    Now that's rich.
  • francis
    My dear Charles... for some very sad reason, you have been exposed to the wannabes.
  • CharlesW
    The Fisk instruments have a good sound. Unfortunately, you are buried in the pipes, so to speak, and don't have the flexibility of a console that can be moved. You never hear the instrument from the vantage point of the congregation. Oh, you say, but we love doing things the pre-technology hard way. It gains us credibility as serious organists. Yeah, right. Sounds like a bunch of old Calvinists who like to suffer for suffering's sake and think it will gain them points in heaven. Not so!
  • MatthewRoth
    a_f_hawkins, I recently learned that the missal of 1570 indicates that double genuflections are made entering and exiting if Mass is sung at the Sacrament altar. This was dropped in 1604, and it now only applies to the exposed Sacrament, at least in the traditional rite. I would have mentioned that in my BA thesis, for it shows the development.

I’m not really in favor of the choir there, given what a choir should be/was historically, and more so because that space is really best used for the solemn ceremonies. You need more space for the choir behind what's currently there.

I want side chapels. A quiet one for the Sacrament, a Lady chapel, a Sacred Heart chapel, one for the principle patrons of the place...
  • francis
    The Fisk instruments have a good sound. Unfortunately, you are buried in the pipes, so to speak, and don't have the flexibility of a console that can be moved. You never hear the instrument from the vantage point of the congregation. Oh, you say, but we love doing things the pre-technology hard way. It gains us credibility as serious organists. Yeah, right. Sounds like a bunch of old Calvinists who like to suffer for suffering's sake and think it will gain them points in heaven.

Well Charles... I guess there is no saving you. The organist should be one with the instrument, so to speak. Burried in the pipes is how it is supposed to be. If the organ is built correctly, then it will not be speaking in your face, but overhead. One does not need or desire to move a console. One does not need to hear the instrument from the vantage point of the cong if it is voiced correctly. I would "suffer" to play a Fisk, Pasi or a Fritz any day of the week over any electropneumatic.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The console of the Fisk is to be detached.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I would "suffer" to play a Fisk, Pasi or a Fritz any day of the week over any electropneumatic.

Yeah, but you ARE one of those purists. "Suffer" is a good word choice. Besides, Calvinists don't go to heaven in the first place. ;-)
  • Yeah, but you ARE...

There's that 'P' word again.
    Just like the 'E' word that someone recently bandied about here.

One refers to any who advocate and take very seriously something I don't like.
    The other - ditto.
    Both are mindless dismissals of usually admirable stuff.

It just won't do to say 'I don't really care for....' It is much more satisfying to portray what I don't care for as absurd or beyond the pale - and to project one's dislike (or, sometimes, ignorance) onto all within ear shot. Surely, WE can do better?
  • CharlesW
    But Jackson, I am catching on to Francis. He would probably play Bach on it. LOL.

That particular organ is near enough that I may actually get to hear it.

Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • francis
    eeeeeeewwwwwwwwe... I would never play BACH.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Actually I am playing a small Bach chorale prelude tomorrow. I try not to make a habit of it. I will be playing some Peeters and an anonymous French piece from the Limoges Organ Book for balance. Our "anthem" for tomorrow is "Eucaristica" by Pablo Casals. How's that for diversity?
  • francis
    C

you are the model of diversity
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ...model...

...for he is the very model of a modern major gen- diverse organist.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    That's the kind of inclusiveness I can support. The Ordinary and Propers are chant, of course.
  • tomjaw
    If we don't criticise the bad , how can the bad improve, or even find out how awful they are. Too many "so called" church musicians continue to play the worst music of the 1960's and 70's, but because they live in an echo chamber they think this is popular, when all they are doing is emptying churches of those with good musical taste, quality musicians, and almost everyone else.

WE MUST always point out what is bad... or even what is not good enough. If we do not we will be stuck with what we have.
  • francis
    Is the Fisk going to have an EP console? How disapointing
  • CharlesW
    An EP console! O dear God, no! You can't play square notes on it accurately! It won't clatter and rattle as it ages! Oh the humanity! Aieeeeeeeeeeee.

It is possible and rather common to have detached tracker consoles. Not that anyone in the congregation would ever notice the difference or remotely care.
  • francis
    Charles,
    I am sure you understand the subtlety of expression, the nuiance of attack and complete artistic control with mechanical action as opposed to an off and on response with an electric,
  • CharlesW
    I understand it, but fully realize no one else in the building knows the difference. It is possible to build some of those features into computer assisted actions. Whether anyone would spend the money on it is another issue.
  • ...no one else...

The most thoughtless, irrational, crass and insentient.... reasons for not doing something or being against it are -

...no one would know the difference...
    ...you are the only one who would know...
    ... no one cares about....
    ...only about 2% of the population would even know....
    ....now, how many people do you think would even....
    ....most people don't (or wouldn't)...
    ...no one else could tell...
    ...etc., ad nauseam...

As for organists who don't like tracker action, most of them wouldn't know a nuance from a hole in the ground, nor have the technique to produce one. Too, they will be the first to disguise their ignorance by borrowing from the catalogue of excuses given above.

Ignorance is to be lifted up and taught, not catered to.
    It is NEVER a reason to or not to do anything.

Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • CharlesW
    Jackson, you are totally full of it. I know the difference, but find the conveniences of electronic actions outweigh the supposed "nuances" of tracker performances. Unless one is playing for AGO, no one likely does know the difference. Secondly, you tracker nuts pontificate like you have found golden tablets in the back yard and are somehow enlightened beyond what the rest of us organists know. Again, you are full of it. I have played both good and bad tracker actions. I would much prefer electronic to some of the bad ones I have played. Having trackers does not create a superior instrument. It can still sound like hell and be unnecessarily difficult and unwieldy to play.
  • francis
    Charles

Who cares about anyone else... I am the artist and appreciate the difference. Everyone else may not have a clue why they are hearing what they are hearing (except a few perhaps who know).

What is the difference between going to an art museum and looking at the same art works on your computer monitor? Depth. Color. Texture (3 dimensional) Ambiance. Lighting. Perspective. Brush stroke.

What is the difference between going to the symphony and listening to Itunes?

What is the difference between thunderbird and a 1980 Margaux?

What is the difference between Haugen and Palestrina?