Latin Psalmody Recordings
  • madorganist
    My schola handles the ordinary and proper of the Mass beautifully (for the most part), but those who haven't studied Latin have a lot of difficulty with psalm tones. They trip over the words and aren't able to get through the verses as quickly as I'd like. Practicing psalm verses can take up a great deal of valuable rehearsal time that would better be spent working on other things. One solution is for me to chant the psalm verses myself, but I would much prefer to alternate between two halves of the schola. My question:
    Does anyone know of a good online resource for recordings of the Vulgate psalter - either spoken, recited recto tono, or chanted to psalm tones?
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • madorganist
    Found this, but it's a little on the slow side.
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    Are you looking for just psalms, or would hours from the office do?

I have a site for posting daily recordings of EF lauds: dominusregnavit.wordpress.com
    For the monastic office, there is: Le Barroux
  • Simon
    It's the Nova Vulgata but the project is almost completed including a book with the psalms and antiphons used - all 150 psalms on 12 CDs. See: www.psalmchant.com
    Thanked by 1JonathanLC
  • MO, I'm a bit confused when you specify potentially chanted psalms as a resource... Wouldn't it depend on what you are using as your originating source for chanting? For example, if you are using the Rossini Propers, wouldn't you want something that chants the psalm-tone of the Proper in the given mode / termination? I guess I'm not sure how valuable a resource simply having psalms chanted in any tone would necessarily be to a group that will be using a different tone.

I really like your link above - but I agree that it is a bit slow! :)
  • I was more concerned about the Latin diction than fitting the words to a specific formula.
  • And what is this formula?
  • The cadence/termination of any given psalm tone
  • Simon
    The above site that I listed above includes several examples of cadence/termination of several given psalm tones. See at bottom of page: http://psalmchant.com/showcase.html
    In May 2018 all 150 psalms in many variations of all psalm tones will be available on 12 CDs (with 184 antiphons - many antiphons published for the first time and including a book of all psalms and calligraphed antiphons - some 250 pages!).This project is a monument for Gregorian chant - equal to the St. Paul's Cathedral (directed by John Scottt) project of all the psalms in Anglican Chant. Really worth looking at.
  • EIGHT AND A HALF MONTHS! Everyone can see the original post above. It should be obvious that it's about learning the Latin text, not memorizing psalm tones. The psalm tone information may be very helpful to other forum members. Why not start another thread about it?