NCEA and Musica Sacra advocacy
  • Being a new educator in a parochial school, I have been doing research on best practices and trying to gain ideas from this forum and the experiences of others in order to have the best music education program I possibly can. So in the midst of this, I came across the National Catholic Education Association's webpage and saw they were having a convention in St. Louis in April. After reading their packet ( http://www.ncea.org/AsiCommon/Controls/BSA/Downloader.aspx ), I was very much let down to see that the only music advocacy of any sort throughout the entire weeklong conference, including presenters and vendors, was just one guy who wrote some songs to go with prayers to help students remember them better.
    I have read on this forum that the children are the future of sacred music in the church. Has CMAA ever had a booth or speaker at the NCEA conference to promote sacred music education in Catholic schools? Would this even be within the bounds of the mission of CMAA?
  • Andrew,

I don't think the CMAA would be welcome or allowed to present at a NCEA conference. In the NCEA's version of things, I believe you will find that CMAA does not qualify as either Catholic or Education.
  • I'm not familiar with the NCEA organization, but that's really a travesty of Catholic education if that is the case.
  • NCEA being?
  • NCEA is the "teacher's union" of Catholic education.

• While the characterization of NCEA as relentlessly mainstream, in many ways a teachers' union, and focused on mostly-secular notions of institutional effectiveness is accurate, they may not be as hostile to a CMAA presence as some think. If CMAA were a Latin-only, EF-only organization, yes, but in its commitment to true sacred music in all forms of the Roman Rite, probably not.

There is an organization of Catholic educators based on principles very closely aligned to those of CMAA: https://www.catholicliberaleducation.org/. A number of us active in CMAA have been to their annual conferences and helped provide music. They're very receptive to our materials, insights, and guidance.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Daniel,

Please share how the NCEA's definition of Music Education meshes with the mission of the CMAA. I have no reason to doubt your perception of their reception of your presentation, but I do not see how it could have been anything other than being polite.
  • I've never presented at any of their events. I would never say that their mission 'meshes' with that of CMAA, but I don't think there would be hostility. And polite, partial incomprehension is a possible first stage of opening minds and hearts to better things. Is it worth a concerted (sic) CMAA initiative? Probably not. Should all of the teachers and administrators attending NCEA conferences be written off? Definitely not.
  • Daniel,

Fair enough.

• KyleM18
    Judging on when San Diego hosted it the other year (we are in a musical deficit), it was very much PW music (although we did have All Creatures of our God and King). In other states, its been half organ half piano, but it all depends on what the local schools are doing (Hint hint, anyone want to become a teacher and make catholic school music sacred again?)

I suppose if they did it in a place like Salt Lake City, they'd have the Choir School provide the music.