Best English translation for Pange Lingua?
  • PLTT
    We will be alternating the Latin and English verses of the Pange Lingua this Holy Thursday. Which is a good English translation to sing the Pange Lingua to? The Caswall translation ("Sing , my tongue the Savior’s glory, of his flesh the mystery sing") is standard, but many in my congregation are not native English speakers.
  • KyleM18
    I've used both that Caswall translation and another version "Now, my tongue, the mystery telling" that he translated. Either are good, but for the most part, don't use the translations found in your hymnals unless they are either of the above.
  • Worthy of consideration is the J.M. Neale version found at no 66 in The Hymnal 1940.
    A translation by Percy Dearmer may be found at no. 69 in The Catholic Hymn Book (English),
    or at no. 95 in The English Hymnal.
  • Kathy
    While I usually feel the need to try my own hand when I hear inadequate translations, my spidey sense is silent on the Caswall.

The longer, latinate words at the ends of the odd-numbered lines are a result of the meter and syllable count of the original.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix