Plainchant Amens
  • ViolaViola
    Please could I have some advice on which sort of Amen to sing after prayers, collects etc. There is some anxiety in our ranks about whether to sing Amen on one note or on a rising semitone, one syllable per note, or with the 'Men' syllable sung on two notes rising a semitone.
    When I started thinking about it I realised I didn't actually know myself. Is there a rule for such things? or a source of info?
    We sing the chant in English.
    I'm sure knowledgeable people on this forum will have the answer, so many thanks in anticipation.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    It usually depends on how the priest finishes his part. Sometimes people are sticklers and want to have things a certain ("the proper") way, no matter what, but since we are responding to the priest, we should be in harmony with him. (MHO)
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • ViolaViola
    So is there some formula for which ending gets which type of Amen?
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    I think these tones from the ICEL are current and represent what is in the current edition of the Missal.

At any rate, what is in the Missal is what should be used.
    Thanked by 3CCooze Mary Ann Viola
  • Well, of course, the Sarum formula is the one to be in tune with -

In it (for collects and such) the priest drops down a semi-tone on the last accent, thusly:
    for ever and e-e.ver, and the amen goes from ti back up to do thusly a-a.men
    Thanked by 1Viola