Sacred Music Workshop: reactions
  • The Institute of Christ the King presented a workshop over the weekend, at St. Francis de Sales Oratory in St. Louis, Missouri.

Nearly every apostolate was represented.

I really enjoyed the workshop.

Here is the music we sang for the Mass:

CHANT
    Mode 4 Asperges Me
    Propers
    Mass XVII Sanctus only
    Credo II
    Mass XVII Benedicamus Domino

Procession: Jaquet de Mantua O Jesu Christe
    At Offertory: F. Suriano Ave Regina Coelorum
    At Communion: Attende Domine, arr. John Osterhagen. Available from CanticaNOVA [choir sang only the Refrain]
    Kyrie and Benedictus Joseph Rheinberger, Mass in G
    Agnus Dei Claudio Casciolini

We also chanted Vespers and Compline, including the Ave Regina Caelorum festal tone

Many thanks to our professors (Canons Huberfeld and Lebocq, and Mr. Nicholas Botkins, for ) and to our host, Canon Wiener.

One particularly noteworthy detail: I understand Chironomy much better than I did previously.

• No disparagement meant, Chris, but how better do you understand chironomy. I'm not being facetious, but having read and studied it for quite some years it remains to me a highly subjective species of hand movements which, presumably, are related to the contours of a chant melos. I think that any talented choirmaster who knows chant could direct it as well without consciously performing chironomy, chironomy being rather different in every book that has ever been written about it and every chanteur who has ever performed it.
  • Jackson,

Until this weekend, I would have entirely agreed with you about "a highly subjective species of hand movements". I saw a well-reasoned presentation by Canon Lebocq. It reminded me of a presentation by a priest from the National Bioethics center some years ago, which rendered lucid some very technical points of bioethics, philosophy and genetics.

In general, though, I still agree with the notion that any singer who is now a choirmaster has a sense of how to direct chant. Too few chant singers direct, though.

Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Chris -
    I'll take your word about Canon Lebocq.
    I think, though, that one could expect his presentation to render lucid what before wasn't, at least what wasn't in relation to it. I would maintain that this lucidity is self-referential solely to his own highly subjective approach and that his 'lucidation' had validity only in relation to his interpretation.

I don't, though, wish to dispute this further. Perhaps it would be constructive for you to share some of Canon Lebocq's method for our enlightenment.
  • Perhaps it would be constructive for you to share some of Canon Lebocq's method for our enlightenment.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • For a good reference regarding the basics of chironomy as practiced by Canon Lebocq, see Carroll's The Technique of Gregorian Chironomy.