Can the 1963 Grail translations still be used for the Responsorial Psalm?
  • SMichaelB
    I realize the Revised Grail has been thoroughly discussed on this forum, but I wanted to inquire if the 1963 translations could still be used for the Responsorial Psalm. I have looked online, and there are plenty of explanations about the Revised translation, but nothing that says that the 1963 translation cannot be used anymore. I would assume that the Revised translation is to replace the old one completely, but there are still instances in some Parishes where the old translations are being used. Could someone please clarify for me?

p/s. I know what the GIRM says about using the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary. I also know about using the Proper from the Graduale Romanum. I'm just looking for clarification about the 1963 Grail translations.
  • Liam
    For sung RPs, yes in the USA (per grandfathering of translations previously approved for liturgical use in the US adaptations of the GIRM 61* - the USCCB hasn't revoked previous approval yet so far as I am aware), but not recited.

* "In the Dioceses of the United States of America, instead of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary, there may be sung either the Responsorial Gradual from the Graduale Romanum, or the Responsorial Psalm or the Alleluia Psalm from the Graduale Simplex, as described in these books, or an antiphon and Psalm from another collection of Psalms and antiphons, including Psalms arranged in metrical form, providing that they have been approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop. Songs or hymns may not be used in place of the Responsorial Psalm."
    Thanked by 1SMichaelB