Wedding Entrance Chant question
  • Music_Miss
    Hi all,

I am trying to clean up the wedding planning process at my parish and I've hit a question I'm not sure about. With the newly revised Order of Celebrating Matrimony, it says an "entrance chant" must be sung even if there is an instrumental procession. Is that for all weddings, or only for weddings within Mass?

Thanks!
  • Marc Cerisier
    We've stopped offering the option of an instrumental processional at our weddings (inside or outside mass). So far, it's been fine.
    Thanked by 1Music_Miss
  • We allow the instrument procession but once the bride reaches the front we go immediately into the entrance chant, both within and outside of Mass.
    Thanked by 1Music_Miss
  • lmassery
    I do the same as OrganistRob. As soon as procession reaches front, I transition into an antiphon in the same key as the priest venerates the altar.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Our entrance chant / priestly (+groom) processional in the OF takes place after the seating of the mothers, but before the bridal procession. The entrance chant happens during the priest's procession.
    It is done, whether or not there is a Mass for the wedding.
  • Marc Cerisier
    So you let them have separate processions? Not just one liturgical procession?
  • For my own wedding 7 years ago (OF), I had the entrance chant sung as the priests and servers processed in, then switched to different music for the bridal party and bride (If Ye Love Me and Ave Maria...all of it was sung). I also made sure that the congregation stood for the priest.
    Although nothing is set at our diocese or parishes right now, whenever I am doing a wedding, I make the same recommendation. Occasionally people allow me to chant the Introit! I'm hoping that our diocese will start encouraging this since it is a good time with the new rite!
    Thanked by 1CCooze