ASCENSION LITURGIES: MMXVII
  • The Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham
    Houston

Solemn High Mass
    6.30pm

(All three readings were sung.)

Organ Voluntary - on Viri Galilaei - - - Improvisation

At the Entrance - Hymn: 'The Head that Once was Crowned with Thorns' - - - St Magnus
    Vidi Aquam - - - Chant, T. Norris
    The Introit - Viri Galilaei - - - Mode VIII (Palmer-Burgess)

Kyrie - Communion Service in F - - - Herbert Sumison
    Gloria - Mass of St. Mary Magdalene - - - Healey Willan

Psalm XLVII - Omnes gentes plaudite - - - Chant, Henry George Ley
    Alleluya and Verse - Ascendit Deus and Dominus in Sina - - - After Palestrina

The Nicene Creed - - - Recto tono, with organ embellishments
    The Universal Prayers - - - Byzantine Chant

At the Offertory -
    The Antiphon - Ascendit Deus - - - Mode I (P-B)
    Anthem - 'O Clap Your Hands' - - - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Sanctus - Communion Service in F - - - Herbert Sumison
    The Our Father - - - Mode VII
    Agnus Dei - Communion Service in F - - - Herbert Sumison

At the Communion -
    The Antiphon - Data est mihi - - - Tone I (Anglican Use Gradual)
    Motet - Ascendit Deus in Iubilatione - - - Peter Philips
    Hymn - 'Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence' - - - Picardy

At the Dismissal - Hymn: 'Hail the Day that Sees Him Rise' - - - Llanfair
    Organ Voluntary - Toccata Festiva in Ascensionem Domini - - - Improvisation

Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • Can it be that churches of the Ordinariate were the only ones celebrating the Ascension of Our Lord? Surely not!
  • tomjaw
    Sorry, we also had a sung Mass at 12.30.

St. Bede's Clapham Park, EF Mass
    All Propers, from the Graduale Romanum 1924
    Ordinary, Mass II
    Credo I
    Offertory 'motet', Aeternae Rex Altissime (Dominican melody)
    Com. 'motet', Optatus votis omnium (Roman melody)
    Marian Anthem, Regina Caeli Solemn tone.

Another EF Mass was sung in the evening at another Church in London. Also advertised were a further 7 EF Sung Masses in England. The OF have been told to celebrate on Sunday, sadly for them the Lord went up to Heaven on Thursday.
  • DL
    You may take your pick from the following:

Thursday (EF)
    Gregorian propers;
    Tallis à 4 (isn't the Creed lovely?); Palestrina, O Rex gloriae;
    Regina caeli.

Saturday (Divine Worship, kept as an external solemnity)
    Gregorian propers;
    Palestrina, Missa Viri Galilaei;
    offertory hymn, Hail the day that sees Him rise, T. Llanfair;
    Croft, God is gone u,p at Communion;
    Regina caeli.

Sunday (OF, Parish Mass; First Communions)
    Hymn sandwich (I Hail the day, O Alleluya, sing to Jesus, T. Hyfrydol - Hydrofoil, as a friend calls it; Rec Immaculate Mary);
    Vidi aquam (Latin);
    Hassler, Missa secunda (K, G, S, B, A); Croft, God is gone up (again, but different choir) at Communion;
    Regina caeli (simple tone).

Holy Rood, Oxford.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CHGiffen
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Can it be that churches of the Ordinariate were the only ones celebrating the Ascension of Our Lord?

As an aside - I find it slightly irritating when trads make fun of "OF people" for not celebrating Ascension Thursday when their EF parishes still celebrate the 'external solemnity' on the Sunday following. That's still cheating.
  • ViolaViola
    "The OF have been told to celebrate on Sunday, sadly for them the Lord went up to Heaven on Thursday."
    Not in Scotland! The Ascension is on Thursday here.
  • CharlesW
    Because the lady who normally plays weddings for me was away caring for her ill husband, I picked up two weddings yesterday. Being tired and annoyed with people in general, I didn't over-exert myself today. We did:

Entrance: Hail the Day That Sees Him Rise (Llanfair)
    ICEL chant Gloria
    Psalm: God Mounts His Throne...Michael Guimont
    Offertory: Holy Spirit, Lord of Light - Colin Brumby
    Other mass parts - ICEL chants
    Propers - Rice
    Communion: A Hymn of Glory Let Us Sing (Lasst Uns Efreuen)
    Recessional: Go to the World (Sine Nomine)
    Postlude: Magnificat du 1er Ton- Grand Jeu - Michel Corrette
  • The Seventh Sunday of Easter
    Being Sunday within the Octave of the Ascension
    At Walsingham

Organ Voluntary - on the Agincourt Hymn - Improvisation
    At the Procession - Hymn: 'At the Name of Jesus Ev'ry Knee Shall Bow' - - - King's Weston
    Vidi Aquam - Chant, T. Norris
    The Introit - Exaudi Domine - - - Tone VII (AUG)

Kyrie - Mass of St. Mary Magdelene - - - Healey Willan
    Gloria - Mass of St. Mary Magdelene - - - Healey Willan

Psalm XXVII - Dominus illuminatio - - - Chant, Walter Ernest Smith
    Alleluya and Verse - Regnavit Dominus and Exivi a Patre - - - After Palestrina

The Nicene Creed - - - Recto tono, with organ embellishments
    The Universal Prayers - - - Byzantine Chant

At the Offertory -
    The Antiphon - Ascendit Deus - - -Tone II (AUG)
    Anthem - 'O Clap Your Hands' - - - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Sanctus - Mass of St. Mary Magdelene - - - Healey Willan
    The Our Father - - - Mode VII
    Agnus Dei - Mass of St. Mary Magdelene - - - Healey Willan

At the Communion -
    The Antiphon - Pater cum essem - - - Tone I (AUG)
    Anthem - O Rex Gloriae - - - Luca Marenzio
    Hymn - 'See, the Conqu'ror Mounts in Triumph' - - - Rex Gloriae

At the Dismissal - Hymn: 'The Head that Once Was Crowned with Thorns' - - - St Magnus
    Organ Voluntary - in D - - - John Stanley
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • KyleM18
    Before I was kicked off of the planning committee was forced to leave my school due to safety concerns, the song list for our baccalaureate mass, which was celebrated on Ascension Thursday, was the following:

Procession of the Graduates - Concerato on "O God, Beyond All Praising" (Richard Proulx)
    Entrance Antiphon - Roman Missal, chanted to a Psalm Tone
    Entrance Hymn - A Hymn of Glory Let us Sing (LASST UNS EURFRUEN, arr. Procter)
    Kyrie - A Community Mass (Richard Proulx)
    Gloria - A New Mass For Congregations (Andrews, arr. Myers)
    Responsorial Psalm - Guimont
    Gospel Acclamation - Celtic Alleluia, proper verse adapted by Myers
    Offertory Hymn - Hail the Day that Sees Him Rise
    Eucharistic Acclamations - Mass of Creation (Mandated by the bishop)
    Lamb of God - Mass of St. Timothy (Matt Maher)
    Communion Antiphon - Roman Missal, chanted to a Psalm Tone
    Communion Hymns - I am the bread of life (Toolan)
    Hymn of Praise - We Praise you and acknowledge you (THAXTED, arr. Myers)
    Recessional Hymn - Sing with all the saints in glory (HYMN TO JOY)
    Recession of the Graduates - HYMN TO JOY (Instrumental)

Our instruments were to be Organ, Piano, Brass quartet, String Trio, Tympani, and Guitar. Once I left, this was changed to Piano, String Duo, Drums, and Guitar. I believe the song list stayed the same.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Prelude on the Te Deum, Charpentier
    A Hymn of Glory, LASST UNS (at Masses at which a hymn was sung)
    Entrance chant (LCM) or Introit (GR)
    Mass VIII
    Psalm/Alleluia LCM
    When Deacons are ordained: Litany of the Saints and Antiphons (MJM)
    Offertory LCM
    Rejoice in the Lord, Weelkes
    Mass VIII
    Communio (G&T)
    All People Clap Your Hands, Weelkes
    Wood THAXTED hymn
    Trumpet tune in Bb Major, Brunner
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Kathy
  • chonakchonak
    Numerous dioceses in the US still observe Ascension Thursday on a Thursday. They are in the following provinces: Boston, Hartford, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, and Omaha, per the USCCB's liturgical calendar.

• chonakchonak
    Seen on the net:
    "Did anyone go to Ascension Thursday Sunday Saturday vigil?"
  • tomjaw
    As an aside - I find it slightly irritating when trads make fun of "OF people" for not celebrating Ascension Thursday when their EF parishes still celebrate the 'external solemnity' on the Sunday following. That's still cheating.

We would normally have celebrated the Sunday within the Octave, but this year,

28th May External Solemnity of St. Bede.
    Vidi Aquam.
    All Propers, from the Graduale Romanum 1924 (Common of Doctors)
    Ordinary, Mass II
    Credo I
    Offertory 'motet', Optatus votis omnium (Roman melody)
    Com. 'motet', Postqum hostem (former sequence for Sunday within the Octave)
    Domine salvum fac (Prayer for the queen)
    Marian Anthem, Regina Caeli Solemn tone.

N.B. We also had a sung Mass for St. Bede on Saturday.
  • CharlesW
    I think the important thing is that we are celebrating Ascension. Calendar disputes occur constantly in the Eastern churches, so nothing new there. As to when Christ was born, died, resurrected, I suspect those events were adapted to theologian speculation at a later time. No one really knows the actual calendar dates when any of the events in Christ's life occurred. Ascension Sunday, Thursday, maybe Tuesday? It doesn't matter.
  • MatthewRoth
    If Christ emerged from the tomb sometime between Saturday evening and Sunday morning– classically, the temporal celebration of the Resurrection is Matins in the West– then the fortieth day recorded in Acts is Thursday.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CharlesW
    IF - We don't know actual dates. We don't even have records proving some individuals existed or when. The typical western church dating is off by several years for Christ's birth. I suspect early Christians were more interested in survival than accurate historical recording. Given civil upheavals, such as war, the destruction of Jerusalem, scattering of people, it would be no surprise if records fell by the wayside. The important thing is to celebrate those events, not worry too much about unverified dates. Granted, I have met some who would almost go to war over them.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    This is What Was Done At Our Parish on Sunday

Entrance: Christ the Lord Is Risen Today
    Kyrie: Spoken
    Gloria: Mass of Renewal
    Psalm: God Mounts His Throne (setting from Gather Comprehensive)
    Alleluia: Mass of Renewal
    Sermon: Topic was Suicide (guest priest as well, due to Pastor being gone for Diaconate Ordinations)
    Offertory: (I don't remember what it was)
    Sanctus: Mass of Renewal
    Memorial Acclamation: Mass of Renewal
    Amen: Mass of Renewal
    Agnus Dei: Mass of Renewal
    Communion: Taste and See (Moore)
    Recessional: The King of Glory Let Us Sing (LASST UNS ERFREUEN)

Not a word was spoken about the Ascension or what it means, only the mention at the beginning of the Mass that we were celebrating the Ascension of the Lord.
  • rich_enough
    It is important that we celebrate the events but surely the day matters too. I mean, it would be weird to celebrate the Ascension before Pentecost, for example, or change Pentecost to 57 days after Easter instead of 50 for no reason other than convenience. Celebrating Ascension on a Sunday is not a matter of war or the vicissitudes of history but a deliberate change, which is what makes it a bit annoying.

In this case we do know the "actual dates" - Christ rose on the first day of the week and ascended 40 days later. But more to the point the tradition has been to keep this date. Liturgical time has some meaning, whether it reproduces historical time or not. <<end of rant>>
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Liturgical time has some meaning, whether or not it reproduces historical time or not.

If someone could find me a primary source on the liturgy from the first century AD, I would love to read it.
  • Well, our bishops would certainly share the rather cynical assessment of dates expressed by some here. Some of us don't. True, we may or may not know precise dates, but their occurrence in our kalendar is far from devoid of important spiritual and theological meaning for us. Some, along with our 'wonderful' bishops couldn't care less. I find their attitudes callous in the extreme.

The Easter-Ascension-Pentecost sequence is pregnant with well-known import - but, who cares - these things have no meaning to modern folk - certainly not to modern American prelates who know more how to jettison than to teach. I find it disgusting that every solemnity of our Lord other than Christmas is moved to the nearest convenient Sunday (and none are days of obligation) lest we ask the faithful to importune their poor selves on a week day. Notwithstanding, certain solemnities of the BVM remain week-day obligations. Something is dreadfully wrong with these priorities.
  • CharlesW
    That celebration of Ascension on the following Sunday happened so long ago in my diocese, that I don't remember when it started.
  • a_f_hawkins
    we're drifting off topic, but pre 1955, how many hours elapsed between the creeping to the cross and singing the Ex(s)ultet?
    I am belatedly (73 years since I first struggled to understand the Penny Catechism) just beginning to think that we put too much effort into systematising- "it's all so much straw"
  • a_f_hawkins
    As to what happened in our church, it was too dire to list. As part of an effort to get our Philipino community to engage liturgically, we had a guitar led (Philipino) group from a neighbouring parish. The musical focus was on Mary (inc. Fatima). I should perhaps mention that at least half our First Holy Communions come from this section of the parish.
  • JonLaird
    Seen on the net:
    "Did anyone go to Ascension Thursday Sunday Saturday vigil?"

Our term for it was "Ascension Thursday Sunday, Anticipated After-the-Fact."
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • CCoozeCCooze
    As an aside - I find it slightly irritating when trads make fun of "OF people" for not celebrating Ascension Thursday when their EF parishes still celebrate the 'external solemnity' on the Sunday following.

Nope.

We celebrated the Sunday after Ascension.
    Gregorian Propers, Mass I, Credo I,
    Pergolesi "Surrexit Christus" as an offertory motet
    Simple Tone Regina Caeli antiphon, with Charpentier "Regina Caeli" duet as recessional.
    Children's schola sang 2 tunes as Communion "motets"
  • MatthewRoth
    The dating of the birth of Christ is complicated, and criticizing the Western dating buys into the mythos of the “Dark Ages.”

We do know–there is a Scriptural record. I wish I could find the citation, but Roman Christians apparently found records in Rome which were copied from the Temple.

As to pre–1955, well, ideally around a day, or just under, regardless of whether it was done in the morning, if the Little Hours including None were anticipated or after 3 PM if only Matins and Lauds have been anticipated.
  • tomjaw
    Holy Week times from 1939, here

The Imperial Archive in Rome, (that may still be buried in the ruins) would have had the census records of Augustus (inferred in a Sermon by St. John Chrysostom on the correct date of Christmas), it would also have had a record of the trial and Crucifixion. It should be noted that many of the accounts of the early martyrs, mention the judge commenting on Jesus being a "common criminal" or having been crucified.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Thanks, if we used not to worry (liturgically) about "on the third day", perhaps we don't need to be too worked up about 40 days either. [Though I would prefer the OF to have Ascension on the thursday, with an octave (or something) to justify an Ascension emphasis on the following sunday.]
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • advocatusadvocatus
    St. Michael the Archangel, Leawood, Kansas

Introit: Viri galilaei (Gregorian)
    Hymn: A Hymn of Glory Let Us Sing (Lasst uns erfreuen)
    Gloria: Mass in Honor of St. Michael (Vogt)
    Psalm: Psalm 47 (Guimont)
    Alleluia: Mode VI Chant / Mass in Honor of St. Paul (Vogt)
    Offertory: All People, Clap Your Hands (Weelkes)
    Hymn: Hail the Day that Sees Him Rise (Llanfair)
    Sanctus: Mass in Honor of St. Michael (Vogt)
    Agnus Dei: Mass in Honor of St. Michael (Vogt)
    Communio: Data est mihi omnis potestas (Gregorian)
    Hymn: Alleluia! Sing to Jesus (Hyfrydol)
    Hymn: Go Make of All Disciples (Ellacombe)
    Marian Antiphon: Regina caeli (Gregorian)
  • Liam
    "... Roman Christians apparently found records in Rome which were copied from the Temple"

records of *what*?
  • CharlesW
    Dionysius Exiguus, or Dennis the Little, who created the Christian calendar in the 6th century, may have had records modern scholars would die for. But if they existed, they have been lost and are not available today to substantiate his conclusions. Current thinking is that the calendar is off and that Christ may have been born around 6 B.C. Some scholars have indicated - wish I could remember who - that the descriptions of the birth in scripture are more aligned with a September birth, rather than December. At this late date, how could anyone prove either?
  • Liam
    "Some scholars have indicated - wish I could remember who - that the descriptions of the birth in scripture are more aligned with a September birth, rather than December."

That's based on a reconstruction of a calendar fixed by a clue in Luke 1, that Zachary was of the order of Abijan within the Kohanim, and (I forget the link here...) that order would have been on-duty at The Temple at Shavuot (rather than Yom Kippur), which would put the Annunciation to the BVM around Chanukah, the Nativity of the Baptist at Pesach and the Nativity of Our Lord at Sukkoth (which, in the time of the Herod's Temple, was more important than the preceding high holy days).
  • MatthewRoth
    Liam–those which mention the Christ. Tomjaw also mentions the census of Augustus.

The trouble is that the tradition has kept one feast in March and the other nine months later. We simply cannot speculate either way about anything specific before 300 (or at least the time of St. Cyprian–the records aren’t clear enough) but it’s clear that the date of Christmas became unified after the legalization of Christianity.

It is surprising that Matins and Lauds of Easter were anticipated in 1939. Compline was always supposed to be normal, and the Resurrection is the moment which resets the disorder of time brought in by the fall, represented spiritually by the anticipation of the Lenten offices from 1st Vespers of the 1st Sunday of Lent. Thus temporally celebrating the Resurrection at Matins during the night is appropriate. Also, while it is no longer Lent, Holy Saturday’s celebration is somewhat tempered traditionally, and the traditional prayer for the meal is not the full prayers beginning with “Haec dies,” but it instead uses “Vespere autem.”

Remember that the Mass of the Paschal Vigil itself had a Tract, and to this day there are no lights. The Resurrection was a process, that is to say that it happened at a specific time unknown to us but it took much time for the fact to be discovered, announced, and believed. This is different from the clear evidence that after forty days, Christ ascended, and the disciples saw it at once. Christ became flesh and worked the redemption in a specific time and place, so we should do our best to mark that and all sanctifications of time, such as thanksgiving for a victory through some mystery of faith, e.g. both feasts of the Cross, the BVM of the Rosary, and the Precious Blood, in our worship. The one hole in my argument is that the Paschal octave ends on Saturday because it started on Saturday…

• tomjaw
    Matins and Lauds of Easter were anticipated in 1939

As they were in the Sarum usage.
  • ref_scottref_scott
    The Proto-Cathedral of St. James the Greater - Vancouver, WA

St. James Collegium Musicum and String Orchestra

Prelude: Church Sontata in B-flat K221, Mozart
    Introit: Viri Galilaei, Plainsong
    Hymn: Hail the day that sees in rise LLANFAIR
    Kyrie and Gloria: Missa Brevis in B-flat, No. 7, Haydn
    Responsorial: LCM
    Alleluia: Dominus in sina, Plainsong