Motet for men's choir by native Mexican composer?
  • -b
    New to this forum, I am overwhelmed by the knowledge base represented here.
    So a challenge:
    I am charged with planning a diocesan mass for Men's Choir on Saturday, July 22, Feast of Mary Magdalene. Since I have invited a few interested men of our Spanish Mass choir to join us for this, I would love to offer them the chance to study a piece from the repertory of native Mexican composers who wrote in the Renaissance style.
    Francisco Lopez-Capillas is a perfect fit with the "Alleluia, Dic Nobis, Maria" except that it's SATB. I am thinking of transposing it down a third.
    Or??
  • -B,

I don't know the Mexican composers at all, so I look forward to seeing the responses from others hereabouts.

In regard to the "problem" of being set for SATB: I can see several "solutions", but I will certainly yield to the better knowledge of others as it emerges. If the choir has counter-tenors, music written for "SATB" may be singable by men alone. One example of this is the Kings' Singers. Another option is to add boys voices to the Men, and have them sing the piece(s).

Sometimes, now that I think of it, a piece written for SATB can be adapted for TTTB or ATTB or some other permutation.

• Jeffrey Quick
    Does anyone out there have any motets by Julián Zúñiga?