Chanting the Pentecost Sequence in Spanish
  • TeresaW
    Good evening, dear liturgists (certified or otherwise),

I am looking for a good setting (or non-setting) of the Pentecost sequence in Spanish, actually I really just want to do a plainchant... But I'm not sure where to find one. All of OCP's settings are lyrical and the only really down-to-earth one is verse-refrain with ten verses on the same melody, and will last about 5 minutes if we use it...

Does anyone know of a simple chant, or if I'm allowed to set the Spanish words to the official Veni Sancte Spiritus chant we've used forever and ever in the Church?

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions!!

Teresa

P.S. I would post this in Music for Hispanic Ministry, but I'm afraid to lose out on some of your amazing English-speakers only comments!!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I don't have it in front of me, but I would check GIA's Oramos Cantando if you haven't already.

I know they have the In Paradisum in Spanish, and I would suspect that they have the Pentecost sequence also.
  • ronkrisman
    Yes, it's no. 896 in Oramos Cantando / We Pray in Song. The chant melody is notated in the isorhythmic version of Adriaan Engels. No problem. Just sing every note with the same duration for the plainsong chant.
  • TeresaW
    Hi, thanks for the suggestions! We don't have Oramos Cantando (we used to, but then bought Flor y Canto before I got here). I found something on YouTube it matches the USCCB official text, the composer said I could use it for free. I will harmonize and we'll also have guitar- it's here: http://documents.mx/download/link/ven-dios-espiritu-santo-secuencia-partiturapdf and here on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzLlWxysLOU
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    In my opinion, if you're interested in this sort of thing, you should purchase a few copies of Oramos Cantando for the choir, a copy of the accompaniments for yourself, and a few copies of the lectionary psalm volumes for yourself and your cantors. There is a lot of flexibility that comes with the book. It's certainly not perfect, nor as tradition-focused as I would like, but it's an important resource for me in my occasional work with bilingual and/or Spanish-language music ministry.
  • You know, the Graduale (/Triplex/Novum/Simplex) has (have) a setting in plainsong, in very, very old Spanish. :D
    Thanked by 1Joseph Mendes