Bilingual Wedding
  • I'm the groom. Attendees will be predominately Korean-speaking but with many familiar with English and some English-only speakers. Predominately Catholic but many Protestants as well. None familiar with Latin. Korean Catholics regularly recite the Entrance and Communion antiphons from the Missal but I'm hoping to introduce them to full sung propers. I would personally prefer all Latin but good sense (i.e., the bride) is dictating otherwise so Mass will be mostly Korean.

I know it's a long-shot but anyone know if a Korean translation of the GR propers exist? Or an approved Korean psalter?

My program so far:

Procession with servers, priest, and groom: Prince of Denmark
    Bride's procession: Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
    Introit at the altar: Deus in loco sancto suo with Korean refrain, alternating Korean/English verse, and Korean Gloria Patri
    Kyrie: Kyrie XVI
    Gloria: Korean
    First reading: English
    Responsorial Psalm: "Blessed are those who fear the Lord," (same psalm as Uxa tua but more politically correct) with Korean refrain and alternating Korean/English verses.
    Second reading: Korean
    Alleluia: Mittat vobis Dominus with triple Alleluia, Korean verse, triple Alleluia ending with the proper jubilus by cantor alone.
    Gospel: Korean then repeated in English
    Post-celebration: Confirma hoc Deus (Salieri) in Latin by choir alone. I know it's recommended to be communal but I can't think of a way to make that work.
    Universal prayer: Alternating Korean/English. Adapted from the Good Friday Solemn Intercessions and one from the Order of Celebrating Matrimony. Maybe with "Kyrie eleison" as the response?
    Offertory: In te speravi, Domine with "You are my God. My lot is in your hands," as the Korean refrain and alternating Korean/English verses
    Offertory motet: Sicut Cervus (Palestrina)
    Sanctus, Mysterium fidei, Lord's Prayer, and Agnus Dei: Korean
    Communion: Primum quaerite regnum Dei with Korean refrain, alternating Korean/English verses, and Korean Gloria Patri
    Post-Communion: Ubi Caritas in Latin with "Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est" in Latin as a communal refrain.
    Presentation of flowers: Salve Regina in Korean
    Recessional: Te Deum prelude (Charpentier)

Thoughts? Would love to get some input.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I don't know, but be aware: 1/ The Korean missal revision to match the 3rd Roman Missal is expected later this year 2/ There is an official hymnal, also due for revision 3/ The Latin of your postcommunion refrain has also been revised (50 years ago!) to "Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est" (GR p168, GS p133).
    Thanked by 1WeddingBell
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Don't have much time right now, but the OF Introit is "Deus Israel"
  • @a_f_hawkins, that's good to know. Are there any major changes in the newest nuptial Mass? I believe there's a new acclamation after the celebration. I'm aware of the Ubi caritas revision but I'm going with the older/newer version for the wedding for obvious reasons.

@irishtenor, I believe you mean EF, correct?
  • I have to admit that I'm curious about this statement you made:
    I'm aware of the Ubi caritas revision but I'm going with the older/newer version for the wedding for obvious reasons.

The reasons aren't obvious to me...
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • RevAMG
    In English, in the new translation of the Order of Celebrating Matrimony, after the reception of the consent, there is now the acclamation: V. Let us bless the Lord. R. Thanks be to God. The ritual, however, does state that "another acclamation" may be sung or said.

No music is given for the acclamation. The Committee of Divine Worship of the USCCB stated in its August 2016 Newsletter the following regarding the acclamation:

Singing the dialogue could be helpful, especially if the celebrant has worked in advance with the cantor, who would lead the response. Adapting the text to a familiar melody can facilitate participation, such as the melodies found in the Roman Missal with the dialogue "The Lord be with you / And with your spirit" or "Go in peace / Thanks be to God." Also, the option to use another acclamation could be employed, and a familiar setting of "Alleluia" might be used, for example.

You could always use a form of the Benedicamus Domino in Latin, from either the Antiphonale Romanum II or the Dominican chant of it:
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • @irishtenor, it looks like they used the EF introit instead. My 1974 GR doesn't list Deus Israel. Can someone confirm?

@Marc Cerisier, et amor just seems more appropriate for a wedding Mass.

@RevAMG, thank you! Do you happen to know why that acclamation was inserted?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    @WeddingBell -- who's "they?"

Here's another example from St. Ann's in Charlotte:

1. MASS in the ORDINARY FORM
    Required: INTROIT (also knows as the Entrance Antiphon) and COMMUNION
    ANTIPHON: In order to help set the proper tone for your wedding, the prescribed
    Introit and Communion antiphon for a Catholic nuptial Mass are used for all
    weddings. (The Introit is required for the wedding ceremony celebrated outside of
    Mass.)
    The INTROIT: DEUS ISRAEL is sung in Latin (its language of origin) prior to the formal
    seating of mothers. If there is no formal seating of mothers, the Introit is sung just
    before the processional begins.

http://www.stanncharlotte.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/weddingmusic_7.2014.pdf

Obviously, in the Ordinary Form, you could licitly use just about anything you want for the introit under the umbrella of alius cantus aptus.
  • "They" = ccwatershed.

I'm really confused now. The 1974 GR does not list Deus Israel as a nuptial introit. Is there another official source or something?
  • a_f_hawkins
    @WeddingBell I too would be confused by St. Ann's Charlotte. To insist on using the EF antiphon for an OF Mass seems to be going beyond the rubrics. GR 1974 clearly offers three options (p.645): Deus in loco sancto suo, or Domine, refugium factus es nobis, or Timete Dominum, omnes sancti eius . On the other hand, the EF antiphon is directly relevant, the connection of the current three with marriage needs more study than I have given it.
    BTW there is another official option, the GS has Nuptiae facta sunt. This obviously relates to marriage.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Very interesting! Thank you, @WeddingBells and @a_f_hawkins. I'm going to have to look in the GR when I get to work; I've always just trusted CC Watershed on this.