Who here has perfect pitch? :)
  • Other than myself.
    A curse it is indeed.
  • I do.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • CharlesW
    A perfect pitch is throwing a banjo in the trash can without hitting the sides.
  • PaxTecum
    I wish I had it. On a good day I can hear a few pitches in my head and figure it out from there. Working on it.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • I think that most here are probably aware that 'Perfect Pitch', more aptly called 'Absolute Pitch', is really an unerring memory of A 440 and other pitches relative to it. This gift is both a blessing and a mild curse. A blessing because one always can hear exactly what one is looking at in the music, or can accurately produce any desired pitch out of thin air. The mild curse is that it can be an obstacle when music is transposed from the pitch given on the page, because one must himself mentally transpose what he is looking at into another key. [For] singers, who have no instrument to produce their notes for them, this can be a challenge.

Perfect Pitch really does not exist because there is no immutable law of physics that defines our subjective A as being at a very subjective 440. Indeed, do we not all know that A is quite moveable and has been historically assigned different vibratory ratios relative to sacred or profane music, to one country or another, or one historical period or another? Absolute, then, refers to a subjective convention of near universal (nowadays) agreement that a given 440 VPM constitutes A for music of the western musical tradition. And even this convention may be found at times to be in abeyance amongst certain early music enthusiasts.

Those who haven't this Absolute Pitch can, with effort, cultivate it. Try playing an A on your piano or other instrument at regular intervals throughout the day and sing it repeatedly, seeing how long you can remember it. With determination you will find that you can call this pitch to mind at will. You may or may not remember every other pitch, but may calculate them from your memorised A, the result being 'Relative Pitch'.
    Thanked by 2Reval CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I have relative pitch, but I don't hear "A" as a reference point. I hear "F" above middle "C" and use it for reference. Why "F?" I have no idea.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Hmm.. I've been able to find/remember A=440 for a long time (I play oboe ;) ) - is that really all it means? I suppose I could find everything else, from there... It would take me more than just a split second, though!
    I prefer thinking about music in a "movable" sense, however, and greatly appreciate having had to learn solfege while in college.

because one must himself mentally transpose what he is looking at into another key... [for] singers, who have no instrument to produce their notes for them, this can be a challenge.

As a wind-instrumentalist and a vocalist, I'd like to say that it's much easier for me to transpose while singing, than while playing. =) Both, though, can be a bit unnerving, at times.
  • I have no idea.

I suspect that this is a Byzantine quirk.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • dad29
    it can be an obstacle when music is transposed from the pitch given on the page, because one must himself mentally transpose what he is looking at into another key.

Which is a large problem indeed when one is singing very fast passages (although a few rehearsals allow a mental 'transposition' to take effect.)
  • wingletwinglet
    I didn't know there was such a thing as PP until an organist transposed one of my solos during Mass, thinking no one would notice.
    Not only is sightreading transposed music difficult, but sometimes just hearing a piece transposed makes it sound unfamiliar. The intervals are the same, but it can sound like an entirely different piece. It once took me 7 measures to recognize Sicut Cervus when sung in A major instead of the usual A flat.
    And though I usually just sing the notes I see, I can also read somewhat well by intervals. It becomes difficult when the note on the page is close but not matching what I hear and it feels like a wrong note so I go back to singing what's written. And it is VERY hard to find my place when I'm lost!
  • Liam
    Not me. My theory TA in college liked to transpose sight-singing exercises a tritone to handicap those with absolute pitch memory.

Being trained in horn, an F instrument, I had to learn to transpose even as much as a tritone (that was a bear, but I did get that skill, not that I had to use the tritone in concert because I never played the Brahms 2nd, but you had to be able to do it on request...or to show off). A lot of transposing. Lots. I suspect it would have been much hard if I had had absolute pitch.
  • Thank you for starting this conversation.

My director uses a tuning fork to find A. I use my ear. We almost never agree, but that has got me to reflect on something...

When I was younger, I used a tape recorder (so, I'm showing my age) to sending recordings across the Atlantic to my grandparents. When I listened to the voice (singing or spoken) it always sounded different than it did "live", as it were. When I listened to LPs (again, showing my age) I was always struck by how "out of tune" everything was. D-minor Tocattae and Fugae were not in D-minor, for example.

When I have helped my sons tune the violin, I find myself tuning "flat" from what most people think is proper, and my eldest has observed (by using a tuner on his phone?) that my sense of pitch is exactly a 1/2 tone "flat".

I was told at a young age that I had "perfect pitch", which as Jackson has observed, is more "absolute" than "perfect". I have always tuned using the same inner sense.

Is concert pitch changing, or is my perception set to the wrong modulation?
  • Liam
    Whatever your personal pitch is irrelevant if a director or ensemble is tuning to a different pitch. Concert pitches are a convention, not a Platonic reality. It's not like A=440 is a universal ultimate reality across time and space. I wonder if anyone has studied pitch "impression" on young auditory systems...
  • Interesting, Chris -
    I think that a possible reason for recorded music's not matching the absolute norm may be the speed of the turntable, the speed of the recorder, and such things. Too, it could be that your precision in hearing inwardly and singing an absolute pitch may somehow be due to factors related to how many birthdays you have had. I've noticed myself that once in a while my 'absolute pitch' is actually a little flat, which it never ever used to be - and this irks me greatly.

About tuning forks and pitch pipes - I am always irritated that a choirmaster should need one of these intrusive and unbelievably tacky sounds to communicate pitch. A tuning fork does have in its favour that only those nearby can hear it, but a pitch pipe is a sterling signifer that 'we're at sea for a pitch'. Using them is very unprofessional. A chord on the organ or piano is far better and more honest. Worst of all is arpegiating the chord, which really does say 'we're dumb...really dumb'. Within liturgy one should never just play a chord but should improvise a few bars in the style of the piece to set the key. One of the most important things a choirmaster should teach his or her choir early on is to pick their notes out of a chord. And if any should have the temerity to hum his or her pitch they should be severely reprimanded - if not pitched out.
  • I've had to give pitches before. It is, in my opinion, most professional to have a singer hum pitch because it is subtle and matches the sound of the choral work being performed. Second preference would be improvising into the starting chord.
  • Liam
    "And if any should have the temerity to hum his or her pitch they should be severely reprimanded."

The air seems a wee thin up there on Mount Olympus.
  • (almost completely off topic)
    All the good memories of Doc yelling at us not to hum pitches... those good old days...
    I still continue to pray that he's reinstated. I'd ask that everyone join with me.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I have no idea.

I suspect that this is a Byzantine quirk.

Yes, it's probably what they tune to on Mount Athos.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Also, thinking about CGM: I have read somewhere that in some places the pitch is rising, some orchestras are now tuning to A445 or more. Why, I don't know. I prefer a lower pitch standard anyway, but that's probably because I listen to a lot of early music on period instruments
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Considering how often it seems that the performance practice of various motets is actually around between a half and whole step lower than "written," it's safe to assume that "your" (general) perfect pitch is arguably irrelevant, and something that "you" have to get over.

;)
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Is concert pitch changing, or is my perception set to the wrong modulation?

We have had endless discussions on tuning and pitch on the trombone forum. A=440 is the standard in Europe. Most American orchestras tend to tune to A=444. So, yes you would be 1/2 tone flat

Also, thinking about CGM: I have read somewhere that in some places the pitch is rising, some orchestras are now tuning to A445 or more. Why, I don't know. I prefer a lower pitch standard anyway, but that's probably because I listen to a lot of early music on period instruments

Orchestras like to sound "bright". Playing slightly sharp gives that 'brightness'. Renaissance and Baroque 'period' players usually tune to A=432 or lower.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Indeed, we've had the discussion of historical pitches before. A lot of early music ensembles (think Renaissance & Medieval) perform at A415, which is a half tone down from A440. Note (in passing) that A440 is not half a tone lower than A444 or A445.

Like Corinne, I am an oboist, and I have had A440 imprinted in my memory from tuning orchestras other ensembles that I've played in. And, like her, I've always dealt with transposing and moveable tonic rather flexibly. I also played D-flat and C-piccolo, often sight transposing on one instrument from music written for the other. Additionally, I've played Oboe d'Amore parts (it's an A-transposing instrument) on and English Horn (an F-transposing instrument), as well as sight transposed alto or tenor voice parts on an English Horn (from the choral scores). It's never been a big deal for me.

As to absolute/perfect pitch "drift" ... I suspect, with others, that this is a physiological phenomenon related to aging, in which the cilia in the inner ear degrade.
  • francis
    yes... always had it but i have always explained it exactly as MJO... acute pitch memory. the thing that sometimes annoys me is that no matter where or when i listen to music the note names are all silently screaming their names in my mind. a kind of constant musical theory dissection taking place in my mind... it seems to be an addiction from which i will never escape.
  • a_f_hawkins
    What @francis describes seems to be in the realm of synaesthesia (or ideaesthesia). It is a fairly new subject, but it seems that pitch of notes has not yet attracted much attention, oddly.
  • wingletwinglet
    I always thought synaesthesia involved one sense triggering another. Francis, do you mean that you automatically analyze chords and pitches, thereby distracting yourself from just listening (which also happens to me)? Try listening to choirs tuned a quarter tone up!

I also have synaesthesia in various forms to a slight extent, and the key of a piece makes a huge difference in it a character (what do others with PP think?). But I also know some RP people with synaesthesia. Are those with PP more likely to have it?
  • What Francis describes is not synesthesia.
    Probably all are aware that hearing given sounds or even certain pitches triggers the sensation of colour, or taste, or some other sense than hearing is what constitutes synesthesia.

I think that what Francis describes might well be called Accute Analysis Syndrome.
  • francis
    MJO... yea. that is pretty accurate. as a result I cannot bear to attend a Mass where dreck is being performed or I will lose my mind. I sometimes have to walk out or I become angry and depressed. This also happens listening to Mozart or Beethoven. I can't bear the repetitive I, IV, V, I constantly hammering at my psyche.
  • dad29
    the key of a piece makes a huge difference in it a character

Yes, although that has nothing to do with PP.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • I share your abhorrence of unfortunate music, Francis. A musical mind will begin inevitably to assimilate music. It can turn off to it or tune it out for only so long. It then becomes existentially imperative for one to escape, the moreso if it is being gratuitously broadcast in one's presence (such as in a church) by smiling people who are acting like nothing is wrong. Often people have taken a look at me and respectfully turned their undesirable music off. Interesting, isn't it, that they really do know the difference and actually prefer the regretable for themselves.

Also, like Francis, I often perceive structural relationships and procedures in even quite sophisticated musical forms. I don't suppose for a minute that we are lacking in company in this. With polyphony, of course, one literally 'sees' linear procedures and relationships, whereas with basically homophonic structures one becomes acutely aware of the skeletal harmonic edifice. It is too bad, though, that this prevents Francis from being delighted with the absolute grace and genius of the melody, rhythm, counterpoint, and colour which these structures support. If all one hears is the harmonic skeleton, one is really missing the music! This is rather like observing a classical architectural facade and dismissing it as just another post and lintel system, while failing to apprehend the exquisite beauty of its Ionic or Corinthian vesture. (Or viewing the shape of a pricelessly embroidered antique chasuble and being vexed because it's just another chasuble-shaped vestment - while being oblivious to the intricate embroidery crafted by the most choice Belgian nuns which it displays.)
  • Reval
    "We have had endless discussions on tuning and pitch on the trombone forum. A=440 is the standard in Europe. Most American orchestras tend to tune to A=444. So, yes you would be 1/2 tone flat"

Is that in a certain region (of America)? Here in my part of the Midwest, it's always 440.
  • ...actually prefer...

That's because they value emoting over aesthetics. They aren't focused on chords. Only that it's catchy, has clever words, and has a backbeat implied if not outright played by a drum set. Any song or piece of music that emphasizes beats 2 & 4 in common meter seem to disrupt and distract rather than promote prayerfulness.
  • a_f_hawkins
    According to this 10 year old set of tables, Europe tends to tune higher, and the Brits mostly stick to A=440. If your concert hall has an organ, I guess you don't have much flexibility.
  • Jani
    I've pitched a few perfect softball games in the past, but honestly, it was slow-pitch....and that's as close as I'll ever get.
  • donr
    My wife can always find A=440 when I ask her to do it. But she claims it is learned pitch. She has been playing the piano since she was 5 years old. Her interval skills are superb and when she is singing with the choir and they go a little flat, she can't follow them she has to stop singing.
  • jefe
    Absolute Pitch. It has it's plusses and minuses. Sometimes saving the day, and sometimes just a curse. When I was playing bass trombone every day and night with the L.A. Phil or on Movie calls, or teaching, I had dead on absolute pitch. For me, it was a matter of resonance and pitch memory. When I was playing trombone in the same register as my voice, more or less, I was very accurate: about 100:1. This was further focused by using Chris Leuba's 'Intonation system', basically a Just Intonation format. Now that I've been retired for 10 years, and not playing nearly as much, my absoluteness had dropped almost a half step. Absolute?: not so much. When I go through fits of playing the horn again, my old memory/resonance returns. This has diminished somewhat by not playing the trombone as much. Over the years I even found out what key resonated me. Not A, but Ab. Beats me why. Some kind of resonance thing. I even had an Alpenhorn made by Julius Emenegger, the famous Alphornmacher, IN Ab and used my trombone mouthpiece. The minus is that I find it very difficult to read a piece of music and sing it in any other key other than a written. As a trombonist, I could read treble, Bb transposed, Eb transposed, mezzo soprano, alto, tenor, vocal tenor 8va treble clef, baritone (to a degree), horn in F, and bass clef with fluency. How about 'D' horn? Just put in a transposed 'c' alto clef. I was once standing backstage waiting for the concert to start with the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto. It had two horn parts and no trombone parts. The second horn player was no where to be found. The personnel manager was tearing his hair out trying to find a 2nd horn player to start the concert. I said, "i'll play second horn on my bass trombone, but it will cost you." "Anything; just get on the stage", was his reply. I sat down on the second horn chair to find the part was, indeed in D. Yep, alto clef to the rescue. This is the only way I could 'read' in a transposition other than as written: just find the appropriate clef to transpose it into my language. Now, about the pitch in my old orchestra, and in most of the big time orchestras in the U.S. It was A=442 for the 38 years I was there. Much of this had to do with tradition and the baseline pitch of the oboes. They have a very small window of pitch variance. So, the Mountain would always tune to Mohamed. Also, the big Steinway pianos that we used could only be cranked up so far. I find the three 'absolute pitch' people in my Compline groups are each in a different place, and therefore rather inflexible as to pitch. One is about 22 cents sharp; another is about 8 cents flat and yet another is about 80 cents flat (that would be me of late). That's just the way they're tuned. My Rx is to keep pushing the pitch up or transpose to another clef. Seems like a roundabout way to get there. I sat in the row behind a section of trumpets in the orchestra that all had absolute pitch. None were tuned to A=442. The section leader was about 6 cents flat; consistently flat. The second player was about 17 cents sharp. I consider this a plus in German Mid Classic literature (Schubert/Schumann) with the trumpets in octaves because of a concept I call 'octave compression', where the lower octave sounds sharp by itself compared to the composite of the two; and the upper octave sounds flat, by itself compared to the composite. They all had such a centered, hot, focused tone that they could blow right past any wayward 'beats' in the chord. This really comes into play with my ladies group, Voces angelorum. Since we have a row of tenors singing the lowest part, I'm constantly on them to sing sharper the lower they go. Every time, for a while, when they would go down by steps or other intervals, below low F, they would go too far going downhill, pitch-wise. Male basses don't have that woe, but the lowest ladies are confronted with the abyss and they've never lived there. They're finally getting the picture.So, to wrap it up, absolute pitch is no big deal and may be a negative depending. I would much rather have a Quire full of singers with good, relative pitch.
    jefe aka Jeff Reynolds
  • I have reasonably good pitch memory and can usually manage relative pitch. Occasionally I will remember the absolute pitch of some random note in a piece of music and if it is at variance with that in some future hearing/singing it will drive me nuts.

As an anecdote, we had a very capable piano tuner in this area that tuned by ear. For a brief period he had to cancel his tuning appointments, he had a bit of fluid in one ear and he was hearing everything almost exactly one step low on that side, while still hearing it correctly on the other ear. I myself have never ending problems with allergy related congestion, and I can certain say that it impacts my perception of pitch.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ...that tuned by ear....

A true artist!
    Tuning by ear is nowadays much less common than once it was. I'm always rather contemptuous of a tuner who needs one of those electronic tuning devices to buzz his notes and do the tuning for his imperfectly pitched ears. If possible I will shun them in favour of someone who 'knows his pitches'. This may be more true of organ tuners than piano ones.
  • Liam
    "I'm always rather contemptuous of . . . "

That won't necessarily help.
    Thanked by 1tsoapm
  • ...won't necessarily help.

Of course you are quite correct, Liam. Contempt rarely never has made a friend, but still, there are some things worthy of contempt, and a tuner who can't tune without a tuner is one of them. He or she will not be helped with or without contempt and should be doing something for which he has genuine talent.

Somewhere in my diary I have written that 'no one ever looked up to someone who was looking down on him'. So yes, you are right - we should try lovingly to to correct - but some will ornerily withstand correction with all their might - which is contemptible.
  • Very off topic, but Jeff, I didn't realize who you were until this post. I was a euphonium major in college studying with Dee Stewart and Dan Peranfoni at IU and had you on rotation in my CD player. Thanks for being an inspiration. Then and now.
  • jefe
    Andrew, I used to be somebody. And, BTW, it's Perantoni. Both Dan and Dee seem to be eternal, still showing up here and there in the brass world. How are you associated with Musica Sacra? Are you an organist or choir director? The only thing that makes much difference to me now is Compline. It's a weird devotion for a former brass player. Then again, maybe not. For 4 decades I conducted and arranged for the Moravian Trombone Choir, a pickup band of sopranino, soprano, alto, tenor and bass (and K-baB) trombonists, sometimes numbering 100 players, who filled kind of an Amerikanishe version of the German Posaunenchor. So, it was a short hop back to the vocal ensemble singing the same music in the same voicing. Which wind instrument is closest to the human voice? Yep, you guessed it. It's the trombone; and even more blending, the sacbut. I find many of the tunes I used with the posaunenchor work well in the ORIGINAL format: the vocal choir, especially the ATTB voicing. Alright, I think I've squeezed this topic enough.
    jefe
  • ...you guessed it...

Hmmm. Why do you assert that the trombone (next to the sackbut?) is 'closest to the human voice'? I can see a similarity in the way that a trombone can glissando just like the voice. Other than strings, no other instrument can do this (omitting the Ondes Martinot and maybe some other oddities). Beyond this there is certainly no similarity to the timbre of the human voice. Please clarify your very interesting boast.
  • MarkS
    Following Mr. Osborn off topic—

I had never considered this before, but the 'cello is often described as the string instrument closest to the human voice, and this is because of it's warm tone but also at least largely because of it's range (C—c''+, which encompasses most of the range of the human voice). The tenor trombone has a range of BB-flat to b'–flat (okay, that was from memory, and I'm not a brass guy, but I think I'm close!!) , making it the "'cello" of the brass family, and it is certainly more 'vocal' than woodwinds with similar range (bassoon). Although perhaps a case could be made for a well-played bass clarinet?

(Edited—I really should not attempt communication in any form prior to coffee in the morning.)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Oh, here we go again.....everybody knows the simulacra most associated with the human voice is the......tambourine!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Charles, do you really think so??? I should have thought it was the castinets.
  • Reval
    Come on now. Why so Euro-centric? The obvious choice is bongos.
  • wingletwinglet
    No, the brass was closer. https://youtu.be/ss2hULhXf04
  • jefe
    Osborn,
    I think you have me there. It's not a boast, just an historical observation. Many composers since the beginning have gravitated toward men's voices with trombones. It may that until Adolph Sax invented the valve around 1820 trombone was the only chromatic brass instrument that could accompany voices. I thought long and hard about the violoncello being a similar sound to the human voice. Yes, but not with that vibrato: not in Musica Sacra. I really cannot think of any other instrument, short of a Synth that is any closer. Here is a snippet of one who has broached this subject: "Relating Voices to instruments. As a guide to developing a concept, the instrumental arranger can better understand the complexities of range, tone quality, and the subtleties of voice texture by relating these to musical instruments. His knowledge of brass instruments may come to his aid when he relates trumpets to women's voices, and trombones to men's voices. Although trombones and men's voices are not identical, they are similar enough to help understand the voices of men."
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • kenstb
    I have it. It is not always a blessing though. In my parish, there are several guitarists who play at other masses and when their strings aren't properly tuned (ie..quarter-tone flat or worse) the effect on me is close to painful.