EF polyphonic Agnus Dei - when must it end?
  • stulte
    I've been searching for a answer regarding whether a polyphonic Agnus Dei in the EF must end before the priest turns around and says, "Ecce Agnus Dei". I've attended Masses where the polyphony ends before this. I've also seen where the priest says the Ecce while the polyphony continues into Communion. Can someone point me to any authoritative documentation regarding which practice is correct (or if both are permissible)? Thank you.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I've never been in a liturgical polyphony performance where it's been an issue. The priests in the D. of Cleveland wait for the Agnus to be done, and move on. Folks generally sing the 2nd Agnus in chant, if they're singing polyphony, for contrast and to keep things moving.

It seems to me that either you've got to put the brakes on in the middle of the polyphony (which is unaesthetic and graceless, and how do you end with the Dona nobis?), Or you work out musical timing with the specific priest ("You need to find an Agnus that is 2:26 long.")

"Authoritative source" suggests that it's your priest who has an issue. Has anyone else had such an issue with a priest?
  • tomjaw
    Unless you have a Pontifical High Mass, most Polyphonic Agnus Dei will be too long, the visiting (paid) choir does either Chant, Poly.,Chant OR Chant, Chant, Poly. and is usually finished in time.

When we sing we always do Poly., Chant, Poly. If we take too long the priest has to wait, not that we have had any complaints. The same works with the Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus and Benedictus, the Priest has to wait until we are finished.

I have noticed some priests slowing down their actions so they can listen to the music.

I have looked in the Ritus servandus, and I cannot see any instructions... Fortescue?
  • MatthewRoth
    I have served as MC, and I listen to the music. My experience is that the priest usually won’t listen, which is difficult, because stopping before the consecration gets drilled into you, whereas this practice varies. At this point in the Mass, it’s hard to communicate with him. Even telling him to wait because we’re not all quite in place and kneeling for the Ecce Agnus Dei is a pain.

I have seen priests wait, and I have also seen them direct the deacon to recite the Confiteor. In both cases, the Agnus Dei was still being sung. I know which I prefer–the former– but I have yet to find a conclusive document, preferably one issued before the 1950s...
  • Mass should not be un-necessarily prolonged or completed hastily. Surely communication between priest and choirmaster can solve the exact notion of timing?
  • dad29
    deacon to recite the Confiteor.

Well, THAT part is definitively wrong, and all you have to do is look at the 1962 Rite's Ordo. You will not find a "confiteor" in the red letters before the Communion of the Faithful. St John Cantius uses the 'third confiteor' and makes no excuse for being wrong--they're just going to do it their way. (Suspiciously like OF deviants, no?)

In the olden days (before 1962) the informal rule was that the choir NEVER made the priest wait for anything, period. But in those days, there were 6 Masses every Sunday morning (and the last one could not start after noon hour.) So ....ya know....parking lot or not, time was precious.
  • Actually, there is a Confiteor sung by the Deacon before the communion of the faithful in the 1962 Roman Missal. It's in the rubrics for Solemn High Masses.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    You will not find a "confiteor" in the red letters before the Communion of the Faithful.

For Solemn High Masses you will... it is also in the latest edition of the Pontificale. Yes I agree it may have been intended for it also to be omitted from these books but it was not done... Oh and do remind me of the reference of the suppression of the 3rd Confiteor, I keep forgetting.

choir NEVER made the priest wait for anything, period

In the TLM the priest has to wait for the choir to finish the Gloria and the Credo, as all the chant settings take longer than the time needed by the priest to read the text. At Solemn Masses he has to wait for the Sub deacon to chant the Epistle, and the Deacon to Chant the Gospel. etc.

I do agree that the choir director should carefully choose the music to make sure that it does not unduly increase the length of the Mass.
  • dad29
    Point taken, thanks!!

It's called the 'third' because during the prayers at the foot of the altar, the priest says one, the altar boys say the second....

According to a highly-respected liturgical historian, the 'third Confiteor' and the accompanying shriving was installed for the benefit of "daily communicants," members of the faithful who showed up 30 minutes after Mass began just to receive Communion. (Weekdays only, usually the very first Mass of the day.)

You'll note that the regs for the OF changed that: one may not receive Communion unless one is present for the whole Mass. That was a direct reaction to "daily communicants."
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • stulte
    "Authoritative source" suggests that it's your priest who has an issue. Has anyone else had such an issue with a priest?

The issue is not with the priest at all. To clarify, the mixed choir currently sings Agnus Dei 1 without either repeating it or chanting the 2nd instance of Agnus Dei...miserere nobis and moves right into the Agnus Dei 2...dona nobis pacem. The reasons being put forward are that repeating the Agnus Dei 1 in polyphony would take too long and that singing it one time suffices to cover both instances of Agnus Dei...miserere nobis. I can see somewhat the logic behind the first reason, but not the second.

The pastor (who was assigned last year) has NOT been part of any discussions I've had on this topic and is very supportive of good sacred music. My relationship with the director of the mixed choir (I direct the men's schola) is very good and we've sung together for years. So, before I make the argument that only singing Agnus Dei 1 once in a polyphonic Mass setting before moving onto the Agnus Dei 2 is insufficient, I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row.
  • chonakchonak
    At colloquium Masses, it's not unusual for us to sing a sandwich of poly-chant-poly.
  • chonakchonak
    dad29 wrote:
    You'll note that the regs for the OF changed that: one may not receive Communion unless one is present for the whole Mass.

Do you have any particulars about this?

There is a rule like it, which applies to people who wish to receive the sacrament a second time in the day.

• PaxTecum
    dad29: (& chonak)
    You'll note that the regs for the OF changed that: one may not receive Communion unless one is present for the whole Mass.

A priest once told us this, with the exception that if you are late for reasons other than your own doing. ie: on a pilgrimage and bus driver got lost, or something like that.
  • chonakchonak
    I've heard it said also, but I don't believe that the claim is correct in the particular form stated above, and for one simple reason.

Canon 917 places this restriction on people who wish to receive Communion for a second time in the day. We know that. It's documented. But that canon would be redundant if there were already another provision placing the same restriction on receiving Communion at any Mass.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think I recall a Colloquium Mass with a particularly long Agnus Dei where the celebrant turned and began the Ecce Agnus Dei with the threefold congregational response while the choir continued singing. I'm not sure how this works with the rubrics, but obviously in the EF there is a lot of overlapping between singing and speaking.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I realize that this will be supremely unhelpful to the O.P., but when I read the title of this thread, my initial thought was "at the heavy double-bar".

The few times I've attended polyphonic Masses in the E.F. my experience, as best as I can recall, supports what Meloche says above.
  • dad29
    @chonak:

I suppose that it eventuated from this graf in SC:

56. The two parts which, in a certain sense, go to make up the Mass, namely, the liturgy of the word and the eucharistic liturgy, are so closely connected with each other that they form but one single act of worship. Accordingly this sacred Synod strongly urges pastors of souls that, when instructing the faithful, they insistently teach them to take their part in the entire Mass, especially on Sundays and feasts of obligation.

I've never seen anything in print/pixels which formulates the above as a 'rule,' but then I don't have access to Notitiae (etc., etc.)
  • MatthewRoth
    Chonak is right, because you may receive the sacraments at any appropriate time, provided that you are disposed. For the eucharist, this means keeping the fast and being free from mortal sin. But, since it is possible to go regularly, there are restrictions on its reception a second time. It used to be that the second Mass had to be different in kind and usually that you had to be serving or be involved, e.g. the couple at a Nuptial Mass.

The Mass in question at the Colloquium would have been during the Requiem Mass at the cathedral in Pittsburgh, when the setting by Fauré was sung. That year, the Masses were more closely aligned to the rubrics of the Pontificale Romanum, even to the point of the sacrament being on another altar...

Besides, 1962 is barely observed anyways...and to be traditional is not exactly the same as novel liturgical abuse.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I don't have Fortesque in front of me, but I know our Pastor refers to it. When we have polyphonic "Agnues Dei", the people's (altar servers') "Domine non sum dignus" is done under the music. The congregation is not technically required to recite it.

I've also noticed that quite often the movement of the Faure' "Agnus Dei" into the "Lux aeterna" happens just as the priest turns to the congregation for it. That's how good Faure's timing was.
  • MatthewRoth
    I think that the recitation of the “Domine, non sum dignus“ is an organic development, but it is technically still said by the celebrant alone. The server at my parish even rings the bells at this point, which came about IIRC through the unique rubrics given in the red books.

Oh, that’s not because Fauré had good timing for the congregation. Fauré correctly timed the recitation of the prayers before the priest’s communion, his communion, and the beginning of the ablutions. General Communion was not practiced in his day at the Requiem Mass. Indeed, while exposing people to complete polyphonic Masses of the traditional repertoire is laudable, keep in mind that in fact most Solemn High Masses were likely not to have a general communion of the faithful.
  • dad29
    because you may receive the sacraments at any appropriate time

Not so fast, grasshopper. While the Church has clear preferences such as the one quoted above, the Church also makes exceptions based on common sense. Of COURSE one may 'receive the sacraments' at 'any appropriate time'--if one cannot receive them at the time (or place) that the Church prescribes.

Making exceptions into rules is how all the liturgical revolutionaries work.
  • Liam
    "Making exceptions into rules is how all the liturgical revolutionaries work."

Well, it's also a difference in mindset about law in the Romanosphere vs Anglosphere. The former accommodates the idea that there non-compliance can be excused/permitted without changing the law; the latter not as much, and tends to treat exceptions more as part of the law. Multiculturalism in the Church....
  • chonakchonak
    SC 56 is probably aiming to correct some neglectful practice. Were there perhaps people who came to Mass as late as possible or left as early as possible?
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • MatthewRoth
    That’s only half–true, Liam: Edward Peters regularly reminds his readers that the Legislator ought to issue far more legislation than he does. The Roman church may be flexible, but that doesn’t excuse much of the conflict between law and practice.
  • dad29
    Were there perhaps people who came to Mass as late as possible or left as early as possible?

Yes, of two classes. The first (the not-very-good guys) observed the rule that 'the essential' parts of the Mass were the Offertory, Canon, and Communion. They showed up just in time for the 'Dominus Vobiscum' of the Offertory and skedaddled as soon as the priest gave communion to the altar boys.

The second was the 'good guys' bunch who ON WEEKDAYS showed up for Communion only, (so about 25 minutes after low-Mass started.) They were called "daily communicants," and were motivated not to minimize their time with God, but from the other end, so to speak: to maximize their communion with Christ even though their schedule did not permit full-Mass attendance.

Both were abuses which occasioned N. 56 above, I suspect.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Palestrina
    It is important to remember that the EF Agnus Dei settings were composed at a time when the Communion of the Faithful did not take place (by and large) during Mass. In fact, if you look in the Altar Missal, you'll find the rubrics for this are conspicuously absent.

What does this mean?

Historically, we know that the Agnus Dei must have lasted from, well... the 'Agnus Dei', until after the ablutions. There was no need for a 'break' for 'Ecce Agnus Dei' (etc); this was part of the rite of Communion outside of Mass. This probably explains how the Communio and its psalm were whittled down to a mere antiphon as well - with no Communion procession, there was no need for a psalm (even a 'token' one, as we see in the Introit).

So what to do about the EF 'Agnus Dei'? In my opinion, if it's too long, find a way of shortening it. In the case of the Palestrina/Victoria (etc) settings, perhaps take EITHER Agnus Dei I or Agnus Dei II and supply the others in plainchant. This approach ensures that the liturgy is not delayed or disrupted unduly.

Pius X (who reinstated the Communion of the Faithful during Mass) said music was the 'handmaid of the liturgy'. The lengthy Renaissance settings were 'handmaids' until the Communion of the Faithful made a comeback - and with that liturgical change, need to be reworked to meet "new" needs.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • dad29
    music was the 'handmaid of the liturgy'

Greater minds than mine can reconcile that with VII's remark that 'music is an integral part of the liturgy.'
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    The second way of receiving Communion, by showing up during the Canon and leaving after a short thanksgiving, isn’t an abuse per se. The church law still allows for it. Is it encouraged? No, or at least it should not be encouraged. But to call it an abuse is misleading. I would argue that the first isn’t either, so long as one goes to an entire Mass when obliged.