Question about propers for May 29th
  • Esteemed colleagues,

I have visited the resources of the USCCB online, hoping against hope that the introit, offertory and Communion antiphons can be found there, for the Monday after Ascension Sunday-Thursday. (OF)

Where ELSE might I find these, since the bishops do not see fit to post them?

• CCoozeCCooze
    I could be way off, but wouldn't the propers be that of The Ascension?
    Viri Galilaei, Alleluia: Ascendit Deus, Alleluia: Dominus in Sina, Ascendit Deus, Data est mihi ?
    ....or else, that of the 7th Sunday of Easter?
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Chris, have you tried the Universalis website? Universalis.com
  • From Universalis.com

If you want to see texts for more than a week ahead (or for the distant past), then you need to get one of our apps or programs.

We have apps for:
    •iOS (iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch).
    •Android (phones and tablets).

We have programs for:
    •Windows.
    •Mac.

The programs let you create e-books for:
    •Amazon Kindle.
    •Other e-book readers (reading the ePub format).

All these formats give you access to unlimited dates. They also give you the Grail psalms for the Liturgy of the Hours, and the option of the NAB texts for Mass if you are in the USA.

I do not own an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch; nor an android, nor a kindle nor other e-reader...... in short, this site will be useful on the 22nd of May. It looks interesting, but is too limited to be helpful.

Corinne,

Given that it is a day in a week of Easter, does OF world use ferias in Eastertide?
  • OlivierOlivier
    2017 OF breviary ordo indicates that, regardless of what day Ascension is celebrated, Monday the 29th is the Monday of the Seventh Week of Easter. My 2011 hand missal gives the entrance and communion antiphons for that day, respectively, as "You will receive the power of the Holy Spirit coming upon you, and you will be my witnesses, even to the ends of the earth, alleluia" and "I will not leave you orphans, says the Lord; I will come to you again, and your heart will rejoice, alleluia."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I think, Chris, that we should establish a club -
    I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person in this world not to 'own an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch; nor an android, nor a kindle,' nor a blueberry, blackberry, gooseberry, or whateverberry. It actually took me some years to realise that all these people who walk about here and there talking to thin air were not crazy, and had not wandered out of an asylum. I guess that ere long they will be implanting stuff in us when we are born.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    The best resource for the propers is of course the Graduale Romanum (1974) itself. It's available online at the website of Corpus Christi Watershed. You can download the entire Graduale as a (large) pdf file.

The propers for Monday in the Seventh Week of Easter are (if Ascension is celebrated on a Thursday):

IN: Accipite iucunditatem
    AL: Spiritus Sanctus docebit vos
    OF: Lauda, anima mea
    CO: Spiritus qui a Patre procedit

And if Ascension is celebrated on a Sunday, the chants of the Seventh Sunday of Easter:

IN: Exaudi Domine
    AL: Regnavit Dominus
    OF: Ascendit Deus or Viri Galilaei
    CO: Pater cum essem
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen rarty
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    The universalis program is only about $30.00 U.S. Once you own one copy, you can use it on any and every electronic device or computer you own. I have it on my Mac at home, my PC at work and on my iPhone. One time payment, unlimited personal devices, unlimited updates and upgrades. Makes the LOH very easy to use at work or while travelling.
    Thanked by 3Spriggo CCooze CHGiffen
  • Jackson,

A club of Luddites? Sounds like fun.

SmVanRoode,

Thank you for that helpful information. I have a Graduale Romanum in hardcover, but I did not see the weekday Mass antiphons. I guess I will have to look harder next time.

B.H. Cordova,

"There's an APP for that" is, someday, going to be a line in a tragedy written about our era. I do not know if it will survive in the originally-intended context, but I am thinking rather that it will show up in the tragic version of Sgt. Schultz.

I own a laptop computer and a flip phone, and that is quite far enough into the digital swamp, thank you very much. (Be amused, if you like, that I live in Silicon Valley).

Besides, my Breviary is not difficult to carry or navigate, even though it does not come with a back-lit screen.

So as to steer this conversation to a larger issue, now that I have the answer to my original question, could we address the question: "What kinds, and how much, digital intervention/assistance is appropriate in the liturgy?"

Consider this: while Mass can be celebrated on the front of a jeep in a warzone, this does not mean that jeeps should be placed in every parish, or that altars should be configured to look like jeeps. So, in a pinch, the intervention is permitted, but clearly not considered normal once the urgent situation passes.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Yes, if you want to sing the processionals in Latin, its all in GR if you can find it, or GS. But suppose you want to sing them in English, does a translation even exist? The Society of St Gregory (in England) have compiled a set for Sundays and Feastdays, available from the English/Welsh bishops at. In the particular case of Monday 7th week of Easter, some of the propers can be found, since Offertory is same as 3rd Sunday of Easter, but the Alleluia is from the Common of Apostles and not in this book. Has ICEL provided a translation, and if so where could we find it, and WHY OH WHY is it not easier to do what the church says it wants us to do? Note: I like Universalis, but it does not give the singing texts, and therefor includes no Offertory antiphons.