Text for Palestrina's "Viri Galilei"
  • monscarmelimonscarmeli
    I notice that the text for Palestrina's motet "Viri Galilei" is not the same as the introit for Ascension. Was the introit different in his day, or was the motet for another liturgical purpose? I've not found anything conclusive on this, would appreciate any help, thanks!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It's a setting of the First Antiphon at Second Vespers of Ascension, not the Introit at Mass. The Secunda pars is the Offertory of the Mass on Ascension Day.
  • monscarmelimonscarmeli
    Thank you, and I guess I did see the connection with those separate texts - so that made me wonder just what it would've been used for. In the sense that, if he was writing something to be used as an introit, why didn't he simply use the introit text? Maybe this is just one of history's mysteries...?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    It would have been used at Vespers, instead of the Chant setting. I have just got back from Vespers where we sang this (chant melody).
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It might be possible for the secunda pars, Ascendit Deus, to be used (or even intended by Palestrina to be used) in place of the chanted Versicle and Response before the Magnificat at Second Vespers of Ascension (the text is the same).

Thanked by 1monscarmeli
  • MatthewRoth
    One wonders if that is so. Nowadays, I think that one would chant that, even in an HIP, because we simply don’t know know enough to say that was the intention of Palestrina.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    I think we all know Palestrina's intention was to be the most boss composer in the history of Western Music.
    Thanked by 2matthewj monscarmeli
  • monscarmelimonscarmeli
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and humor! Blessed Ascensiontide!
  • Jeffrey Quick
    From our modern viewpoint, we're always surprised that so much of the "installed base" of polyphony is for the Office. It was a whole different cultural ecology then.
    Thanked by 1monscarmeli
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Polyphony and the Office should be more of a thing nowadays.

Then again, the Office should be more of a thing period.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen monscarmeli