Ite Missa Est, Alleluia
  • For Mass 1, how compulsorary is it to sing the second version after the Easter Octave?

My Priest has great difficulty learning new music, and I need to know by tomorrow!

He can sing the version for the Octave, the second version I will have to teach him in the sacristy before holy Mass.

Thank you,

Thredboskier.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    According to my 2008 Missale Romanum, the "Ite missa est, alleluia" is only used during to Octave of Easter and on Pentecost.

So, between the Second Sunday of Easter and Pentecost, the dismissal is just "Ite, missa est". You can sing the one from Mass I, but it is by no means compulsory.

You can use any setting your priest is familiar with, especially if it is a setting he can sing with confidence.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I remember once working with a great older priest who has since passed away who, when discussing settings in the sacristy, would always say he knew whatever Gloria intonation or Ite - he'd ask me to give him the intonation on the organ. I would do that and he always sang VIII.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    Of the simplest tone [Do re-fa fa-mi re mi.] the Liber Usualis says the following:

This tone may be used ad libitum for all Masses where Ite, missa est is sung without alleluia.