Chant Composition "Propter hoc" in Mode 7
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Hello all, and happy Passion Week! I just completed my first chant composition, based on tropes from mode 7 communion antiphons. Any critiques? I'll add in staffless neums to convey the semiology behind the tropes at some point, but for now, the notes are all there.
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • How neat!

I really like the way you've joined the musical phrases of "homo" and "uxori" together to create the final "carne una". That's very beautiful and meaningful.

Less textually significant, the parallelism you've established between "relinquit" and "et erunt" brings the piece nicely together as a unity.

"Matrem" sings a little awkwardly from my point of view right now, but maybe the semiology will clarify your choices.

Very nicely done, IMO.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Thanks! I'm glad you noticed the parallels, I thought that was pretty cool.

Noted on "matrem", I'll take another look.
  • igneusigneus
    Unsatisfying ending. Or at least I hear it that way.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Hmm, that's difficult. It's almost exactly the ending of "Erubescant", and I don't hear it after singing it through, and I'm not sure what would change it :/
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Here is the finished and illuminated page for anyone who is interested. Thanks all for the feedback!
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Coemgen
    On "Propter", where did you get the "c-FaG"? The "FaG" is spot on, but it never in Gregorian chant follows a downward leap of more than a perfect fourth.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    I know it's a bit of a jump. I've thought about adding in "a" to make it a descending arpeggio to F, but that requires writing over the semiological notes.