Left right hand question
  • Kathy
    When playing standard SATB hymn harmonizations, does everyone pretty much play SA in the right hand, T in the left hand, and B on pedals? Or are there other ways of thinking about this?

I'm thinking especially of the inner voices.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I suspect it's rather individual, but when I first learned pedal coordination I found it very reassuring to play alto with my left thumb and only have to think about the interval down to the tenor.
  • Generally RH=SA, LH=T, and F=B, as you have mentioned. However, there are times when, due to intervalic distances the LH may negotiate both a T and an A note. Finger substitution in both hands is customary to assure linear legato playing.

Care should be taken to maintain legato in one voice whilst negotiating repeated notes in another, which can often, obviously, involve two techniques in one hand.

There are numerous other ways of playing or accompanying hymns -
    Soprano melody in the pedal while playing the lower parts with the hands.
    Melody in the pedal alto, tenor, or bass, while playing the other parts manually with the hands.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    ...or thumbed quartets for that matter. When I played services on the one manual Spanish baroque Brombaugh (with divided registers needing both hands for stop pulling) one variation was playing ATB only on manuals; it was always harder than I thought it really ought to be.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    MJO pretty much nailed it. There are times when you can use RH=SA and LH=TB, but the most standard practice (because there isn't exactly one standard practice) is RH=SA, LH=T, and P=B. A trick you can use, if you really want, is to register everything French style with most of the stops drawn in the manuals, and then couple the Great down to the Pedal, with only 8' stops drawn in the pedal. Then, you can play as before, but if you choose to use the manuals for everything, the sound won't change significantly when you use the pedal for bass passages that cannot be effectively played in the manuals. I read somewhere (if I can find the original passage, I will include a link to it here later) that the French practice was to have the pedals be part of the chorus and not an addition to it, hence the lack of 16' in the pedals. Also, on a French organ, one would expect to find 16' stops in the manual divisions, not so much in the pedals. French pedal divisions weren't generally large until the Romantic Era, with the likes of Cavaille-Coll, so it was standard practice to couple the manuals to the pedal.
  • ^^^what he said. This was and still is a great help to this pianist-turned-organist who just thinks it feels mighty strange to only play T in the left hand. I'm working on it...
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    French Baroque - a very different concept of pedals than, say, Bach.

They use an 8' trumpet in the pedal for a tenor cantus firmus, with the manuals having a plein jeu.

Also, they use a pedal 8' flute in trios and the like.
  • And don't be afraid to use 16' manual stops.
    Especially for Anglican or Ordinariate flavoured hymn playing.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JonLaird
  • Kathy
    SARUM hymn playing ;)
  • We haven't covered those occasional Sundays on which one plays all voices with all thumbs, sometimes referred to as jouer a la toutes les pouces.
    Such playing is a rare treat to all and is normally out of the organist's control - indeed it may (and often does) happen even when he or she has practiced with excruciating care.
  • ViolaViola
    RH S on manual with louder stops, LH A&T on quieter registered manual, pedals B
    makes the melody stand out.
  • Major, famous organists in the classical style have said in workshops that they play everything in the hands and play the pedal, too. Sounds like heresy, but makes tremendous sense. Learning a difficult skill like reading the RH SA and the LH T only and then the B only in the pedals drives more people away from the organ then welcomes them.

Really, people - organists have delighted throughout history in creating an aura of elitism due to the difficulty of playing an instrument that IS NOT hard to master and play.

The organ USED TO BE HARD until combination action pistons became available to the common woman and man. They facilitate speeding up the process of mastering the organ, as does leaning to chant in English before learning to pronounce Latin.

I read somewhere (if I can find the original passage, I will include a link to it here later) that the French practice was to have the pedals be part of the chorus and not an addition to it, hence the lack of 16' in the pedals.

A Couperin Organ I just played has a pedal board but the manual stops DO NOT couple to the pedals, so the pedal stops are there when you want to enhance the bass line, while playing the bass also in the manuals.

Apologies to all that I may have inadvertently or advertently offended with this post.
  • Oh good, then I can stop worrying about the left hand T stuff? Awesome. Lol.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • MarkS
    I was always taught to avoid doubling the bass line with manuals and pedals; I have never found it necessary. I either play the bass in the pedals, or occasionally on the manuals for variety, but never both. I'm pretty sure this is standard pedagogical practice in my neck of the woods (NY/NH (CT)/Boston).

In addition, I was taught to play just about everything with S in right hand, A and T in left hand (even if this require a little transposition etc...), and B in pedals, so that the ability to 'solo out' the melody would be second nature. Also, it's just good reading practice! (Headache inducing at first, yes, but so was learning to play independent pedal parts as a 30-year-old accomplished pianist!)

I don't know about worrying about scaring away potential organists by teaching challenging skills. I'm more concerned with developing skilled organists! (With respect to Mr. Jones, with whose comments I am generally in agreement!)
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • Kathy
    In the OP I was going to ask if there was "another way" to think about this.

Then I realized there might be a few different ways :)
  • MarkS
    Actually, there was a period of time when I was asked to prepare each hymn four ways:
    1) all voices on manuals
    2) SAT in manuals, B in pedals
    3) S soloed out on one manual, AT on second manual, B in pedals
    4) S transposed down an octave and played in tenor on a solo stop (nice fat reed usually, but could work for quieter registration) with SAT on another manual (transposing and adjusting when necessary, but the idea is that the melody is doubled in S and T, with as much of the other two voices as is practical), B in pedal.

All of which is layed out in the hymn-playing chapters of 'Organ Technique Early and Modern' by George Ritchie and George Stauffer (Oxford University Press), which I highly recommend to organists of all abilities
    Thanked by 2Richard Mix Kathy
  • francis
    I sometimes play soprano and alto in right hand and tenor in left-hand and bass on pedals, but more often I play tenor and bass in the left hand and make up a new contrapuntal line in the pedals as I go along.
  • I, too, often invent a bass obligatto fifth voice in the pedals. Too, I often, if the singing is going well, improvise a descanting soprano instead of the actual melody. Too, I often thicken the texture with added inner voices, etc. One shouldn't, though, attempt these sorts of things until one can play hymns conventionally with confidence and is playing for a very responsive congregation. If a congregation are singing really well, they will only sing even better when treated to organ embellishments. This applies equally to choral descants. Only grinches hate descants.

Other stuff to do - (if when you have mastered the fundamentals)

On hymns (e.g., Crucifer) which have refrains, play the verses on one sound (or manual) and the refrain on a dfferent manual, or play the refrain as a solo on the trumpet stop. Or, for a tune like Vigiles et Sancti, which suggests echos, alternate the final repeated alleluyas on the trumpet vs another sound.

Avoid playing any two stanzas the same way. Each stanza may have an import which will be brought home to the singers by a different musical treatment of the text.

Some hymns' structures suggest alternating phrases on alternating manuals.

Some hymn structures suggest one phrase on a solo stop and the next phrase not. Or, alternating phrases between two manuals or sounds.

Touch is crucial in conveying the spirit of given hymns. Some should be very legato and grand whilst others (certain spirited or gladsome ones) invite a semi-staccato or detachee approach for the melody. Sometimes a varied touch may be appropriate for the literary content of each of the various stanzas of the same hymn.

Use and develop your imagination. Let it run wild when you practice. Use it judiciously when playing at mass.

Always analyse the musical and literary structure of every hymn you play. Often a unique manner of playing it will suggest itself. Often, even, several different manners may be suggested. In considering the relationship of form to manner of playing keep in mind how your particular congregation may respond and be aedified by your treatment of the hymn.

Remember that by your playing you are potentially (even crucially) instrumental in lifting hearts, engendering prayer, and in conveying to the singers a didactic, even catechetical, understanding of the text which they are singing. The combined result is the glorying of God, which is the purpose of it all.
  • SalieriSalieri
    A trick that I learned early on is that some T or A parts of standard hymns make pretty good descants, and can be used to give variety: just transpose the A up the octave so that you're playing A'-S in RH and T(B) in LH and B pedal, not too difficult. (And if one needs, one can easily pencil it in in the hymnal.)

An old practice that can be useful for variety in certain hymns -- usually those of the 18th century -- is to add grace-notes and trills, and other variations, this can get quite elaborate, but if the congregation know the tune very well, they won't get lost. E.g., instead of just playing the standard descending scale tune for Joy to the World do this:

Joy (D) to(C#-D-C#) the(B) | world!(A-B-A-G-A) the(A-G) Lord(F#-A-G-F#) is(E,tr-D) | come:(D) [etc.]

It can be very effective. (Another example at this ancient thread: Here.
    Thanked by 1MarkS
    This is technically cheating, but you can leave out one of the voices if necessary, or judiciously skip a note in a chord. This most often occurs when you are trying to conduct as well as play.
  • CharlesW
    This most often occurs when you are trying to conduct as well as play.

Or turn a page while conducting and playing, or trying to get the soprano's attention who is looking at the ceiling and hasn't watched a single thing you have done since the anthem started...
  • This most often occurs when...

Actually, one can leave out all the notes if the piece is causing grievous spiritual and intellectual discomfort. I did this on the only occasion on which I was aked to play OEW and could not escape. A few notes into it it was so horrible that my hands and mind simply could not continue. After the service, which was a requiem for a deacon who had died, one of his fellow deacons was overheard to say 'whose brilliant idea was it to sing 'Eagle's Wings' a capella?'
  • CharlesW
    I have played OEW for a few funerals, but would never use it for Sunday masses. Families can ask for some of the weirdest things at funerals. I don't get upset enough to stop playing, but tend to do the opposite. I throw on the tremolo and make it sound as trashy as possible. I wonder if some of them are aware enough to realize I am making fun of them.
  • francis
    or you can stop playing entirely, get up and conduct the choir and cong a cappella (as happened when the electricity failed mid hymn) ... we never lost a beat
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CharlesW
    or you can stop playing entirely, get up and conduct the choir and cong a cappella (as happened when the electricity failed mid hymn)

Been there and did the same.
  • Kathy
    Jackson:

"And a resounding final a cappella chorus whilst the organist recovers!"
  • ...as trashy as possible...

Charles, we know trash when we hear it, don't we?
    And, when trash is played trashily we are amused, right?

With regard to those who want to hear it, though, I suspect that all and any tremolos and chromatic slides, etc., will have the opposite effect from that which we intend.
    If we play it trashily they will think that we are playing it correctly. That will sound normal to them. That we are making fun of it would never occur to them. It's best to play it very, very straight and leach every last bit of junkiness out of it. (To the extent that that is possible.)
  • CharlesW
    Oh, I know. The worse it sounds the more they like it.
    I throw on the tremolo and make it sound as trashy as possible.

With the general level of music literacy in this country, that's what they think good music is.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesSA
    In my limited experience of organ lessons, I was told that it was good to solo out the melody with the right hand, and so to play the Alto and Tenor in the left hand and Bass on the pedal.

For my lessons, I learned each assigned hymn that way. However, I found that rather complicated, because that necessarily involves (unless one has access to an arrangment other than the usual TB in the left hand, SA in the right hand) three visuals for the mind to process: a) separating the S from the A, b) combining the T and the A across staffs (i.e. combining the top voice in the left hand with the bottom voice in the right hand), and of course c) separating the T from the B. I probably just didn't practice it enough, and I imagine that if that's the only way one ever practiced hymns, then one would get used to it. But in practice, after I left college and was an organist for two years, I never learned hymns in this way; I just did what my mind found easier to process (that is, just one visual to process): SA as written, and thus no separation to process, in the right hand, and T with the left hand/B in the pedal - making that the lone visual thing for my mind to process.

Obviously, the way I was taught (soloing out the right hand) leaves more opportunities with regard to a solo manual, and so if one can learn to do it that way, it seems profitable to do so! I suppose if I ever tried to become an organist at a cathedral or other "big-time" position, I would make more of an effort to do it, so that I could have more "fancy" options. At my previous location, though, I was content to simply have a "progression" of registrations, various ones which could be used for different verses of each hymn.
  • However, I found that rather complicated, because that necessarily involves (unless one has access to an arrangment other than the usual TB in the left hand, SA in the right hand) three visuals for the mind to process: a) separating the S from the A, b) combining the T and the A across staffs (i.e. combining the top voice in the left hand with the bottom voice in the right hand), and of course c) separating the T from the B.

Yes. Well-Put.

It was a fine technique for players whose playing is featured in Protestant services, where everything stops during the service for people to listen to the organ or as a florid way to introduce the tune of a hymn to a congregation who have never sung it before...or to play an alternate verses, ornamenting the melody.

But it is an ADVANCED technique, as you well have discovered. Bach and others did it AND WROTE OUT THE MUSIC for themselves and others.

This is part of the ELITISM of ORGANISTS SCHOOL of STUDY.

Rarely does a student have time and money to embark upon a career as an organist with a teacher who truly understands the requirements of a Catholic church position both technically and in terms of the repertoire needed by the organist. Flashy music or shoddy protestant hymn arrangements do not belong during the Mass.

The work we put into developing The Organist's Quarterly was finding the music, but more importantly, deciding which music belongs and which does not. Essentially we did not create a "blacklist" like the on in the mid 1900's, but rather create a "whitelist" of music to play and also be used by organists to judge other music in their library.

Is it suitable for the Mass? Is is suitable for prelude music for a Wedding? Many decisions.

Music in the Catholic church tends to be "bad" only because some many musicians have been able to hear and choose music that does belong in the Catholic church, especially those that are converts. Protestants that are not Lutheran can be guided by much of the music that Concordia publishes - some of which IS suitable for the Mass.

To get back on subject: It is useful of the teacher knows and understands what music is appropriate for Mass and how it is used - as well as the appropriate manners in which it may be played.

• CharlesW
    I was told to can the descants since they throw the congregation off. Soooo, being my devious self, I play the hymns straight and have the choir sing the descants.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    It always astonishes me that even organists can get so worked up about Bach. I'm trying to recall which Parisian it was that, forbidden to play actual pieces by JSB (Boëly labored under a similar prohibition), worked long quotations into improvisations. If that's the true Catholic spirit, so much the worse.

An 'advanced' approach would be to spend time on Peeters' Pd-Lh duets and work up to trios before trying 4 parts. But as I said above, as a beginner I used to find it easier to coordinate two left hand voices with pedal than tenor alone. Milage may vary.
  • CharlesW
    An 'advanced' approach would be to spend time on Peters' Pd-Lh duets and work up to trios before trying 4 parts. But as I said above, as a beginner I used to find it easier to coordinate two left hand voices with pedal than tenor alone. Milage may vary.

I found the same. It took a while before I could separate out that tenor voice.
  • dad29
    Major, famous organists in the classical style have said in workshops that they play everything in the hands and play the pedal, too.

My teacher was Sr. Theophane (Hytrek). I was taught SA TB and use the pedal to double B. Perhaps that's because I came from a piano background; perhaps because we were not shooting for an MA/Organ but rather for competency in hymn-accompaniment (it was the mid-late '60's and Sr T was not a "conservative" liturgically.)

It's also possible that she gave up trying to get me to do otherwise, of course.
    Thanked by 1SacredMusicLibrary
  • CharlesW
    If you have the manual coupled to the pedal, you probably wont hear that bass note when played on the manual. It will blend into the pedal note.
  • Major, famous organists in....

I do this, too. There are times, though, when SAT on a manul and B in pedal is a variation in itself. Anyone who wants to be considered a real organist will have mastered this as one of many ways of playing hymns. This is a fundamental. discipline. There is a certain academic clarity, cleanness, to four actual parts played in this manner. For some reason I tend to reserve this treatment for German chorales - which isn't to say that I don't, as well, give them the 'English treatment'... it depends on the gravitas a the given tune.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I have played OEW for a few funerals, but would never use it for Sunday masses. Families can ask for some of the weirdest things at funerals. I don't get upset enough to stop playing, but tend to do the opposite. I throw on the tremolo and make it sound as trashy as possible. I wonder if some of them are aware enough to realize I am making fun of them.

Now, that's not only tacky, but cruel.
  • Now, that's....

Personally, out of respect for the Lord's house, I wouldn't make it worse than it already is. But, as far as tacky and cruel goes, that doesn't hold a candle to expecting an organist to play it - in church, yet!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesSA
    Yes. Well-Put...It was a fine technique for players whose playing is featured in Protestant services, where everything stops during the service for people to listen to the organ or as a florid way to introduce the tune of a hymn to a congregation who have never sung it before...or to play an alternate verses, ornamenting the melody.
    Funny you mention this...because when I was being taught this (soloing out the soprano), for some reason I was thinking, this seems like a protestant idea, and wanting to show off the organ too much. I know, it's not all like that, but it's true that my teacher, who has a doctorate in organ, was/is a Protestant church organist, and is a Protestant himself. I don't know if I was thinking it was 'protestant' just because I knew he is a protestant or what, but in any case, I'm content to focus more on choral singing, and only using the organ as accompaniment, not finding out how many ways I can "spice things up", so to speak. I'm uncomfortable with learning fancy postludes, although I do it for bigger feast days. In times past, people might have been well-disposed to look upon such and to utilize such simply to move their minds ever more toward/in union with our Lord, while they're making their thanksgiving after Mass; but today, when good organists are rather rare in Catholic churches, it is probably more of a distraction than anything else. (Not to mention that pretty much no one stays to make a thanksgiving after Mass anymore anyway. At least in my [very limited] experience.)

I'm not a real organist, anyway, that is why I have my (probably weird) opinions about organ use at Mass. :)
  • CharlesW

Now, that's not only tacky, but cruel.

As I always say, if you want warm and friendly, get a dog. Sometimes, you get the music you deserve. LOL.
  • MarkS
    I must admit that I am a littler baffled by some of the above comments.

because when I was being taught this (soloing out the soprano), for some reason I was thinking, this seems like a protestant idea, and wanting to show off the organ too much.

I think this is a Catholic sort of stereotype of Protestant service music. The whole point of varying hymn playing is to encourage and enhance congregational singing, and to underline the text. It is never about 'showing off the organ' (except perhaps at St Sulpice!). It was not how I was taught, and it is not how it is done by the serious musicians I am familiar with who work in good Protestant music programs. To (badly) paraphrase frequent poster francis, 'do everything that enhances singing, do nothing that detracts from it'.

Of course, there is a different aesthetic in Catholic hymn singing; when I play at a Catholic service, I know to play much more quietly, so as not to 'drown out' the (non existent!) congregational singing. But I still use techniques like soloing out the melody, playing the melody in the tenor (maybe just with an 8' principal, accompanied by strings), varying the registrations, and using other allegedly 'Protestant' techniques (they are not) to enhance the hymn-singing experience, and folks who are used to vanilla hymn playing appreciate the difference.

shoddy protestant hymn arrangements

Are we equating 'shoddy' with Protestant? Or are shoddy Catholic hymn arrangements okay? Quite honestly, I hear more shoddy hymn arrangements, and shoddy hymn playing, at my local Catholic churches that I am likely to find in the local Protestant churches.

But, of course, established Protestant churches insist on hiring professionally trained musicians; not so our local Catholic parishes.

Thanked by 2Richard Mix CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Every place is different and congregations differ widely in what they are willing to do. My folks sing exceptionally well and seem to "raise the rafters" on hymns they like - "Laudate Dominum" is one they particularly love. I have mentioned before being asked to simplify and tone down descants, so I do. I will solo a melody line from time to time. The pastor loves full organ and has said, "play it louder - I love it," so that isn't a problem. I think you have to know your priest and congregation and adapt, but I wouldn't call good hymn singing, "Protestant."
    Thanked by 2MarkS CHGiffen
  • CharlesSA
    I must admit that I am a little baffled by some of the above comments.
    Mark, since that first quote of yours was from a comment of mine, I may as well respond. I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but maybe not; if not, here it is: I concede that my opinions could rightly be seen as rather eccentric/outright unpopular, because I tend to have purist and/or idealist opinions. Hence, when it comes to organ, I tend to say things that reflect this. So in this case, with regard to "being fancy" with the organ, I tend to view it as just unnecessary.

My opinions on music have, in a way, changed drastically in the past year, due to spending 11 months at a traditional, contemplative Benedictine monastery, and so my views are also heavily colored by that experience. Maybe I will "lighten up" a bit the further removed I am from that experience. :) though as of now, it's been less than a month. But until then, my current mindset is - chant completely satisfies me (and the more that is unaccompanied, the better); everything else, including (vernacular, non-chant) hymn-singing, organ (whether simply as accompaniment or solo), and everything else (polyphony or other sacred music), no matter how beautiful they may be (and I know there is a wealth of beautiful non-chant sacred music!), is just extra and - again, for me personally - not necessary, and even sometimes distracting.

So anyway, I just wanted to throw that out there, since you found one of my comments baffling. I understand that my opinions/what works for me/sets me up best for prayer and that all-important interior participation in the Liturgy, are not the same as most others, and I wouldn't say they should be imposed on everyone.

As a final comment, in the same vein, what I say about sacred music also tends to reflect a sort of resentment (one that I concede may be incorrect/irrational) on my part, that the development of polyphony, and the birth of the modern tonal system from there on, destroyed (most) peoples' ability to appreciate chant as it is, and indeed, also displaced chant from its rightful place in the Liturgy. So that would explain my not-so-positive comment about organ playing/hymns!
    Thanked by 1MarkS