St. Peter's Music for Pentecost?
  • bgeorge77
    Howdy folks-- So I am going to Rome for the first time and taking a bunch of eighth graders with me. We'll be in St. Peter's for the 5pm Pentecost Mass. I am told it will be in Latin, so I assume that the propers from the GR will be sung... but will they? Will they do the two Alleluias (Alleluia Emitte and Alleluia Veni Sancte) or only one, or none? Will they sing the sequence? Will there be some kind of booklet?

I'd like my eighth graders to know what they're hearing; they are more-or-less musically literate and know chant about as well as you could expect eighth graders to know chant. In fact I am fairly sure that they've performed at least a few of the Pentecost propers already. (I'm not the choir teacher, but the music program here definitely tries to do the Latin propers as much as possible.)

In any case, I'd love to know a bit more about musical praxis at St Peter's. Thank you!
  • PaxMelodious
    You'll be lucky if the security guards stop talking for long enough to let you hear the Mass.
  • rich_enough
    Thanked by 1bgeorge77
  • a_f_hawkins
    Every papal celebration has an order of service which stays available on the vatican website, this is from last year (the video above): booklet . But 5pm does not appear to be a papal celebration, the calendar shows that as 10am.
  • PaxTecum
    I have been to non papal masses at the basilica (altar of the chair) and they usually consist of Italian hymns and Latin chanted mass Parts