V. The Light of Christ. R. Thanks be to God.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Near the beginning of the OF Easter Vigil, the Deacon enters a darkened church carrying the lighten Paschal candle, and three times he intones The Light of Christ, with response Thanks be to God.

For me, that light is to a renewed light, returned from the tomb after it was gone from us; especially when the church is dark etc. Somehow different, at least a little, from "The true light that lightens all men, coming into the world", even though it's the same Light, that is Christ.

Well... in the (Canadian) Catholic Book of Worship, the acclamation comes with two other choices at that point:

1) V. Christ, our light. R. Thanks be to God.
    or
    2) V. Christ our light, the light of the world. R. Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.

And on the strength of this optionality, at this year's Vigil our priest will say his own choice/version:

3) V. The Light of Christ has come into the world. R. The Light of Christ has come into the world.

Evidently there's a need to identify the candle's light with the enlightening that is the Incarnation, rather than the renewed hope that is the Resurrection.

Does anyone else's Vigil include a "different" version of the Lumen Christi?
  • Liam
    The problem is that the last R. should probably just be "Thanks!"

Or "No problem!"
  • Or...
    This is one of the most stupidly irksome of current fashionable locutions. I am always tempted to reply, 'Oh, I was hoping it would be'.
    And, I've yet to figure out what one is supposed to have that is 'a nice one'.
  • Andrew_Malton
    You guys are being sarcastic but I wasn't. Something about "V." and "R." seems to invite mockery. But surely there's a way to discuss a ritual dialogue, even if it's illicit or improvised, without making fun?
    Thanked by 1Ali
  • Liam
    My apologies. I should have responded that it's been a long time since I attended Vigils, after two decades of heavy labors for them, I overdosed, so I don't know what variations might be making the rounds these days.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • Andrew,

The greatest problem with the Ordo of Paul VI is its propensity, in the approved rubrics, to allow -- or even encourage -- options. "these... or similar words" and similar instructions give rise to the sort of nonsense with which you must cope. Until the situation of the approved instructions changes, nothing can be (legally) declared out of bounds or an abuse.
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • KyleM18
    I've sorta experienced it once, because the deacon did not know what to do, he sang CHRIST OUR LIGHT while the people responded AMEN. (The choir did not know what to sing, despite me and the director correctly singing THANKS BE TO GOD) There is a reason I like worship aids and choir practices.

I know the BNSIC sings a prose in between each V. and R. I've tried having the choir sing the Sarum hymn that was used instead of the V. and R. in between each. (I believe it is "Blest Lord, Creator of the Glowing Light").