Sunday Psalm, 2nd Sunday of Easter Year A
  • TeresaW
    Hello dear liturgists,

I'm afraid to be ignorant here, but here's my conundrum. I know you can sing a Psalm assigned to a Sunday's liturgy, and you can elect instead to sing the common Psalm for the Season.

However, this week's psalm is 118 (117 in Spanish): 2-4. 13-15. and 22-24.

The refrain is (rough translation because I'm working in Spanish): Give thanks to the Lord for he is good, his love/mercy is everlasting.

However, the liturgy planning book I have suggests I could use last week's psalm, also 117/118 with the refrain "Aleluya" or another psalm suggests using the actual refrain from last week "This is the Day the Lord has Made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."

All of this would be fine, except that when I looked at the common psalm suggestion for this week, psalm 118/117 wasn't suggested for this particular Sunday - but I'm not sure if that's correct either as I thought we could use it during Easter Season for some weird reason?

Anyhow, my multifaceted question is:

Is Psalm 118/117 the common Psalm for ALL of Easter including next week and
    Is it legitimate to use a different refrain that comes from the same psalm as a substituted refrain?
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    The responsorial psalm on Easter Sunday is Ps 118: 1-2, 16ab-17, 22-23 with the refrain 'This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad' (v. 24).

The responsorial psalm on the Second Sunday of Easter is also from Psalm 118 and has the refrain 'Give thanks to the Lord for he is good, his love is everlasting' (v. 1) or 'Alleluia', with verses 2-4, 13-15, 22-24. So, it's the same psalm, but with different verses and another refrain.

The responsorial psalm of Easter Sunday is, however, one of the two common responsorial psalms which can be sung during Easter Time. The other common responsorial psalm for Easter Season is Ps 66: 1-3a, 4-5, 6-7a, 16 and 20 with the refrain 'Let all the earth cry out to God with joy, alleluia' (v. 1). Both these psalms can be substituted for the proper psalm from the Lectionary.
    Thanked by 1TeresaW