gregorian chant notations (square notes)
  • can you explain to me little bit about the square note (gregorian notes), about its signs and symbols because i find difficult to read them, of course i tried with the help of some guide but there are a vast area which i could not tackle with this problem.

Thank you
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    If you check out the main site, there is a tab labelled 'Book PDFs'. Click on that link and go down to where you find 'Beginner's Guide to Gregorian Chant' and 'If You Can Sing Joy to the World You Can Learn to Read and Sing Gregorian Chant'. You might also try 'Gregorian Chant Coloring Book for Children and Adults' These books helped me to read and learn the square notes.
  • a_f_hawkins
    You could also look at this series of videos, or something similar.
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    HERE is a basic explanatory post I wrote a while ago.
  • stulte
    Without knowing your personal musical skill level, the simplest way I'd say to start looking at reading the square notes is this: the order of singing the notes is from left to right and from the bottom to the top. So, if you have two notes directly on top of each other, sing the bottom one first. Though, that might not be what you're asking about. Could you give some more details about what's giving you trouble?
  • thank you