Looking for SATB "Christus Factus Est" in English
  • Heath
    Pick-up choir for our Tenebrae service this year and I'd love to conclude with an English "Christus Factus Est" (a cappella) . . . any SATB settings out there that I can peruse?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Rutter provides fairly decent English versions of the Bruckner motets in European Sacred Music.
  • My choir has had success singing Alan Smith's "The Song of Christ's Glory" published by CanticaNova Publications: http://canticanova.com/catalog/products/cnp5049.htm

Good choral writing, not terribly difficult, and organ accompaniment. Solemn and stately.

Regrettably, not a cappella...
  • CGM
    Dear Heath,

Since you've done so much of this, I thought to follow your lead: I've taken a very simple Anerio "Christus factus est" (suitable for a pick-up choir) and recast it with text in English. The original is here. I opted to omit the tempo markings, but you can put 'em back in if you wish (rall. in m. 15, più mosso in m. 17, and rall. again in m. 25).

Hope this modest motet may prove suitable.
    Thanked by 4CHGiffen Heath donr jefe
  • Heath
    CGM, don't encroach on my niche! My "Englishing" skills are all I have working for me! ; )

Thanks for this! I just may give it a run!
    Thanked by 1CGM
  • CGM
    P.S. CHGiffen & Heath, I made a couple of minor changes (underscore & fermatas), so if you downloaded the piece earlier, you might want to download it again.
    Thanked by 3Heath CHGiffen jefe