The Liber Hymnarius and The Antiphonale Romanum II
  • graduale
    How do each of these books relate to the OF LOTH? Are the LH and AR2 (Artoo!) both two different installments of the same Antiphonale? How are each of the books used, and what do they accomplish differently from each other?

And is the "II" in the title of AR2 to signify that it is volume two of the 20th century Solesmes AR or something else?

As I understand it, the LH contains all of the hymns (and responsories?) that one might ever need for the present OF LOTH celebrated in Latin...whereas the AR2 (Vesperale) plus the forthcoming AR volumes contain all the chants for the modern Latin day office...presumably with plenty of duplicates between the two volumes. How far off does that sound?

Many thanks and happy Sunday!!

Grad
  • a_f_hawkins
    There is a fairly full description here.
  • graduale
    Wonderful, thank you! With that, what would one use the LH for, if everything you need for the Roman Office is in the AR2 (Vespers only, at the moment)?
  • quilisma
    If you are just doing Sunday (and Solemnities, etc.) Vespers then the AR2 is all you need. The LH could help you if you are doing other things - such as Invitatories. I do not own a copy but have so far managed to find all the material I need elsewhere. You can usually find the hymn texts (e.g. http://kpshaw.blogspot.fr/) separate from the melodies. It's just a bit of work to put them together after and the melody is often from the Antiphonale Monasticum 1934.