America, America
  • eft94530eft94530
    Mr. Lally is in the process of translating the original Latin texts of every Gregorian chant into English.

How many more translations do we need?
    And the same goes for Spanish and (put your language here).
    Seems like more balkanisation.

replaced the traditional neumes with modern musical notation [...] to arrive at what he calls “the truth of the music.”

??
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Liam
    "Seems like more balkanisation."

Or a variation on preservation.
  • eft has a point!
    We have Palmer-Burgess.
    We have Bruce Ford's work (if only it were in chant notation!)
    That covers historic and modern English versions.
    What more is needed?
    I've often encouraged Fr Columba to do this.

It may be a boon to us that the Church hasn't 'provided' us with an 'official' translation.
    It doesn't have a very good 'track record' when it comes to singable, highly literate English.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    We don't need a translation of Gregorian chant into English! We need to sing the original Latin from the Graduale Romanum!
    Thanked by 2Vilyanor madorganist
  • CharlesW
    I suspect the people who love chant will still love it, and those who hate it will have another reason for their hatred of it.

Translation into English? Should have happened 400 years sooner.
  • Liam
    We can do both. Don't let the best be the enemy of the good. That's a profound mistake that would help keep the best at the margins.
  • I can concur with Liam's assertion of the best being the enemy of the good maxim. This is often a wise stance. On the other hand, I have often, far too often, encountered those who acted as though the best was the enemy of the good because 'good' was good enough for them. The truth is that we should, each of us, strive to do our best, not just our good, but our best. Our best may not be the objective best of all, it may not be as fine as someone else's best, but less than our best is never good enough.
  • Andrew_Malton
    What amazed me about that article wasn’t so much the thing his schola is doing or the idea of making a translation "of every Gregorian chant" (better get on that, Ed), but the "aren’t these guys great they're reinventing traditional modern" tone of the article. Do America readers really need to know that chant is "an ancient musical form characterized by sung melody unaccompanied by instruments"? Has the journalist (or Mr Lally) not visited St John Cantius, which is just a few miles east?
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Liam
    I doubt someone investing that much effort in this project would let the good become the enemy of the best, because that would involve contempt for the best that would be quite an obstacle to achieving the project. That's the specific context for my citation of the maxim. Other contexts may of course involve the risk of defensive rationalization that MJO dilates on.

Perhaps because I went to a college with what was then a very strong culture of honor and mutual trust, and found what miracles cultures of trust can be, I am habituated to being wary of argument that starts from a position of suspicion and distrust, however validly acquired over the years. Circles of trust (being both trustworthy and trusting, a reciprocally directed disposition of the soul, heart and mind) always start with cultivating it in ourselves, and require constant vigilance against rationalization to weakening such cultivation. (There will always be abundant reasons for rationalization. It's inherent in it.) I find the Internet a place where such rationalization is much more strongly empowered than the contrary cultivation. In that sense, it's even an occasion of sin unless we commit to work to remedy it.
  • francis
    yawn...

will someone just pick up the GR a sing me a song... in LATIN?