New Orleans: Archdiocesan Hymn Contest
  • chonakchonak
    The Archdiocese of New Orleans has asked us to share news of a hymnwriting competition which seeks an original metrical hymn (text) to be sung in celebrations of the tricentennial of the city. A letter from Archbishop Aymond is below, along with specifications for the competition. The hymnwriter whose work is selected will receive a payment of $750.00. The deadline for receipt of submissions is October 1, 2017.
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • This sounds like a job for Kathy or Adam.
  • Kathy
    What rhymes with "Big Easy?"
  • Kathy
    Let the good times roll
    For the good of your soul
    And keep on reaching hiya
    With the help of jambalaya
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    What rhymes with "Big Easy?" ... perhaps (the Bishop of) "Brindisi."
    ... or the game of "Parchesi."
    ... but this is "So cheesy."
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • O God, and Jackson, keep us well;
    Our Lady, do thy part.
    Keep back the raging force of Hell
    disperse th'encroaching dark.

Big Easy is one name we hold
    near to our bursting heart.
    Our soul, our Mardi gras (be bold!)
    shall for here ne'er depart.
    Thanked by 2Incardination Carol
  • chonakchonak
    Our city built within a bowl
    is often prone to flood
    but build no berm around thy soul:
    receive the gift of God.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • melofluentmelofluent
    to Hyfrydol-

Jambalaya, Muffaletta, sweet Begnets oft so we crave;
    Louis Armstrong, Harry Connick, old Fats Waller, Bourbon Street knave!
    From the ninth ward to the graveyards, dark botanicas, floodwalls that save
    Whether I'm walkin' or crawlin' to Naw---lins, sweet fair city we sing thy praise.
    Thanked by 2Incardination Carol
  • Kathy
    Btw, someone recently pointed out (here?) that O When the Saints takes its first phrase from the In Paradisum.

You are welcome, for the earworm :)
  • Liam
    Ah, I see people are kibitzing. So I would add that I thought the choice of tunes a bit odd. Good to have a number of meters and someone had the good sense to be sure to have mix of things other than just iambic meters (though English hymn texts seem to favor iambs or, too much lately, metrical feet favoring waltzes or jigs). Nothing, however, struck me as particularly flavorful of the area or its Catholic history - seems rather northern Methodist overall, from back when Methodists rivaled Lutherans for congregational singing. Only a couple of triple meterish tunes.

I wonder if ASSURANCE is actually sung in the area by Catholic congregations (it's quite a dare to take on Fanny Crosby).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Just received this e-mail from Betty-Ann M. Hinckley, the Archdiocese's Associate Director of the Office of Worship:
    The Archdiocese of New Orleans is excited to introduce the winning Tricentennial hymn, Thanks Be to God. Set to the hymn tune NETTLETON, Thanks Be to God is a song of praise and gratitude that celebrates the history of the City of New Orleans and looks forward to a bright and hope-filled future. The hymn was written by James Behan, Jr., a parishioner at Mary, Queen of Peace, in Mandeville, Louisiana, and was among over forty submissions a committee of judges considered.

(NB--I was one of those 40+ submissions.)
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • Liam
    Start sharpening pens for a hymn for the national semiquincentenary in 2026 if there's an international Catholic congress of some sort for the USA to host that year.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr4875

http://www.usa250.org/commission/
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • Liam,

I can't think of the tune name, right now, but surely the text "Eternal Father, strong to save..." is appropriate for our country at this point?
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • Or maybe "Thank God I'm a Country Boy"...
  • KyleM18
    @Chris: The tune is MELITA, but I always just call it "Navy Hymn".

I'm more of the mind of O God of Earth and Altar, set to KINGS LYNN.
  • Start sharpening pens

Using quills? :D

Thanked by 1Liam
  • a_f_hawkins
    Somewhere in this course From Ink to Sound there are instructions on making your own quill pen. They say trying transcribing the music with a quill can help understand the neumes. I have not tried it yet.
    Thanked by 1Liam