NAB Passion Gospels
  • ARe adequate chant settings of the New American Bible translation of the Passion Gospels available, or would my setting them be useful?
  • They are fairly widely available, but only in commercial versions. GIA publishes an edition as a large ceremonial book for Palm Sunday and Good Friday. It was edited by Bob Batastini and so if well done. A public domain/Creative Commons edition would be welcome, I should think. What don't exist are NAB-language (not unlike 'cheese-food') versions of either classic or modern polyphonic turba choruses.
  • Actually:

St. John Passion turba choruses by Victoria, NAB/Lectionary text:
    http://www.giamusic.com/products/P-5268.cfm
  • Oh yes, and Columba Kelly has a nice chant setting published with OCP that has choral turba choruses.
  • Sorry, I should have said for the Palm Sunday Passion--I've got the Victoria Saint John Passion.
  • francis
    So, what is the latest on a PD chanted passion? What does everyone recommend?
  • The GIA books are entirely suitable if one must use the horrible NAB texts.
  • francis
    I was hoping to find something suitable in the PD. Is there strict legislation about the passion text being the NAB?
  • chonakchonak
    A 1998 newsletter from the USCCB liturgy committee answers that question (in the context of Good Friday):

Only the approved and confirmed text from the Lectionary for Mass may be used for the proclamation of the Passion, as in number 12 of the General Introduction to the Lectionary for Mass:

"In the celebration of Mass the biblical readings with their accompanying Scriptural chants may not be omitted, shortened, or, worse still, replaced by nonbiblical readings. For it is from the word of God handed down in writing that even now 'God is speaking to his people' and it is from the continued use of Scripture that the people of God, docile to the Holy Spirit under the light of faith, receive the power to be Christ's living witnesses before the world."