Choir Loft and Recieving Communion
  • Our small, startup choir will be using the loft for the first time soon. We'll be singing the communion proper with no verses followed by a hymn. What's the best way to work this to make it possible for them to receive?
  • I'd ask for a priest to come to the loft and distribute. The GIRM states, at the end of paragraph 86, that "Care should be taken that singers, too, can receive Communion with ease." Sending a priest to the loft would be, in my opinion, the most appropriate way for this to be fulfilled.
  • At Walsingham (and this is very common amongst Episcopalians) the choir receive the sacrament first. They leave the gallery and go to the altar rail as a group. They then return to the gallery.
  • So would this work: sing the Agnus Dei, then I sing the proper while everyone else heads down to receive, then after the proper I get down as fast as I can to receive after them?
  • That would work.
  • IdeK
    When I, as a chorister, happened to sing in the choir loft, we received after Mass.

At Dublin Cathedral when I spent a month there (in 2012), if my memories don't deceive me, the choir was part of the entrance and recessional processions, and they sang otherwise in the choir loft. At Communion, they got down in reverse order of the processional order, i.e. the men first, then the boys, after they had finished singing and/or while the congregation sang a hymn (I don't remember). Then they stayed in the side aisles, standing, after Communion, to take part of the recessional procession in good order (boys first, then men). They were all vested in blue cassocks and all these processions were beautiful to see. The Introit (or was it an Entrance Hymn ?) was really impressive since they sang it while walking down the aisle just after the altar servers, and then got up to the loft, in good order and singing with the congregation.
  • CGM
    Probably the best thing is to talk to the pastor, and also the day's celebrant, about what they want to do, and set something up beforehand.
    1 — Sending a priest or deacon up to the loft is ideal.
    2 — Sending an Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist up to the loft may be more likely, if you don't have a lot of clergy at hand.
    3 — Descending to receive in "waves" (first the choir, and then the director) might work, but it's risky, because the second "wave" is very likely to get, um, stuck behind the regular congregation as it lines up / kneels down to receive.
    4 — Alternately, arrange that the whole choir (singers & director) will receive after Mass. With this protocol you get to do the most Communion music with your full musical forces — this can work well, as long as the priest or deacon will rendezvous with you at the tabernacle after Mass. I've had mixed success here — some priests love to do this, while others loathe the perceived inconvenience it causes them.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    The schola I sang with received after Mass. It was very efficient.
    Thanked by 1Steve Collins
  • CharlesW
    At one time, the choir processed down from the loft to the altar and received. Now, many are too old to handle the steep and winding loft stairs. One of the deacons brings communion to the loft.
  • Liam
    In the OF, effort should be made for the choir to receive Holy Communion during the Mass itself, as envisioned by the GIRM (that part of the GIRM is about the rite of Holy Communion during Mass, not outside of Mass).
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • CCoozeCCooze
    If it's an Agnus Dei that the entire congregation sings along with, I don't see why you couldn't ALL descend to receive whilst singing it (or, in actuality, start once down in the nave, and "process" whilst singing), in order to receive first after the servers; returning in time to sing together - if that is what you'd prefer.

This is what I remember most from the previous men's choir at our church.
  • canadashcanadash
    I have our tenors and basses sing the proper. The sopranos and altos receive communion. Then the sopranos and altos sing a hymn and the tenors and basses receive. We are in a very large parish, so there is lots of time.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    What we always did (EF) was, everyone came down right after the Agnus Dei and knelt in the side aisle. Then went up once the priest was about to approach the communion rail. When we got back to the loft, we then sang the proper antiphon, with or without verses, followed by anything else, and lastly organ improvisation.
  • ViolaViola
    We sing the Communion antiphon, then go downstairs to receive at the back of the church, there are always a couple of EM persons there. It takes them as long to get to the back as it does for us to get downstairs and receive before the congregation. Meanwhile the organist improvises until we get back up. He is not RC so doesn't mind.
  • Sing the antiphon, have the organist improvise on the antiphon and turn it into the hymn introduction when the choir returns.
    Thanked by 1MarkS
  • tomjaw
    I think the best thing is to go down after singing the Agnus Dei, and having the organist improvise until the choir gets back. Priests wandering around with the Blessed Sacrament and with no server with a bell is really irritating.

Communion after Mass is a good idea and traditional!
  • CharlesW
    Choirs are evil and wicked, so shouldn't be receiving communion.
    Is outrage!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • (Charles uses purple to conceal the reformers he's been channeling recently?)
  • PaxMelodious
    I'd ask for a priest to come to the loft and distribute.

How many people regularly attend Masses at which there are spare priests who could be dispatched in such a way? In the last three years, I think I've been at one such event. Before that, I cannot remember the last time.
  • CharlesW
    (Charles uses purple to conceal the reformers he's been channeling recently?)

I think the last real reformer in my church was St. John Chrysostom.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    There is no concealing when CharlesW is channeling the extremely conservative Orthodox advice columnist "Father Vasiliy". And since we are talking about procedural matters for choirs, here is a recent post from him about what choirs are to do and What They Are To Not Do.

https://theoniondome.com/2017/07/24/ask-father-vasiliy-12/

Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen WGS
  • Jeffrey Quick
    What we do:
    Choir goes down to receive immediately after the Agnus. I (and any not receiving) do the communion antiphon with one verse. By that time, the schola is back up, and we do our motet.

I've seen afterwards work too.

My previous OF gig had an EMHC in the loft. As soon as the motet was done, there'd be the distribution. It always seemed chaotic and irreverent to me; YMMV.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    How many people regularly attend Masses at which there are spare priests who could be dispatched in such a way?

Our Sunday EF Mass, always has one priest sometimes two in the confessionals, and one of them always comes out to help with the distribution of Blessed Sacrament. This is EF so no EMHC, and anyway our NO Parish does not have any EMHCs!
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • CharlesW may someday have a drone programmed to arrive in the loft, programmed to recognize and hover at the proper level for each member to receive - standing, kneeling or somewhere-in-between.
  • SacredMusicLibrary,

When he accomplishes this, he will have an invalid Mass, because he will have an automaton "consecrate" the Eucharist
  • CharlesW
    Now that we have a younger priest who can climb stairs, we usually get a priest who comes to the choir loft. Occasionally a deacon if one of the priests is away. We have done away with extraordinary ministers. No drones and we are not moving the choir to the front, but staying in the loft.
  • SalieriSalieri
    What my choir does is this:

Whole choir sings Communion Chant with verses (from Fr. Weber, usually setting II), doing two verses of the psalm between repetitions of the Antiphon, while the priest and servers receive.

Then, if there is no anthem, but only hymn(s), the choristers (and some younger adults) go down to receive -- I have told them that they should be polite, but not nice: they should cut in line if they can -- while most adults remain in the loft for the hymn (in Polish).

After the [Polish] Hymn, the choristers have returned, and those adults that have remained in the Loft receive form an EMHC that has arrived, And we begin a hymn in English.

If we sing an Anthem/Motet, we do that immediately after the Communion Chant -- which may or may not have verses depending on the length of the Anthem and the number of people at Mass. The rest as above.
  • mmeladirectress
    >> We have done away with extraordinary ministers

Charles W, you have made my day. Thanks ! ! !
    Thanked by 2CCooze CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Until a couple of years ago, we were in a unique situation. The pastor was elderly and could barely walk without a walker. The associate was overworked and ministers were used. We now have deacons, a young associate, and a younger pastor - not that young, but in good shape physically. The associate comes to every mass to assist with communion and there is usually at least one deacon present. We don't need those ministers any longer.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • CCoozeCCooze
    We don't need...

If only that were reason enough (which it is)!
    Sometimes I think that priests are worried about hurting the feelings of those long-time EMsHC.

Also, I keep my music. Not because I'm forgetful or anything, and it isn't out of order, as I have a 3-ring binder with A-Z dividers, and I keep my propers in the front. I just don't like having to move music around multiple times per week, when I could simply turn to exactly where I know each motet is located..

--------

This past Midnight Mass for Christmas I was playing an oboe solo, with the organ, of Jesu Bambino. Just as I had finished the 2nd full phrase, the music stand went crashing down and my music went flying everywhere. If I hadn't been so shocked, I probably would have played on from memory. Since the plan had been to skip the 2nd verse, I got it all back together in time to come in at the last "Venite Adoremus" and to finish the piece.
    My mother (who was sitting with my kids) mentioned that she thought I played less than normal (but hey, the last time she'd heard it was a year or so before), but that it all still made musical sense, and that she hadn't heard the crash.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    a few years back, I had the tuner in Christmas week to get the organ in tip-top shape. A cardinal would be offering the Midnight Mass so I wanted things to go well. On the last verse of "O Come, All Ye Faithful" I brought the trumpet on and heard the most raucous, grating sound ever heard by human ear. No more trumpet for the evening. My postlude, "Festive Trumpet Tune" by David German, was a lost cause - no trumpet, no trumpet tune. It turned out when I called the tuner back in - you can't get them Christmas day - a reed had slipped out of place in a pipe in the octave from mid-"C" up, where you do most of your playing anyway. No one said anything, but I wasn't happy.
  • francis
    We have done away with extraordinary ministers
    Now only if Rome will follow suit
  • francis
    Charles you need to learn to tune your reeds... it's not difficult

unless… You can't get past the framework that allows you into the pedal chamber, which happened to me in my last position with the Pasi... The joke was on me, Martin, who is a really slim dude
  • CharlesW
    It wasn't a matter of tuning, but taking the pipe apart and repositioning the reed. It had slipped and was sideways inside the pipe. It could be tuned after re-seating the reed. To get to that trumpet rank, you have to go into the swell chamber, have someone turn the power off to deflate the bellows, and crawl across the top of the bellows on your back. Then you can tune or whatever, then turn the power off and come back across the bellows to get out. At Midnight Mass, I didn't even want to attempt it.