• Andrew_Malton
    Aristotle's recent posting of additional MS verses from Domine Iesu Christe raised a general question for me. When is it permitted to add additional text to the liturgy, especially what is, as one may say, proper to a proper?

In the OF, in other words, can one read more context around the proper reading? Can one sing more verses to a proper offertory or gradual or responsorial psalm? What about extra verses in context for the Alleluia or Tract/gospel verses?

Are any such added things ever allowed in the EF? Obviously additional psalm verses are allowed for the introit and commumion, because there they are in the (1962) versus psalmorum book.

One place this might matter is when there's a procession that's not covered by the usual verses. Another, I suppose, might be when a preacher wants a few more verses of context for his sermon -- although this seems dodgy.

Is this issue taken up in the rubrics somewhere? I can't think of where...

Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I've often wondered this about the Alleluia. At the Cathedral of SLC they usually sing a second Alleluia verse due to the grand size of their sanctuary and the amount of time for the deacon to get the blessing, retrieve the Book of Gospels, and climb the high pulpit.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Andrew_Malton
    In the Simplex a second Alleluia verse is always explicitly provided, so it can't be all bad.

On Palm Sunday I want to add more verses from Phil. 2, for the same purpose (although smaller sanctuary!) and although I doubt if anyone will mind or even notice, I'd like to know what the rubrical deal is here.

• On the surface of it it would seem a harmless 'addition' to add verses when needed at the Alleluya responsory. However, it is sort of a regret to do this outside of Eastertide which, historically, has been the only time at which more than one alleluya was sung (at mass). Myself, I would be inclined to improvise during the preparatory ritual and time the singing of allelya to come to an end just as the procession reaches the ambo.

This is how we do it at Walsingham, where the gospel ritual is expanded to include a procession of crucifer, torches, thuribler, boat boy, book bearer, and deacon out into the first few pews of the nave. After the reading the improvisation resumes until all have returned to their choir stalls and the homilist has entered the raised pulpit outside the rood screen.

(And, there is this to consider: it is illicit to add to or subtract one iota from the ritual text. No one, high or low, has genuine authority to do this.)
  • Kathy
    Of course, troping of alleluia verses used to be called a sequence--which can get real whacky.
  • Andrew_Malton
    So I should have looked more carefully.

For the traditional rite, the De ritibus servandis in cantu missae (1961) says clearly (para. I, VI, and IX) that additional verses from the same (idem) psalm, may be used if needed. In the case of the Offertory, chanted from the ancient (antiqui) Gregorian chants -- so this covers the case of Aristotle's transcription. The 1908 Graduale does not contain this permission, it seems. Also, there is no hint that this is allowed for the Alleluia or for the Tract, or anywhere else: and only for sung Masses.

For the new rite, in the Ordo cantus missae (eg in the 1974 Graduale) oddly this permission is not repeated -- it explains how to make processions shorter but not longer. However I cannot believe that additional psalm verses are forbidden, since what cantus could be more aptus?

I conclude: for processions, including the Offertory, where Psalm verses are sung, the current rubrics of both "forms" allow additional verses. But nowhere else, including not for the acclamation at the Gospel. For a longer Gospel procession I'll conduct slower or start later, to end at the right moment, as MJO suggests.
  • johnmann
    For the OF, the GIRM allows just about anything for the Entrance, Offertory, and Communion. No such leeway is given for the Gospel acclamation. The responsorial psalm allows for other collections of psalms and antiphons approved by the bishop so that's also a no-go under normal circumstances. No permission is given in the lectionary either.
    I haven't checked the Simplex to see if there's any provision there, though I tend to doubt it.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    If you need your gospel acclamation (obviously OF) to be longer, I'd suggest either what MJO says, or you could choose something "crazy" with a total of 19 alleluias by the end of it.
    http://www.hymnary.org/hymn/CP1998/page/842
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I believe both Alleluia verses must be sung when using the GS (cf. Praenotanda, VII, 20, 1&3) Alleluia antiphon. If more is required to cover the procession, one could use the Alleluiatic psalm which usually contains 5-10 verses.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    What if you sang it in English, and then in Latin? (our St. Isaac Jogues missals always have the propers written in both English and Latin. So, it isn't exactly "odd" when we do an English chant, followed by the gregorian in Latin... though, we haven't done this for the alleluia.)
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • donr
    For Christmas Midnight Mass. We always sing the Gregorian melismatic Alleluia followed by the English, then if more time is needed we sing the Gregorian again.
  • ....followed by the English...

Just, um, curious - how do you sing 'alleluya' in English?
    There are several kindred and loose translations - which one do you use?
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    how do you sing 'alleluya' in English?
    There are several kindred and loose translations - which one do you use?

Something like
    "Yay, happy worship related exclamation"?
  • Something like...

Well, "Yay, happy worship related exclamation" really goes with all these happy-clappy triple alleluyas that are heard in most of our churches, doesn't it. It even goes with the one quoted from no less than that of the Vatican choir at the top of this thread.

If people realised (as I'm sure many of our Forumites do!) that it really means something like 'praise be to Yahweh', or 'glory be to Yahweh', it might suddenly dawn upon them that these silly little song and dance jingles that are thoughtlessly gushed forth every Sunday were the embarrassment that they are. The last syllable of 'alleluya' (or its Latinate form, 'alleluia') is the first syllable of God's very Name, 'Ya'. An alleluya at mass certainly deserves far more gravitas and depth than most seem inclined to give to it. And, of course, this is the very reason that we sing it as the gospel is about to be proclaimed - 'Praise be to Yahweh!', 'Allelu-ya'. There is nothing, absolutely nothing that approaches the appropriate musical rendering of this mystical ejaculation of praise than the one single historic mass alleluya with its jubilus.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • "No-longer forbidden really cool transliterated Hebrew word" fits the meter well.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor