Veni Sancte Spiritus, reple...congregasti (m.8 ant.)
  • OlivierOlivier
    In the Liber Brevior's appendix (and in other Solesmes books), just after the Te Deum and under the heading "Invocation to the Holy Ghost" one can find the office hymn "Veni Creator Spiritus." But just before this will be found a mode 8 antiphon with this text:
    Veni Sancte Spiritus, reple tuorum corda fidelium, et tui amoris in eis ignem accende:
    qui per diversitatem linguarum cunctarum, gentes in unitate fidei congregasti.
    The text of the first half is the same as that of the 2nd alleluia for the mass of Pentecost.

On what occasions would this antiphon be chanted?
  • tomjaw
    Is this for Confirmations?
  • rarty
    In English, "Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of thy faithful...", this is a common prayer before sermons, lessons, catechism, retreats, etc. I know at least some religious houses sing the antiphon before times of meditation/lectio divina.

Veni Sancte Spiritus is also included in the appendix to the Vatican edition antiphonal (1912), and it is assigned as the antiphon at the Magnificat on First Vespers of Pentecost in the new Antiphonale Romanum (2009).
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    The Processionale Monasticum (1893) gives its version of this antiphon under the heading and description:

TEMPORE CAPITULI GENERALIS.

Prima die dicitur primo Hymnus Veni Creátor, ut supra, 89. Reliquis vero diebus ejus loco dicitur Antiphona sequens.

Which is interesting.

However, more relevantly, Cantus Selecti (1957) gives this under its header for things that might be sung "IN DIE PENTECOSTES." That is, you might sing it on Pentecost as a votive chant at benediction (in the time between O Salutaris and Tantum Ergo), and follow it with the appropriate Vs. / R. and collect.

I think this is more what the Liber Usualis or Liber Brevior have in mind.

On a side note: I am including a section just like what the Liber Usualis has (containing the hymn, the antiphon, the Vs. / R., and also the collect) in a book of devotional chants for the laity which I am perpetually working on.

[Thanks to @rarty for mentioning the Vatican edition Antiphonale 1912. I would add that the reason the Processionale Monasticum I have linked has slight differences in the melody is of course that it pre-dates this.]
    Thanked by 1Olivier
  • a_f_hawkins
    The first half is certainly common, but the second part focuses on diversity of language and unity of faith. So, when particularly would you want to do that? I suppose a General Chapter is one likely occasion. LU62 appendix 1 p1837 gives no clue beyond the heading 'Invocation of the Holy Spirit', and then moves on to 'Procession to beg for rain'