• canadashcanadash
    I'm helping run a short (three day) chant camp in a neighbouring parish. If anyone has any ideas, thoughts, suggestion, anything at all to share, I would be very happy to hear or read about it!
  • Kathy
    Here is some stuff http://www.chantcafe.com/2017/06/teaching-little-children-to-sing-k-1st.html

Best wishes! I truly believe this is the "silver bullet!"
  • Excellent link, Kathy.
    Chock full of superb advice for reaching younger children.
    I especially like item number nine - no piano!
    Thanked by 3Kathy canadash Vilyanor
  • MatthewRoth
    David Hughes generally avoids it as well.
    Thanked by 2canadash Kathy
  • canadashcanadash
    A prayer thrown my way tomorrow would be much appreciated. I don't have much experience with children except my own.
  • It's probably too late on this thread to be helpful to you, but I have a handout of sample schedules and activities if you'd like it. Send me a note at jennifer.donelson@archny.org if so. I will pray for you and the children! Our Lady guide you!
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • So... how did it go???
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • canadashcanadash
    Thank you for asking! It was GREAT! Who here was praying? Great job. I'll make sure to ask you again when I need you!

There were about 20 children. It was not too overwhelming that way. I wanted the older children to get used to reading the chant and getting a basic grasp of solfege. They have some familiarity with chanting hymns and the ordinary. I do think they were understanding how things fit together. They were all quite interested, and if they weren't they were quiet.

One little girls declared that she loved chant camp and it should go on for eight more days! lol!

I tried to upload a file, but I can't figure it out. I did upload something to my fb page.

Thanks for your support and prayers. Jenny, I've been asked to do it again next year, so I would love your help. I'll pm you!
  • This is fantastic news! I'm so glad that it went well... (we knew you could do it).
    Thanked by 2Kathy canadash