Moore's Taste and See
  • Kathy
    I'm seriously considering programming this for a particular occasion.

Am I a bad person?
  • Marc Cerisier
    I use it on occasion, but prefer the original text to the neutered version currently available in most resources. It can be very boring is the choral parts are played as the accompaniment.

Marc
  • Kathy,

For what occasion are you considering it? It is a Jazz fest?

Besides, following His Holiness, "who am I to judge" -- and how -- if you wish to program this piece?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You might try this setting of mine, instead.
  • Am I a bad person?

Good people have been known to do bad music (when they had no choice).

Actually, I don't know this piece, but judging from the above comments I gather that it might belong on an Index of forbidden works? Is this 'Taste and See' in bad taste?
  • music123
    I do it at my church. If you do it, please do it like this:

https://youtu.be/dXGiL8zVSG8
  • CharlesW
    I dropped it over 10 years ago for mass. A choir member's son is getting married and I agreed to play for the wedding. The member is bringing back some of the abandoned stuff for the wedding, including this. He is a tenor who loves to harmonize and he remembers the "good ol' days" when we did this. Hope he enjoys it, because it will likely not see the light of day again. LOL.
  • Caleferink
    I use it on occasion. Text-wise it's just fine IF (IF IF IF) one uses the original version and not the one neutered by GIA later. I always play it on organ, using the SATB parts for the accompaniment on the refrain and just adapt the verses to accompany a soloist (8' swell, small 16' in pedal to cover low bass notes). And, again, always, always use the original text and not the neutered one. Ironically, GIA's current editions have the neutered edition whereas OCP still has the original, at least last I checked. If you do use it, get your hands on the original octavo published in 1985 or else (gasp!) the version used in Breaking Bread.
  • Kathy
    I went ahead and did it.

Also Schubert AM and Franck PA. Not sure which rang the schmaltzometer loudest.

Just add in the Mozart AV for the grand slam.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I've never heard a gospel/jazz version of the Moore. In point of fact, the chord progressions of both refrain & version are decidedly NOT jazz; actually they could be regarded as anti-jazz.
    It's certainly not the worst tune ever crafted. But it also is an exemplar of how not to set a congregational text, ie. "Glorifyyyyyyyyyyyy the Lord with meeeeeeeeeee; togetherrrrrrrr....etc.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Spriggo